Fun Friday—My Virtual Summer Vacation: The *Other* Music City

Friday, June 3, 2011

I hope you’ve had as much fun as I have the last two weeks learning a little more about both Romania and Ukraine, the first two stops on my virtual summer vacation. Now, most of you know that I live in Music City USA: Nashville, Tennessee. So I thought the third stop on my virtual summer vacation would be the other music city:

Salzburg, Austria
For my foreign language in high school and college, I took German. I’d already been exposed to the language a little bit through my parents—who both took it in college, as well as living there briefly after they finished graduate school—and I found it relatively easy to learn. Could be because I have quite a bit of German heritage—from ancestors with names like Caylor (an Americanization of Koehler) and Frieze. Could be because it’s so close to English. But either way, my high school German teacher believed in total culture immersion, which included a lot of studying about the German-speaking countries (and I’ll age myself here by admitting that there were two countries named Germany—East and West—when I was in high school). And for the oral report I had to give my senior year, I chose to do it on the city of Salzburg—specifically the city’s history with music.

City of Mozart
Salzburg is most famous for being the hometown of one of the most famous classical composers, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. So no trip to Music City Austria would be complete without visiting the Mozart sites, beginning with the Mozart Geburtshaus (Birthplace):

(It’s the yellow one)

Next is the Mozart Wohnhaus (Residence), the home where Mozart lived from 1773 to 1777 while he was the court musician to Prince-Archbishop Hieronymus Colloredo.

And I’ll have to visit Mozartplatz Square near Old Town Salzburg—and maybe have coffee at one of the nearby cafes.

The Sound of Music
It’s no secret, The Sound of Music is one of my favorite musicals. So of course, my visit to Salzburg wouldn’t be complete without seeing some of the sites used in the movie.

Mirabell Gardens (fountain and trellis-covered pathway featured in the song “Do-Re-Mi”)

Schloss Leopoldskron (used as the back of the von Trapp home—where the boat carrying Maria and the children overturned in the water)

Schloss Hellbrunn (current location of the gazebo—shipped over from Hollywood to Salzburg)

Frohnburg Castle (front facade, courtyard, and gates used at the end of “I Have Confidence” when Maria arrives at Villa von Trapp)

Nonnberg Abbey (The actual abbey where the real Maria von Trapp was a novice, as well as where the abbey scenes in the movie were filmed)

Mondsee Cathedral (where the movie wedding between Maria and the Captain was filmed)

Felsenreitschule (the amphitheatre where the Trapp Family Singers gave their concert in the film)

St. Peter’s Cemetery (Where the fight scene during the von Trapps’ flight from Salzburg was filmed)

The Rest of Salzburg
Of course Mozart and The Sound of Music sites aren’t all there are to see in Salzburg. There are also a bunch of castles and fortresses (click the image to see a slideshow in a new tab/window):

And then there’s the city of Salzburg, as well as surrounding mountains and villages (like Wolfgangsee) to spend time exploring (again, click the image to open the slideshow in a new tab/window):

Where are you heading on your virtual vacation this week?

1. Friday, June 3, 2011 2:48 am

Love this weeks tour. My friend went there and she had pictures in the trees the kids climbed in the Sound of Music. I say had I found out she passed away 18 months ago. I loved her photos and its a place I would love to visit along with Switzerland.

Oh My trip as I think I am finally over my food poisoning I am going to Canada I am going to Vancouver, Whistler area, the sunshine coast (home of the beach combers) to enjoy some warmer weather I hope. its winter here now and around the 14 degree which is about 58 degrees in the day dropping to 32 overnight. I dont like humidity or the cold.

2. Kav permalink
    Friday, June 3, 2011 6:41 am

Sigh — gorgeous pictures. I wonder if the people who live there appreciate the beauty that surrounds them? Or are they just so used to it they don’t see it any more? Well, since I can’t afford anything but a virtual weekend I am going to all out — heading for Ireland! Think I’ll stay in one of those fancy castle hotels or maybe I’ll crew a houseboat down the Liffey. Or I could go to a writer’s retreat. They have a few over the summer in historic places with breathtaking scenery. Yep, that’s what I’ll do. πŸ™‚

3. Friday, June 3, 2011 9:39 am

Salzberg’s good–think I’ll go there! I’m a Sound of Music nut. Corny, I know, but I just can’t imagine going to that part of Europe without taking the bus tour. My husband said I can take it alone while he roams the city on foot like a dignified person πŸ™‚

4. Friday, June 3, 2011 10:08 am

Ooh! This was a fun post for me. My hubby and I lived in Germany for four years when he taught at an American high school for the children of U.S. Army personnel stationed there. Each summer we traveled around Europe.

We visited Salzburg twice when we lived there, once in summer and once in winter. I’ve seen many of the sites above. We tennis-shoe ice skated on the frozen lake in front of Schloss Leopoldskron. On a visit years later, my daughter and I belted out Sound Of Music numbers at many of the locations. (Just a note. That gazebo, which was moved to a park, is tiny. They did a lot of camera magic to make it look big in the movie.) And I stared in awe at the birthplace and home of Mozart. I hope you can visit Salzburg for real one day, Kaye. It’s an amazing city.

We lived in Germany when the Fall came down and the country was reunified. Talk about seeing history in the making. Wunderbar!

5. Friday, June 3, 2011 10:13 am

What a perfect vacation, Kaye! I’m such a huge fan of “The Sound of Music,” as is my whole family. But where am I going on my virtual vacation? Hmmmm. I’m thinking Hawaii. I’m dying to see the ocean, and if it’s virtual, I don’t have to worry about getting an ocean view close enough for affordability! Maybe Figi? Australia?

• Friday, June 3, 2011 5:59 pm

Regina, Australia is good if you go to North Queensland its also sunny and wonderful weather right now same with north Western Australia and the Northern Territory although parts are cold at night.
      The lower half is now in winter but our winters are not as cold many parts of america with days around the 55 – 60ish depending where you are some are even a bit warmer (its still cold to us)

6. Friday, June 3, 2011 10:19 am

LOVE THIS! FINALLY WENT ON MY DREAM TRIP to AUSTRIA last summer and spend some glorious time in Salzburg—seeing the sites you mentioned

I was amazed at how amazing the italian food was there— so when you get there some day ( for real) you have to try it—also the amazing ice cream!

I blogged and threw in a couple of photos last summer: http://a-fair-substitute-for-heaven.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-went-to-austria-post-with-some.html#links

one is of me outside the Rolf and Leisl Gazebo ( from the Sound of Music Movie)

I heard some amazing mozart and was there during the Salzburg Festival! Felt just like the film

AUSTRIA was a dream! make sure you see Vienna, too ( that was where my trip started— inspired by Bodie Thoene’s Vienna Prelude) and it is only a 2 hr train ride from Salzburg!

HURRAH

there were so many old abbeys there and hundreds of steps scaled to get to each one! I loved it! and I immediately burned off all of the italian food I ate.
    tee hee. and the ice cream!!

AWESOME

7. Friday, June 3, 2011 11:17 am

Lovely pictures! Now I want to watch The Sound of Music and re-read Vienna Prelude. πŸ™‚

8. Friday, June 3, 2011 11:59 am

Great photos. Austria is tempting, but a perfect vacation for me is always at the beach πŸ™‚

9. Friday, June 3, 2011 12:54 pm

I think I’ll join in Salzburg this week.

10. Friday, June 3, 2011 1:06 pm

I may have to do a post next week just on the cafes, restaurants, and biergartens I want to visit in Salzburg. And there might be some ice cream in there too, Rachel.

11. Friday, June 3, 2011 2:20 pm

ice cream! hurrah! this is such a great post!

My summer vacation will be in your hood, Kaye. I am excited to try Po’ Boy sandwiches for the first time!

• Friday, June 3, 2011 3:39 pm

The po-boy is original to New Orleans, my neck of the woods. Not Nashville. πŸ˜€

My favorite po-boy of all time is the shrimp one at Popeye’s.

• Friday, June 3, 2011 4:01 pm

That’s what she meant, Rachel—my original ‘hood. And we’re going to miss each other by a week, since I’ll be in Baton Rouge for my step-nephew’s wedding on July 22.

12. Cathy Shouse permalink
    Friday, June 3, 2011 9:56 pm

Kaye,

This was a trip down memory lane for me. In college I studied in England and we took a tour of Europe. I went to Salzburg to all these places. I was studying music at the time. I have a small bust of Mozart and I requested it and they put a tiny gold sticker on it that said “Salzburg.” πŸ™‚

• Saturday, June 4, 2011 12:27 am

i would love to go to Madrid and Barcelona. Those are my next places to dream about it.

And brace yourselves, Americans, this Canadian gal has always had a burning desire to go to Monticello! !

13. Friday, June 10, 2011 11:29 am

Salzburg has got to be one of the most beautiful European cities. I’d love to visit Austria some day, and yes, The Sound of Music is a big reason.

Believe it or not, that climactic scene in the cemetery was not filmed at St. Peter’s. It was a soundstage set, but it must have been designed with St. Peter’s in mind.

Trackbacks