Writer-Talk Tuesday: What Are You Writing? (June 2012)

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

It’s the first Tuesday of the month, so that means it’s time to talk about what we’re working on when it comes to writing. Remember, it doesn’t have to be writing novels or nonfiction. It can be poetry, blogging, book reviews, a daily journal, or even trying to make yourself write in your baby’s baby book once a week.

So . . . what are you writing?

I’m already behind my goal of 1,000 words a day on An Honest Heart for the months of June, July, and August—mostly because my parents were in town for the weekend, which meant no interest in writing. As of today, I should have already written 4,000 words. But I’m not going to pressure myself to get caught up. My goal for this week is at least get 1,000 words a day, whether or not I get can get to “where I’m supposed to be”—I just don’t want to get so far behind that I spend all of September stressing out over getting a first draft finished. I want to be working on revisions at that point. But, how’s this for inspiration to get started writing the book (click to view the full-size image):

Dr. Neal Stradbroke (Chris Hemsworth)

1. Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:14 am

Editing my first novel…still…again…over and over. *headdesk*
    I’m wondering if it’s time to consider a career change.

2. Vanya permalink
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:09 am

After messing about brainstorming for a long time, I’m finally working on my first draft of my historical novel. And can I just say a great big thank you here for your how to write articles. Indispensable is the word that springs to mind.
    The novel is set in the highlands during the ’45, but I’m trying to make it more Rom Com than anything else. (Yes I’m weird.)

3. Tuesday, June 5, 2012 5:47 am

You and I have the same goal…1000 words a day. Annnnd, I’m behind just like you! My daughter came into town for 4 days and I spent every moment with her. 🙂

But I am determined to get this regency wip finished by the end of August!

4. booktalkandmore permalink
    Tuesday, June 5, 2012 10:13 am

That’s a really really really pretty picture. 🙂

Ruth

5. Tuesday, June 5, 2012 12:02 pm

Welllll…..confession….I’m behind in blogging and in writing! I’m blaming my parents. LOL…Are we ever too old to blame our parents? My dad has had a lot of health issues and we’ve had to travel…about 3 hours each way to help take care of whatever was/is going on. But I haven’t given up…perseverance wins the race, right? Thanks Kaye for allowing me to “vent!” Blessings on your writing!

6. Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:09 pm

Ooh! That’s some yummy inspiration right there.

I am writing a science fiction romance right now. I’m almost to 34,000 and though I have no goals with it I average about 1500 words a day. Seven days a week. Just for the sheer fun of it. I have no plans to stop before it’s done. Didn’t get much on it yesterday, but I did get a chapter finished, added some details to a previous one since I figured out the steel in question is nano-steel. (I think nanotechnology is *super* cool)

My blog, however, has been sadly neglected of late. I’m so wrapped up in this thing it’s not leaving much brain space for anything else.

7. Tuesday, June 5, 2012 3:29 pm

I’m behind, but not in a bad place. No writing last weekend due to end of school year stuff/family time. But I’ve got three short stories in progress and a synopsis for my next novel project. The shorts need to get done and out by mid-July, which I’m confident I can do. I think I’m going to use NaNo’s August summer camp to make headway on the novel draft, but I’m going to get started on it now.

8. Thursday, June 7, 2012 1:56 am

Polishing my first novel, The Everlasting, set on Phillip Island in Australia in 1875.

And who is from Phillip Island that you and I both ‘know’? (Not the way Miley Cyrus knows him)

Non other then Chris Hemsworth. Your Dr Stradbroke! How’s that for a quick trip around the world and back again. xx

9. chrissiedesign permalink
    Thursday, June 7, 2012 8:07 pm

I’m struggling with time. We just brought a 17 year old into the house to get her out of a bad situation, and I have no time. How do you find it?

I’m working on what will probably be a novelette. Tempering.

I’m working on prompt pieces just to keep my feet wet – a paranormal one (just because it’s out of my comfort zone), a doxology I’ve always wanted to try, a haiku a day (shyea right 😛 ), and two contest pieces.

I need to submit a work for critique to my new writing group by next Wednesday.

What have I gotten myself into?! 😛