I’ve Lost that Loving Feeling (for writing)…

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

sad-puppyI just posted this on Facebook, but thought I’d expand my reach as much as I could by posting it here, too.

I need your help—your support.

I’ve forgotten what it means to love writing. To love creating characters and storylines and conflicts and happy endings.

If you’ve ever been in a place in which you’ve had to regain your love for something you once had a passion for, how did you do it?

Help me, oh my lovely readers. You’re my only hope. πŸ˜‰

1. Carol permalink
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:25 pm

Kaye, I’m so sorry you’re dealing with this. I have no words of wisdom. But I wonder what it was about writing you fell in love with? Is there some environment or circumstance you can recreate?

Liked by 1 person

• Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:32 pm

Writing used to be my escape, my way of dealing with stress. Then, being a full-time writer, writing (and deadlines) became the stress. Things were so bad there at the end (when dealing with everything that happened with B&H canceling my contract, trying to write books for money and not because I was passionate about them, almost having to declare bankruptcy and/or move in with my parents at age 40, etc.), the idea of sitting down to write brings all of that back. It doesn’t matter if I handwrite, change my location, or anything else. I allow those feelings to overwhelm the joy I know I could be feeling by getting lost in writing a story I love.

Another big part of the problem is that I’m not in love with the characters in the story I’m trying to write. All of my other stories have started with the characters—I fell in love with them first, then let the stories build organically around them. This time, I had the idea for the plot (for The Spymaster’s Daughter) and basically just plugged in some characters that seemed like they’d fit. I didn’t spend (nor have I spent) enough time developing characters I love before I started trying to plow through a first draft.

Liked by 2 people

2. Lori DiAnni permalink
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:35 pm

I was at where you are until just recently. What brought back that “love of writing” was going to a writer’s meeting and feeling that old feeling I had so many years ago. It also helped that all the writers encouraged me to keep at it, not to give up. For some reason, I felt inspired, motivated and got the mojo back to write. I hope this might help.

Liked by 1 person

• Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:39 pm

Lori, I think you’re right on track. That’s one of the things I’ve been thinking about recently—it’s been more than two years since I had a local writing group that I met with regularly (twice a month, most months), and around that same time, I dropped my membership in ACFW. I do still have an online writing community—the faculty, alumni, and current students in my grad-school program—but it’s not the same since very few of them write the same kind of stuff I do.

• Wednesday, September 21, 2016 11:16 pm

So perhaps you need some feedback on your writing. One of my friends has just had her new ms betaread by another writing friend, and says that’s given her the impetus to get back into it.

Or perhaps you need to give yourself permission to write something different. If this project isn’t exciting you, find a character who does. Perhaps switch back to contemporary?

3. Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:37 pm

Maybe you need to change it up…not a happy ending for instance. Start from the end and move to the front. Let the characters create themselves. Leave your comfort zone. I have a hidden writer inside me. Someday maybe she will take her own advice. Good luck.

Liked by 1 person

• Tuesday, September 20, 2016 9:40 pm

Well, considering that I write romance novels, I’m kind of locked into having a happy ending. πŸ˜‰

4. Tuesday, September 20, 2016 10:35 pm

Something else I realize I haven’t done in YEARS—take my laptop into the bedroom with me at night and sit in bed, with only a 40-watt bulb in the bedside lamp (so the rest of the room/house is dark) and write before falling asleep. It used to be my most prolific time to write, but I quit doing it when I became a “professional” writer and had to churn out more than 1,000 or so words a day.

5. Wednesday, September 21, 2016 4:57 am

What a brave post, Kaye. If it helps, you are not alone!

If you don’t love your characters, can you put them in a box and forget about them for a while? Stop thinking about them and focus on another story? I find that if I try to force writing, it sucks the pleasure from it.

Liked by 1 person

• Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Erica, I think that’s part of the problem. They’ve been “in the box” since June or July. I’m going to try taking them out and playing with them for a few weeks before I try to start writing again. πŸ™‚

6. Anne C permalink
    Wednesday, September 21, 2016 10:37 am

All of my thoughts have been already brought up by these wonderful ladies! Going back to how you used to do the process, writing conference, taking a break from this current story, and writing something just for yourself. The last thing I would add is to take time to ask God what he wants you learn right now. He is is constantly showing us who he made us to be, and on top of that he uses us differently in different situations. He is trying to bring His best out of you! And maybe break off things that keep you from that. My husband is a writer and the process of putting together a book with editors, publishers, etc, can be infuriating. We go back to, “What does God want us to do? What is he asking us to submit to here?” Thank you for posting! It was very brave.

Liked by 1 person

• Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Thanks, Anne! Believe me, that’s been a big part of my thought/prayer process.

7. Wednesday, September 21, 2016 12:18 pm

Hi, Kaye. I’m plugging away and trying to find an agent for a book that was cancelled last July by Month9/Tantrum (Yes, one of the 50 that were cut) This was after the book went to copy edits–and the option book was written.I have others I’m writing and about to query. This is one tough (on the heart) business. May the road smooth out for you! Wishing you great success!

Liked by 1 person

• Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:18 pm

Hi, K. L.—thanks for stopping by. I’m so sorry that the road’s been rough for you, too. Hopefully better things (and smoother paths) are on the horizon for both of us!

8. Wednesday, September 21, 2016 1:54 pm

You are wonderful writer. Perhaps it’s time to write something just for yourself with no deadlines and for no purpose other than your pleasure. You’ve given so much of your time to help other writers. Thank you. Please don’t give up your gift. Hugs.

Liked by 1 person

• Wednesday, September 21, 2016 6:20 pm

As always, thanks for being a constant supporter and encourager, Shelia.

I actually started out writing this story with that mindset—just for me, no pressure, try to go back to the way I used to write (seat of the pants), etc. And I think that’s what’s stalled me out. I got so used to outlining and advanced preparation before writing that I just got lost in the middle with no map to get me back out again. So I think it’s time to break out all of the tools and processes I developed when I was writing on deadline and see if I can’t combine the two and find happiness somewhere in the middle.

9. Thursday, September 22, 2016 2:54 pm

You sound like like did a few weeks ago.

I’m writing a romance novel and have had ups and downs with the writing, editing, and submitting of my story. I came to a point where what was my passion became my dread. Writing left me cold.

I picked up Jordan Rosenfeld’s book: A Writer’s Guide to Persistence:How to Create a Lasting and Productive Writing Practice. I’ve worked my way through a little over half of the book and have experienced so many ah-ha moments. I didn’t have time to work through a book, but I didn’t have time to sit and spin my writing wheels, either.

Your sharing your struggles is on of her many suggestions. I wish you luck on finding your Mojo.

10. Kate Akele permalink
    Friday, September 23, 2016 1:45 pm

And I thought I was the only one going through this..I have a manuscript in a PC waiting to be completed. The plot is in my head but to put it down..That is another story..Am sending this from Ibadan in Nigeria anyway. I have read three of your books- the last series on your list. Loved them. I pray you get your groove back though.. I would love to get more of your books though but I can’t with the kibosh put on cross country purchases*eyeroll*..The Naira has been devalued and has crashed against the dollar..

11. Sunday, October 2, 2016 10:56 pm

It’s been a few days since this post so hopefully you’ve rekindled your love for writing again. But if you haven’t, have you considered taking a break, if possible. I’m kind of on the same boat except I lost some of the passion for a current work instead of writing in general. I set it aside for a week and flip-flopped between artistic projects and watching television shows or movies that inspire storytelling in me. The Hallmark Channel is great for romance inspiration. Something that also works for me is brainstorming ideas, whether I plan to use them or not, and looking up screenshots for potencial scenes, a method inspired by you. I hope you get your fire back soon. No one can tell a story quite like you can:) God Bless!

Trackbacks

1. #FirstDraft60: Day Zero—Are You Ready to Write a Story? #amwriting #nanoprep #nanowrimo | KayeDacus.com