Fun Friday–STICK A FORK IN IT . . .

Friday, May 4, 2012

This week, I turned in Follow the Heart to my editor, Julie Gwinn, at B&H Publishing. I cannot begin to express just how relieved I am to have it in her very capable hands!

As the image above shows, what I turned in is a little “undercooked.” Now, that’s how I like my steaks, but not how I like my books. But I know that the brilliant editorial team at B&H will grill that book (and me) until it’s WELL DONE. šŸ˜€

As I neared the end of the book, I had an idea for a potential follow-up series to this one—a series set at Mrs. Headington’s Home for Wayward Women. A place where women from wealthy families go when their reputations have been compromised and they need to be “reformed.”

I thought I’d share a few images that really helped me out in writing this book, especially toward the end.

Photo credit Logan Brown via flickr.com
The Orangery at Dumbarton Oaks

Day dress, early 1850ā€™s United States, MFA Boston
(It’s actually blue, but I changed the color)

Panoramic view inside the Crystal Palace at the Great Exhibition (click to enlarge)

The opening ceremony of the Great Exhibition, May 1, 1851
(click to see full size)

Queen Victoria (in pink), Prince Albert (in uniform),
and other dignitaries at the opening of the Great Exhibition, May 1, 1851
(click to see full size)

Have a great weekend—I know I will!

1. debraemarvin permalink
    Friday, May 4, 2012 4:48 am

Congratulations! You are quite impressive in the home stretch! Wow.

• Friday, May 4, 2012 6:51 am

Thanks, Debra! It feels so good to know I can concentrate on my new job and not have to worry about much else for a few weeks (planning to start book two on June 1).

2. Audry permalink
    Friday, May 4, 2012 5:06 am

Woohoo! Good job getting it done (rare, or not) šŸ˜€

• Friday, May 4, 2012 6:59 am

I told my friend Ruth that for the last couple of weeks, the experience of writing has felt a lot like what it must be like to suffer from insomnia. You know if you could just fall asleep, you’d feel so much better. I could occasionally slip into the zone when writing a scene, but it rarely lasted more than an hour or two, unlike the last couple of books, with which I literally wrote ten or twelve hours a day, and couldn’t get out of the story world when I wasn’t writing. With this book, I had to force myself to think about the characters and story, and even then, my mind would drift—just like lying in bed at 2 AM, exhausted and not able to fall asleep. It was frustrating. And exhausting.

3. Michelle permalink
    Friday, May 4, 2012 5:40 am

Congrats on finishing!!

4. Sherrinda permalink
    Friday, May 4, 2012 5:41 am

Yayyyy!!!! So what are you doing to celebrate this accomplishment?

• Friday, May 4, 2012 7:04 am

Tomorrow, I’m going to a book swap hosted by (fellow author) Liz Johnson. And some time this weekend, my girlfriends and I will be going to see The Avengers. Oh, and I downloaded Mockingjay last night, so I’m sure that will figure greatly into my weekend plans, too!

• Sherrinda permalink
        Friday, May 4, 2012 7:59 am

I let my son go to the midnight showing of The Avengers last night. He said it was good! I just downloaded Catching Fire yesterday, so I hope to read that this weekend.

But ohhhhh, a book swap! That sounds like so much fun!

5. Friday, May 4, 2012 6:39 am

Yayyyyy! Been looking forward to this post from you. Congratulations!

• Friday, May 4, 2012 7:05 am

I would have posted it earlier in the week, but what with the new job and the post-book-finishing fatigue, it seemed okay to leave it for today.

6. Friday, May 4, 2012 6:49 am

Yay, Kaye!!!!! Now go take a nap!

• Friday, May 4, 2012 7:08 am

Wish I could, but I have to be at work at 8 AM. The 130+ students in the cohort I’m advisor for start their first class tomorrow, so I think it’s going to be a busy day. But almost everyone else will be out of the office today (over at the main campus in McKenzie), so it’ll be quiet.

7. booktalkandmore permalink
    Friday, May 4, 2012 8:01 am

Congratulations!! See you tomorrow to celebrate! šŸ™‚

Ruth

8. Anita Smith permalink
    Friday, May 4, 2012 10:19 am

Hip, hip, hooray! Fun Friday for you, indeed! Glad to know you’ve reached another milestone which will allow you to enjoy your weekend more. šŸ™‚ I’m reading “Turnabout’s Fair Play”, and will probably loan all three Matchmakers to my mother-in-law to read this summer, because I know she’ll love the premise of these stories. Hope the new job is going well. Have a good one!

9. Rachel Wilder permalink
    Friday, May 4, 2012 12:44 pm

Yay!!! I can’t wait to read it. I never let myself read the whole synopsis from the proposal so I wouldn’t spoil the end.

10. Ann Street permalink
    Friday, May 4, 2012 6:07 pm

Hooray! Way to go! Can’t wait to read it and the new series idea sounds like a real good one.

11. Friday, May 4, 2012 8:42 pm

I like that new series idea very much. Lots of good conflict potential there. Congrats on getting the current novel in to your editor!

12. Saturday, May 5, 2012 4:02 am

Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing the finished version.

13. Saturday, May 5, 2012 10:43 pm

CONGRATS on finishing your novel. =)