#FirstDraft60 Day 33 — Saturday Review and Catch-Up
Saturdays throughout this challenge are going to be our days to review what we’ve covered during the week, and to catch up on anything we fell behind with. And now that we’re writing, it’s time to catch up with word count if we’ve fallen behind during the previous week, too.
When doing any kind of a challenge like this in which the goals are cumulative, it’s always good to build in a day (or two) to be able to get caught up on anything we’ve fallen behind with. Because most of us work during the week, we have more time to do this on the weekends. So until October 30, be sure to set aside time on your weekend, whether on Saturday or Sunday to stop, update your Story Bible, and get caught up on your word count.
This isn’t permission to slack off during the week. It’s to give you permission to not beat yourself up if you don’t meet your daily word-count goals or if circumstances make it impossible to write on a day you’d planned to. As long as you give it your best effort and the complete it by the end of the week, you’ll be able to stay on track.
So let’s begin.
Assignments for Saturday:
- Review everything you’ve written so far. Remember that we’re draft writing, so don’t spend too much time revising—but making a few corrections or revisions/additions here or there is okay. But it’s better during this process to make notes (in the Revisions section of your Story Bible and/or in comments in your document) of what you’re going to want to change once you finish the first draft and start your rewrites/revisions for your second draft.
- Update your Story Bible and Style Guide based on everything you wrote this week.
- If you’re behind on word count, do some 1k1h sprints this weekend to get caught up (and possibly get ahead).
- Once you’ve caught up and have everything updated, do some “what if” brainstorming and see if you can come up with some additional ideas for either the characters themselves or for your story/plot. Have fun with this. And if you feel inspired to write some more, do it!
- Check in and let us know how you’re doing, what you’ve accomplished, and what you hope to achieve this weekend.
Above all else, have a great weekend!
- Share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to email (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)