Fun Friday–Let’s Talk Movies

Friday, February 24, 2012

Last week, dear friend Ruth and I went to see This Means War, the romantic-comedy-spy-action-adventure movie starring Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine (the new Captain Kirk), and Tom Hardy (Heathcliff in the most recent version of Wuthering Heights), which is one of the funniest movies I’ve seen in a very, very long time:

So I thought it would be fun to look ahead to some movies coming out in March which I really want to see.

John Carter (March 9)

Wrath of the Titans (March 30)

Mirror, Mirror (March 30)

What upcoming movies are you looking forward to?

1. Friday, February 24, 2012 9:07 am

I want to see Mirror, Mirror, Wrath of the Titans, and John Carter as well as Salmon Fishing in the Yemen and The Hunger Games (and that’s just MARCH!). Also, if David Tennant’s The Decoy Bride actually somehow makes it into wide release I will go see it on the big screen — it is super cute and funny!

• Friday, February 24, 2012 12:28 pm

I think “The Decoy Bride” is set to release sometime this spring, Ruth. =)

• misty permalink
        Friday, February 24, 2012 12:45 pm

Oh what’s this?! The Decoy Bride, I’ll have to look that one up.

2. Keith R. permalink
    Friday, February 24, 2012 9:17 am

Well, I am looking forward to The Avengers movie and The Hobbit. Looking ahead at all the movies in the next few months I am surprised how many remakes and continuing episodes they are putting out. It is comical and depressing at the same time.

• Friday, February 24, 2012 4:30 pm

Yep, definitely want to see both of those.

I’m not a huge fan of remakes, though there are a few notable successes, such as 2009’s Star Trek (though that was touted as a reboot, not a remake) and 2010’s A-Team and Clash of the Titans (the latter of which was SO much better than the original!!!).

3. Friday, February 24, 2012 10:18 am

Brave, Best Exotic Marigold Hotel in theaters, may wait for DVD for The Avengers and Dark Shadows.
    I had such high hopes for Dark Shadows as a true devotee in my youth, but I’m not getting a good feeling from the photo scoops. Barnabus Collins was a bit odd but …

I’ll have to look at the trailer for The Avengers. I was definitely hooked on that show.. watched it in a room without heat on cold Friday nights, on that tiny black and white TV. English spy shows were quite a hit in the 60s. Between those shows, and my love for Black Beauty and The Secret Garden, I can trace my anglophilia quite nicely. oh. duh. the Beatles? I guess there really was a British Invasion. We all dressed like the London girls, too!

• Friday, February 24, 2012 4:31 pm

Probably won’t see Dark Shadows. There are so many movies coming out later this year that I want to see, I had to make myself stick with just these few in March!

4. Sarah Richmond permalink
    Friday, February 24, 2012 11:38 am

Me and my family like old movies.

• Friday, February 24, 2012 4:32 pm

I like some, but not all. The movies with Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant are my favorites.

5. Friday, February 24, 2012 12:13 pm

The Hunger Games… maybe. It depends on how graphic it is. Snow White and the Huntsman. The Hobbit. Those are the only one’s I’m likely to see in theater this year. I generally depend on you and Ruth to keep me informed about what’s upcoming. 🙂

• Friday, February 24, 2012 12:35 pm

Well I haven’t seen Thor and heavens to betsy I’m too old to go see a movie just because of some beefcake (Ahem) but I’m definitely looking forward to that one. I just don’t seem to enjoy big intense graphics and action in the theater anymore. I like swords and blood on my little tv screen!
      Lori, I agree 100%. They are my link to the movies and TV, but I’m so far behind Kaye and Ruth… I still haven’t seen Fassy in his purple turtleneck.

When is The Hobbit due? is that October or closer to Christmas?

• Friday, February 24, 2012 12:40 pm

“Thor” is a lot of fun, Debra. =)

• Friday, February 24, 2012 12:49 pm

Well, Chris Helmsworth was just voted as the choice for the role of Jamie Fraser if Diana Gabaldon’s outlander series ever becomes a movie or mini series. So I will need to catch up.
          I think it’s available on DVD now, right?

• Friday, February 24, 2012 4:04 pm

Thor was good, and I’m no super hero fan. I think The Hobbit will be out in December, but don’t quote me on that. 🙂 As for Chris H. as Jamie? Not. Even. Close.

• Monday, February 27, 2012 3:41 pm

Debra – yes, “Thor” is available on dvd now. =) So fun.

• Friday, February 24, 2012 4:34 pm

You should definitely rent Thor. Aside from the fact that I picked Chris Hemsworth as the template for the hero in the second book of this new historical series I’m writing before anyone else knew who he was (after his very brief appearance in 2009’s Star Trek as Captain Kirk’s ill-fated father, George Kirk), and despite Natalie Portman’s presence in the film, it’s very, very good!

• Friday, February 24, 2012 4:33 pm

My ability to see movies when they’re out in the theaters is directly related to my income, so as much as I say I want to go see these movies when they first come out, it all depends on the finances.

• Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:53 am

For me it’s a time thing. I like to go to a matinee by myself, but that eats into writing time and though I’ve planned to see so many movies… in the end my inner disciplinarian takes over and I put in those hours writing instead. It’s rare I get the upper hand on that chick. She’s got mad Ninja moves.

6. Friday, February 24, 2012 12:39 pm

Cannot wait to see “Mirror Mirror.” That will be memorable on the big-screen. “Clash of the Titans” was okay, but not one of my faves, so I’ll just rent the sequel. Oh! And, “This Means War” looks hilarious! So glad you and Ruth enjoyed it. =D

(Really want to see “The Vow,” too.)

• Friday, February 24, 2012 4:36 pm

I’m actually more looking forward to Snow White and the Huntsman (and not just because of the afore mentioned Chris Hemsworth)—mainly because I’m not really a Julia Roberts fan. She can be so one-note (and that note being too far over the top) that it gets annoying.

• Monday, February 27, 2012 3:45 pm

My friend and I have gone back and forth about which “Snow White” version will be better – she is going with “The Huntsman.” To me, “Mirror Mirror” just looks more like a fairy-tale should, cliched or not. However I am not thrilled with “The Huntsman” because of K. Stewart (don’t like her for some reason). I do think Charlize and Chris are going to rock in their roles though, so that is something. Julia isn’t necessarily my most fave actress but she’s done some good things. =)

7. misty permalink
    Friday, February 24, 2012 1:01 pm

IOh I want to see This Means War, just haven’t found the time yet. Really looking forward to The Hobbit. And after reading The Hunger Games I want to see that, I’m not sure about the casting, but I still want to check it out. Others on our must see list Snow White and the Huntsmen, Salmon Fishing in Yemen (although I won’t see this at the theater because my husband isn’t interested), The Lucky One, Men in Black 3…… there are several more. Most recently we the The Grey, YUCK, we didn’t like it at all.

• Friday, February 24, 2012 4:38 pm

When friend Liz and I went to see Immortals the night that the most recent Twilight movie opened, they played an ad for The Grey. At the very end of the trailer, when the wolf was closing in on Liam Neeson, the guy in the row behind us quipped, “Bad, Jacob!” And, naturally, everyone in the theater busted out laughing. So I haven’t been able to take that movie seriously since!

8. misty permalink
    Friday, February 24, 2012 2:36 pm

Debra you mentioned The Outlander series and I just finished the first book for the second time, but haven’t read the rest. Are the rest of the books as good as the first one? I love Jamie and Claire!!

• Friday, February 24, 2012 4:40 pm

I have tried multiple times to read that book, but just haven’t been able to get into it. Aside from the fact that the first hundred or so pages are absolutely boring to me, I have a major moral/ethical problem with the idea that she’s married in the present time but then goes back in time to have this “epic” romance with someone else. I just can’t bring myself to enjoy romance stories featuring extra-marital affairs.

• Friday, February 24, 2012 7:44 pm

Misty -Well, there’s debate about whether or not all the books are as good. WIth such length, there was some disappointment with a couple of the later ones. I think the first three were great. I read them all because I’m just amazed at all the storylines and characters and how she can keep them all together, and how someday, she’ll tie up the whole Jamie Claire story to reflect the very beginning scene from Outlander.

Kaye, I never really thought of this as extra-marital. Not perfect yet she went back two centuries, never to see her husband again, and then married in that century first for protection which became love. Like any character who marries when convinced their spouse is dead — I’m sure it can be argued both ways. That said, I rarely recommend the series for it’s sensuality and intensity, but if someone has read it, I’m happy to discuss it. Jamie Fraser (After twenty years) is still my on-going favorite fictional hero ever!

• Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:57 am

I’m Team Roger. 🙂 And sometimes Team Ian (the younger).

• Saturday, February 25, 2012 9:59 am

PS: Debra, do you ever hang out at the Books & Writers Community? Diana has her own folder there. I hang out mostly in the Research & Craft section. Lots of folders and interesting writerly discussions with folks from all over the map.