Thursday Thought Provoker

Thursday, May 19, 2011

1. Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:06 am

My favorite is a course I took the first semester when I went back to finish my undergraduate degree, and reputedly one of the hardest courses offered at Trevecca: History of the English Language. The professor (actually the Dean of Academic Affairs who still taught this one course) told me at the end of the semester that I was the first person to ever make an A+ in all her years of teaching it. How could I not? It incorporated two of my very most favorite things: history and English. It was because of that class that I truly began falling in love with British history and all things British.

2. Daphne Webb permalink
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:14 am

Mine was Sociology 101. A hard course, despite its numerical tag, and taught by a very tough professor. I, too, made an A+. Reason: I love reading what makes people and society tick. What makes that “hamster in the wheel” continue in its endless trek. The class delved into not only group hysteria, but also geographical/demo-graphical make-up. Amazing what you discover. Took the next semester course, too.
    Second favorite? Creative writing.

• Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:28 am

I took Sociology 1001 the same semester I took Psych 1001—and I had the classes back to back. Talk about seeing something from both the micro and macro levels!

3. Lady DragonKeeper permalink
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:30 am

So far, it’s been pretty much any Art course … they’ve all been studio courses though –no lecture courses (e.g. like art history) but I’m probably biased because I’m planning to major in Fine Arts. I enjoy being able to use “the one talent God gave me” and I love making things.

4. Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:42 am

Im not sure but think an online course to learn how to design different webpage graphics. it was a fun course after learning to make the webpages.

5. Thursday, May 19, 2011 5:36 am

When I was in grad school, I took a class on Slavery in the Atlantic World 1500-1800. Given the topic, it was rough. There was at least one book that was so tough to read, due to the subject matter, that I had to put it down and walk away several times. But it was also incredibly interesting.

6. Sheila permalink
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 6:34 am

Loved all my creative writing classes, and I enjoyed my history classes MUCH more than my literature classes. I wish I had minored in History instead of English. The college where I got my B.F.A. had split the English department into an English department and Writing department and the two groups did not get along. It was quite difficult when you needed them to work together. 😦 Oh, I’d forgotten–I also enjoyed my art classes. The conversations in class were quite . . . might I say different.

7. Audry permalink
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 8:19 am

The semester I spent in Rome we had a history class that consisted mainly of 1-2 hour lectures on Tuesdays and 3-4 hour walks/ bike rides/ field trips around Rome and surrounding areas on Thursdays, seeing all the ancient architecture first hand. The professor was horrible, but I absolutely loved it – best college class ever.

8. Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:18 am

Okay, I’m the weird one here. But I would have to Anatomy and Physiology in College. Loved that course so much that I took A&P 2 as an elective the following year. Still have my textbooks from that course as well. The human body is absolutely fascinating to me.

9. Thursday, May 19, 2011 10:34 am

My class on Renaissance Florence. We studied architecture, art (especially Giotto and Botticelli), literature (Dante–ran out of time for Machievelli), and I did my final paper on music. It was my first small class where the professor really engaged with us as people and we were even invited to his house one Saturday afternoon. Hard class too–we studied in large groups for our midterm and final and our unofficial moto for these groups was “Abandon hope all ye who enter here.”

Still working on a trip to Florence…

10. Thursday, May 19, 2011 10:56 am

Favorite course? Just one? Hmmm. I guess it would be between 3, actually. Children’s Literature, Music Theory, or Geology 101.

• Thursday, May 19, 2011 3:02 pm

As you can see, I would be a professional student, if I could! 😀

11. Kav permalink
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 12:17 pm

Wow — what an eclectic and interesting group you have here, Kaye. I’d have to say Children’s Literature was my favourite course. We got to tell stories, make puppets, read the most amazing picture books, critique fiction for older children and chatter not stop about books. What could be better than that????? Hmmm….mayebe a Romance Fiction Literature course. Do they have such a thing, I wonder?

12. Thursday, May 19, 2011 1:52 pm

After I had graduated, taught school and had a couple of children, I decided to take a sign language class at our local community college. It turned out to be one of my all time favorite classes. Fun and fascinating. The teacher required that we spend a certain number of hours with the deaf community who happened to meet once a week at a pizza place. They were extremely accepting of our clumsy attempts to communicate and very encouraging. Thirty years later, I was fortunate to hire a young girl at my tea room who happened to be deaf. Although I had not kept up it with it over the years, with a little help from her, she and I carried on conversations, only resorting to pen and paper when my repertoire was exhausted.

13. Charmaine Gossett permalink
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 9:29 pm

I took art classes at Watkins Institute when it was on Church Street. I began with Life Drawing for two years, then oil painting two years. I loved the work and the people. I also liked the Summer landscape painting classes at Mr. Stinemetz’s farm. My mother took the classes when I did and that was a double joy.

14. Thursday, May 19, 2011 10:41 pm

Probably when I had Advanced Independent Study in Physics in high school. I was able to work with lasers for the entire semester.

15. Friday, May 20, 2011 4:59 pm

I’m a day late, but… I’d have to say the Victorian Poetry class I took in undergrad. We had the most amazing professor who headed the English department. He got so excited about the Victorian poets, and his enthusiasm made that class. We had to write four 20-page papers and one 30-page paper, but it was so worth it. To this day, I very fondly remember that class and the poets we studied in it.