The Most Fun Couple I’ve Ever Written

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I just finished the galley edit for Turnabout’s Fair Play—the last book I’ve completed and the last book I had under contract. (No, I haven’t stopped writing, I just don’t have any new contracts.) One thing we authors complain about, to each other, is when we’re doing interviews and we’re asked which is our favorite book or character (or both) that we’ve written. It’s like asking a parent which is their favorite child! I always answer that I have favorite things about each book I’ve written. But, having just finished re-reading Turnabout (and the blog posts and comments during that last week I was writing it when Flannery and Jamie “took over” my blog), I have to admit . . . Flannery and Jamie are the most fun couple I’ve ever written. I initially had a little trouble getting in to their heads, but once I let go of any preconceived ideas of who they were and what secrets they were hiding and just let them take over . . . well, if you followed along in May, you’ll know that I was able to write almost 78,000 words in under two weeks. And writing those “takeover” blog posts really helped (and once the book comes out in November, you may even recognize some of the back-and-forth from their comments on those posts in their interaction in the book).

And now . . . because I had to rewrite it based on how the book actually turned out from where I’d originally thought it would go when I wrote the proposal two years ago . . . here’s the new suggested back-cover copy I sent in along with my galley edits:

The matchmaker has met her match. . .

Flannery McNeill has sworn off men. . .at least the handsome, charming kind, as they’re nothing but trouble. So when handsome and charming Jamie O’Connor shows up as an usher at her best friend’s wedding, she tries her best to avoid him. But it seems like someone is conspiring to throw them together. Two someones, to be exact: Flannery’s grandfather and Jamie’s grandmother.

Maureen O’Connor thinks Kirby McNeill’s granddaughter will be perfect for her grandson and convinces the handsome gentleman to help her bring the two together. But soon, the matchmakers will find the tables turned on them when Flannery conspires with Jamie to play matchmaker, too.

As the juniors scheme to bring the seniors together, a hilarious tumult of mayhem and misconceptions ensues. . .but will it end in romance?

Coming November 2011

1. Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:34 pm

Only 3 more months till I can read it!!!! I’m going to miss them all.

• Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:36 pm

As I was reading through the galley, I made a list of the things I want to be sure to blog about when the time comes (October) for the behind-the-scenes posts. Like Ransome’s Quest, this may be one I’m going to sit down with and re-read once the actual books arrive.

2. Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:40 pm

Love the new back-copy! I can’t wait!!

• Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:53 pm

Hopefully, they’ll go with something close to this. Here’s the original copy they sent me:

Jamie O’Connor knows his grandmother Maureen has matchmaking on the mind when she starts inviting him to events where single women are present. Realizing she’s somewhat smitten with an older gentleman, Jamie decides to turn the tables on Maureen by agreeing to meet Kirby McNeill’s granddaughter Flannery at dinner—with both grandparents there.

Flan is thrilled that her widowed grandfather is now attending church. So when he invites her to meet a grandson of a woman from his single seniors’ group, she agrees to go along—only to encourage her grandfather. Then Flan winds up conspiring with Jamie to play matchmaker, too, and soon wonders how she’ll be able to tolerate spending so much time with Jamie and his over-inflated ego.

And since there ended up being no invitations to events with single women present and the “agreeing to meet Kirby McNeill’s granddaughter” turned out differently, I had to change it.

3. Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:41 pm

I love the sound of this story, Kaye. I agree these two were fun on the blog so I can only imagine how they’ll cut loose when given a whole book to play in.

• Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:54 pm

Hopefully what’s fun in short snippets won’t become annoying in 100,000 words!

• Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:55 pm

(And, no, they’re not constantly sniping like that at each other throughout the whole book!)

4. Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:46 pm

Congrats, Kaye. It must be truly satisfying to feel as though your finished product is fun for you as much as for the readers. Looking forward to it.

• Tuesday, August 2, 2011 4:54 pm

My biggest fear is knowing that what the author loves and what the reader loves aren’t always the same thing. Many times, what the author thinks is the best/funniest/most brilliant thing she’s ever written turns out to be the thing that the reader hates the most. So, we’ll see if readers feel the same way about Jamie and Flannery as I do.

5. Tuesday, August 2, 2011 6:18 pm

I absolutely loved the week that Flannery and Jamie took over your blog. I’m really looking forward to reading the book.

• Tuesday, August 2, 2011 10:50 pm

I’m thinking that may not be the last time they take over this blog! 😉

6. Sandy A permalink
    Wednesday, August 3, 2011 11:44 pm

So excited and looking forward to reading it! Read The Art of Romance a few weeks back and was sad when it ended! Love your books! Keep them coming!

• Thursday, August 4, 2011 10:51 am

I was kind of sad when I finished reading through Turnabout . . . but then I remembered that I get to re-experience it in October when I do my behind-the-scenes blog posts (giving me even more excuses to post pix of Alex O’Loughlin, the template for Jamie) and do the giveaways of the book!

Trackbacks