Writer-Talk Tuesday: April 2012 Writing Update

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

As I posted to my family and close friends on Facebook on Sunday:

I’m struggling so hard with trying to get this book written, I think what I may need to do is go ahead and write the few key scenes I know I want and then the ending, call the first draft finished, and then start over again, see what can be salvaged and if having an ending makes filling in the middle any easier.

Follow the Heart is due on May 1, and at this point, I’m starting to feel like I’m never going to get it finished. I’m lost. The story is lost. I’m not connecting emotionally with the characters. It feels like it’s going nowhere. In two hours on Sunday afternoon I barely eeked out 788 words. And most of those were forced and no good at all.

I’ll do it because I must. Because I’ve made a commitment, signed a contract, agreed to a deadline. Somehow, in the next four weeks, I’ll find the story. I’ll fall back in love with the characters. I’ll get the manuscript finished and turned in.

But I certainly do understand why so many writers become alcoholics. 😉

Because of only having four weeks to get this book finished, I’m going to take a hiatus from blogging daily in the remainder of April. I might post occasionally, but not every day. I will update my word-count counter (over on the right-hand side) and I will post to let you know when I’ve finished and turned in the manuscript.

Your turn. How’s your writing been going since last month’s update?

1. Sherrinda permalink
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 5:25 am

Oh I can relate, Kaye! And I’ll be praying for an extra measure of creativity and for God’s words to flow through you onto the page. May he bring you inspiration and desire for the words he will bring you. (((hugs)))

2. Tuesday, April 3, 2012 6:56 am

Praying for you. I don’t have deadlines yet, (at least for my own books) but I can totally relate on falling out of love with a story.

3. debraemarvin permalink
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 8:35 am

my computer died and because I have lost my job, my writing dropped to zero. Thankfully it happened the morning after I submitted to a contest and not before. So I’ve done a lot of reading. And I’ve been blessed that someone gave me a used laptop. Once I get WORD installed, I can get back to work on my story.

Kaye, I’m praying for you right now that you will find the excitement with these characters. I know I am really looking forward to it–love the time period and setting!

4. Tuesday, April 3, 2012 10:24 am

Kaye, I understand every word you posted. Sometimes the work we struggle with the most becomes our best. Like Deb, I can’t wait to meet your characters as I love the whole premise behind this series right down to the title. Prayers with you all the way!

5. Tuesday, April 3, 2012 10:53 am

Kaye, I have been there for awhile now. Thankfully I don’t have a contract to meet, but I have been letting myself down, which is as painful. I have been working on my blog, but it’s not the story. I fell in love with my story, then…meh. I feel ambivalence.
    I know that sooner or later I will reconnect, and I’m sorry you have to a time limit to reconnect with your story and characters. You CAN do this. It just is so frustrating right now. I am sending positive vibes your way!

6. Tuesday, April 3, 2012 11:50 am

You’ll get through it with flying colors, Kaye. This series sounds so intriguing – will look for it to hit store shelves. =)

7. Regina permalink
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 3:51 pm

Honestly, I can’t even remember last month’s update on my writing, and since I haven’t really done anything SINCE, no update from me. “meh” is right where I am, too.

But you – you CAN do this. Remember some of those stories that you’ve complained the most about having to RUSH? Well, they ended up being my favorites. So I’m REALLY looking forward to this series! 🙂

8. Rachel Wilder permalink
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 3:52 pm

Sounds like a good plan.

Things are going pretty well for me, though I’m still not writing every day. Probably won’t get much done this week since Papa’s on nights and I’m still responsible for 95% of the meals.

I was still struggling with some of my conflict, but I think I’ve found the rest of it and now it’s just a matter of laying it all out. I’m closing in 31,000.

9. Anne Payne permalink
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 4:42 pm

I will be praying for you during this time!

10. Tuesday, April 3, 2012 6:22 pm

My WIP is fighting me like no book before (except the one when I realized I was suffering from chemo fog, so it’s not THAT bad). But I do have a deadline now and part of my time is being given to polishing up a finished manuscript before that June date arrives. That might be why I’m not connecting with the new story as well as I have with those before it. I’m having to learn to juggle projects now.

I’m praying for you with this one, Kaye. Good idea to take a blogging break.

11. Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:09 pm

Oh, Kaye. Hugs!

But your plan sounds right on. I completely bombed as far as getting any writing done in March, for some of the same reasons and for some personal stuff that unexpectedly reared its ugly head.

But determined to not let my past dictate my present or future, I did exactly what you said yesterday. I plunged into a key scene that I know that I want. I’m really lost in my wip and at some point, I’ll go back to fill in. But I’m writing forward from this point and see where it takes me.

So I say, go for it!