I should be writing a blog post . . .

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

. . . and given that it’s Tuesday, it should be something to do with the craft and/or industry of writing fiction.

But my brain is still feeling slightly fried from having written 76,000 words in twelve days to get TFP finished.

So, instead, I’m going to get a quick (as in thirty-minute) editing project done then start reading all the background materials for the new fiction series I’ll be editing starting next month.

I also should have gone to the gym this morning, seeing as how it’s been almost a month since the last time I was there and I promised myself I was not only going to go at least four days a week, I was going to do it in the mornings before I got caught up doing other stuff.

Instead, I promise that I will at least take a walk around the block sometime today.

What are some shoulds and insteads you’re dealing with today/this week?

Update, 1:20 p.m.
I did finish the little editing project and got that sent off posthaste after writing the post above. But then . . . I started on another instead and thought I’d share the beginning part of that with you:

Update 5:00 p.m.
After a nice long chat with my publicist for the Ransome series, I got back to work on getting my books reorganized and put back on the shelves. So here’s the “after” of my book organizing project!

1. Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:40 am

1. I should write.
    2. I should finish putting things away in the newly-renovated library kitchen (it’s in a pile in my office).
    3. I should actually commit to exercise.

Instead of writing, I spend my time reading blogs, FB, and email;Instead of finishing the kitchen task, I whittle away at the pile of kitchen stuff until eventually it will be put away; and I sit in front of the television or computer instead of exercising.

I could probably come up with more, but I won’t!

2. Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:51 am

I should be getting ready to speak at a lady’s breakfast this weekend, but it was postponed. And I am so relieved since I’m a bit overbooked on my to do list this week. I do look forward to doing it later. I also need to get my rear in gear and finish my new proposal.

3. Audry permalink
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:52 am

I should be working, but I took a break to read your blog.

I should have studied ANSI 117.1 (Accessibility code) last night for my exam tomorrow, but I fell asleep on the couch instead.

I should make a menu for the month (or even week) and shopping lists based on it, so that I don’t have to stop at the store on the way home from work to pick something up for dinner practically every night, but I keep putting that off. sigh.

4. Tuesday, May 17, 2011 10:52 am

I also should be NOT thinking about Castle last night and cannot wait until tomorrow to come here and talk about it!

Have a great and productive day!

• Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:00 am

Since I haven’t watched an episode of Castle since before Christmas, I’ll just have to put my blinders on and not pay attention to any of the spoilers y’all might post.

That being said, the season finale of Hawaii Five-0 last night was awesome!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

• Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:00 am

But we’ll get in to all of that tomorrow. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Anita Smith permalink
        Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:23 pm

If you’ve refrained from Castle that long, my hat is off to you! I won’t ruin last night’s show. Suffice it to say, I wish next week was premiere week for the fall shows! And I ordered Castle Season 2 off Amazon!

5. Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:43 am

I should be editing/rewriting 20 pages a day, but I can only seem to do 5.

I should be playing with my kids.

76,000 words?!?!?

6. Jenni permalink
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 12:54 pm

I, too, should be editing. It’s been 2 months since I started this project and almost a week and a half since I did anything productive on it. I’m stuck and it stinks.

Congrats on all the words and finishing TFP!

Off to procrastinate more (or maybe I’ll do that later).

7. Daphne Webb permalink
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:02 pm

I should be mowing the yard, instead I am on the internet.
    I should be writing my next two scenes and hopefully the beginning of the next chapter, instead I am watching for the mailman to deliver another book to read.
    I should be washing the laundry, instead I am playing with the kittens.
    I should…

8. Tuesday, May 17, 2011 1:28 pm

For those of you who are following along with the comments, I just updated this post to include a video of what I’m doing *instead* of the reading I’d planned on doing today.

9. Kav permalink
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:27 pm

Do we get to see the finished bookshelves? I have to do that as well. My bookshelf is so full it’s spilled over into piles ont he floor, on the chairs, on the table, on the TV. I need another bookshelf. And need another couple of bookshelves!!!!! And then a few more.

• Tuesday, May 17, 2011 2:35 pm

I’m halfway there. But I’m trying to decide if I want to put my historical romance on the shelf alphabetically by author or chronologically by the year in which it’s set. I’m leaning toward alpha . . . but I really don’t have much else to do today . . .

• Tuesday, May 17, 2011 4:58 pm

Just updated the post with the “after” video.

• Sylvia M. permalink
        Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:11 pm

The shelves look very nice. You have alot of the same books I have. I just got a new bookcase and was sooo happy to finally get my books out from behind the other books. There were also some in a big bag. I actually have some empty shelf space on my new bookcase, but that’s just fine. It’s a good problem to have and easily solved. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Daphne Webb permalink
        Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:39 pm

Maybe I should pay you to come reorganize my two shelves. :o)

10. Anita Smith permalink
    Tuesday, May 17, 2011 3:21 pm

I should have walked all last week, but with the school year winding down, I was too busy with “stuff to do”. I should have gone walking yesterday, but we’ve had nothing but intermittent rain! The sun came out for a while this morning, so I got out there, and was rewarded by the sight of several fluffy, baby geese, otherwise known as goslings. They were so cute! Would/should/could…your day gets filled, and it is ALL good!

11. Tuesday, May 17, 2011 6:37 pm

76,000 words in 12 days?!!! Hat’s off to you. Why worry about the “should”s when that biggest should is done?

12. Tuesday, May 17, 2011 7:02 pm

Your books are so organized. I would do something like that…I like the end result…but it looks like a lot of work. ๐Ÿ˜›

• Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:12 pm

It all helps that they were alphabetized to begin with—so they were pretty much in alpha order once I put them in genre stacks. Then it was just a matter of putting everything back on the shelves. I managed to do it in just a few hours. Now . . . if I were working full time, this would have been a weekend-long project!

• Tuesday, May 17, 2011 8:23 pm

Mine are SO far from alphabetized it’s not even funny. But…oddly enough…I do generally know where everything is. LOL!

13. Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:17 pm

So happy for you, Kaye. The word count is amazing! And gives me hope when I’m in a tight spot. As for what I should be doing, I’m in that wretched place of finishing a novel and missing the story/characters and so NOT wanting to edit. Plus I am so burned out on social networking. How’s that for letting my hair down;) Grrr. Love the orderliness and look of your office and shelves. Can’t help but notice a couple of titles;) Thanks for that.

• Tuesday, May 17, 2011 11:29 pm

If I could tag that video on FB, there would be quite a few familiar names . . . can’t wait to add another book to that shelf in August!