Fun Friday: Five Random DVDs

Friday, January 8, 2010

fun-friday.jpg

It’s no secret that I have a great love of movies. I also have quite a few. Probably not as many as some people (looking at you, Ruth and Caleb), but only because I’ve had a Netflix subscription since 2004, which has definitely cut down on the number of movies I’ll buy when I know I can easily get them from Netflix in a day or two and watch it first to see if I really want to buy it or not.

So today, I thought I’d do something that everyone can play along with, if you’d like (so that you can earn another entry toward the Make A Case for Love contest!).

Here’s the rules to play along: Go to where you keep the majority of your DVDs, close your eyes, and pull five at random, then come back and tell us what they are and something about them (why you bought it, why/if you like it, or something). If you’d like to do this as a post on your blog, come back and post the link in your comment.

Since I keep my DVDs in alphabetical order, I’ll post them in that order.

Random DVD #1: Bill Cosby, Himself
When I was growing up, we had a bunch of Bill Cosby’s live concert albums (on LP, of course). So when we got our first VCR in the early 1980s, Bill Cosby, Himself was one of the first videos we got (I believe my uncle Jon had actually recorded it off HBO for us—we didn’t have cable). For years after I got a DVD player, I thought about trying to find it, but we’d watched it so often when I was young, I could practically quote the thing. But then I worked with a wonderful young woman named Corie Martin who, whenever I would help her out with something, adapted one of the jokes from Himself and would sing, “Kaye is great . . . give us the chocolate cake.” So I had to go out and find it, and I think I picked it up for about $5 at Target.

Random DVD #2: Ever After
Believe it or not, this one is still in the plastic shrink-wrap from the store. It’s not that I don’t love this movie—thus the reason I bought it—but it’s on TV often enough that I don’t have to pull out the DVD to watch it. I really enjoy this re-telling of the Cinderella story—especially the humor that’s added to it. Drew Barrymore has never been one of my favorite actresses—in fact, I can’t usually stand to watch her, because she has this weird way she moves her mouth that starts to get on my nerves pretty quickly. But even with all of the horrible fake British accents aside, this is definitely a movie worth having in a DVD library.

Random DVD #3: The Man in the Iron Mask
This is probably the only Leonardo DiCaprio movie I’ve ever seen that I’ve really enjoyed—but that has more to do with the actual leading men who star in this movie: Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, Gerard Depardieu, and Gabriel Byrne. Written and produced by Randall Wallace, who also wrote and co-produced Braveheart, this movie gives us the Three Musketeers (and D’Artagnan) in their less-than-golden years. I never got around to seeing this when it was out in theaters, but I bought it not long after I got a DVD player because I enjoyed it so much as a rental.

Random DVD #4: The Princess Bride
I love this movie. I’ve loved it ever since I saw it at the cinema when it first came out in 1987 (and yes, I was old enough to drive myself to the theater when it came out—I’m that old!). This film has an ageless quality about it. While other movies from the same era come across as obviously “dated” (i.e., you know they were made in the ’80s) this movie hasn’t seemed to age at all. And, along with Steel Magnolias, it’s one of the most quotable movies ever.

Random DVD #5: “Unafied” In Concert
I know, you’re scratching your head thinking, huh? I almost put this one back when I opened my eyes and saw I’d pulled it, but for this to be an honest game, I had to go with what I actually pulled. Unafied is the Southern Gospel Quartet I sang with for a couple of years. The name, Unafied, came from the name of the church we all attended: Una Baptist Church right here in Nashville. This concert was performed on June 22, 2002 at our church. Here we are, singing the Gaither Vocal Band song “Hide Thou Me” (you’ll have to crank up the sound to actually hear it):

1. Friday, January 8, 2010 6:32 am

I know, I know, I have a DVD problem!!!

This’ll be fun – will post a comment with my list when I get home from work.

2. Friday, January 8, 2010 7:04 am

Okay, I’m kind of cheating a little. My personal DVDs are kept in my bedroom under my TV where I can watch my chick flicks in peace and hubby is sleeping, so I’m going to list the first five that come to mind….

How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days–Bought it because I love Matthew Mcconaughey & Kate Hudson together, love the Keith Urban song during the motorcycle scene, and I’m a sucker for happily ever after.

Under the Tuscan Sun–I loved this movie because of the setting. Plus Frances was a writer who took a chance while trying to restart her life. Loved so much of this movie.

Twilight–NO, I’m not a Twilight Mom or fanatic, but I watched this movie with my Coffee Girls to celebrate my 40th birthday. It holds sentimental value.

Alias Seasons 1-6–Stellar cast, strong characters, captivating story line until it got weird.

The Prince and Me–Another happily ever after movie, plus I love Julia Stiles. And I love movies about royalty. Don’t most girls want to get in touch with their inner princesses?

Fun post, Kaye!

• Friday, January 8, 2010 12:47 pm

I watched Alias regularly . . . until the whole thing where she lost a year and Michael Vartan’s character married someone else . . . and they started working from offices under the subway line . . . until, as you said, it just got weird.

3. Friday, January 8, 2010 7:35 am

Five at random, eh? OK…let me go grab five….

1. Desperado. I love Robert Rodriguez films and Salma Hayek is hot.

2. This Is Spinal Tap. Best fake documentary ever.

3. Firefly Complete Series Disc 3. Nathan Fillion, Morena Baccarin, Alan Tudyk…do I need to go on?

4. Hot Fuzz. I’m a big fan of Simon Pegg and his British sense of humor. This wasn’t as good as Shaun of the Dead but it was still entertaining.

5. The Chronicles of Riddick. Not as good as Pitch Black but I love the character of Riddick.

• Friday, January 8, 2010 12:48 pm

LOVE Firefly (and Serenity). And yes, you could have gone on and mentioned ADAM BALDWIN!

And I probably need to go ahead and purchase the Chronicles of Riddick. I watch it—or at least parts of it—every time it’s on TNT. Love Colm Feore and Karl Urban in it.

4. Adrienne permalink
    Friday, January 8, 2010 9:28 am

Okay, I grabbed five:
    1. Seabiscuit. I loved this movie mainly because they came out winners but it’s been years since I’ve seen this so I don’t remember the full story.
    2. Runaway Bride. I’ve seen this like five times and I think it’s great.
    3. Pocahontas from way back when. I pretty much collect the Disney classics though.
    4. Tall Tale with Patrick Swayze which I think was creative.
    5. Red Skeleton Collector 5 Series. I like oldies.

I don’t really watch TV at all though. In fact I gave mine away just recently to my Aunt because she needed it more than me. I prefer to read books instead 🙂

• Friday, January 8, 2010 12:49 pm

So what are you doing with your DVDs if you don’t have a TV anymore? Watching them on the computer? Or just not watching them at all?

• Adrienne permalink
        Friday, January 8, 2010 4:28 pm

Not watching them at all. I’m saving them in case I ever do, I guess.

5. Friday, January 8, 2010 9:32 am

• Friday, January 8, 2010 12:50 pm

I figured I could reel you in with this one.

Five worked for me because, aside from my boxed sets and series, which I have elsewhere, I have five shelves of individual DVDs, so I just pulled one from each shelf.

• Saturday, January 9, 2010 7:49 am

If I’m a sucker for anything, it’s bragging about my awesome DVD collection. 😛

6. Jess permalink
    Friday, January 8, 2010 10:51 am

I can’t EXACTLY play this game, because my DVDs are all mixed in with my husband’s, and some of those I could never explain. So here are just the first five I thought of.

The Girl with the Pearl Earring–I think I bought this at a used bookstore with credit from selling them books, so it’s not my favorite movie ever. But I love the silence in that movie, and of course I love Colin Firth.

Juno–I asked for this for Christmas last year. I love how Juno talks like a real teenager (sort of) and yet she comes across as smart. Yet funny. Basically, I love the dialogue.

Breakfast Club–not actually a DVD; this is the only movie I’ve ever bought on Itunes. I bought it to celebrate getting an Ipod Touch (which I got free with my mac) In addition to the countless times I saw it on cable, I’ve watched this at least three times. I usually drag the Touch and the player into my bathroom when I’m cleaning it. This movie is a picture of what church should be about–intimacy and support.

Amelie–bought this blackmarket in Bangladesh seven years ago. I had no idea what the movie was about, except that it was up for an Oscar for best foreign film. Best $1.50 I ever spent.

State Fair–In the Rogers and Hammerstein box set, the only box set I own. Probably not the best purchase, since I don’t really like Carousel and have never even been interested in watching Oklahoma! or South Pacific. Probably because I didn’t watch them a zillion times as a child like I did State Fair, King and I, and, of course, The Sound of Music. For some reason I really loved State Fair as a kid, I guess because it was about teenagers. No, wait. It was definitely because of the “I Owe Ioway” song. I rewound that part of the VHS SO MANY TIMES.

• Friday, January 8, 2010 12:53 pm

I love State Fair. It’s one of my top five favorite musicals. I have a collector’s version DVD case that came with both the original (and better) 1945 version as well as the 1961 remake (which I have watched only once, just to see how they desecrated it). About ten or twelve years ago, the off-Broadway touring company came to Nashville, so I got to see it on stage, as well—and I enjoyed it SO MUCH MORE than the movie. I wish it would come back again.

7. Friday, January 8, 2010 12:24 pm

Love The Man in the Iron Mask. One of my oldest’s favorites, although in the early days, I had to make sure I was in the room to flip to TV or fast forward through the love scene.

My DVDs are in boxes. So, the first five that come to mind:

The Temptations — My husband’s favorite. We’ve seen this made-for-television movie enough that the entire family can quote lines from it.

Dreamgirls — Grew up with Eddie. Love this performance, second after his performance in Life.

Transformers — Another one we’ve seen a million times. Guilty secret habit because I’m a big fan of Shia LeBeouf.

The Lion King — In my opinion, best Disney movie ever, better even than Mulan.

Malcolm X — Think Denzel should have won Oscar for this performance, but hey, I’m not mad at the Academy.

Notice not one is a romance. I typically don’t buy romantic movies on DVD as I’m the only one who would watch them out of the five of us, and I can typically catch one on a cable channel somewhere.

• Friday, January 8, 2010 12:56 pm

I’m actually surprised I pulled two romances in my exercise, because I have so few of them on my shelves.

I love Dreamgirls—bought that one as soon as it came out on DVD. Watched Transformers once (got it from Netflix). It was okay, but even with as much as I love action movies, it didn’t capture me the way some others have.

Speaking of Denzel’s Oscars, I love Glory.

8. Friday, January 8, 2010 12:42 pm

Wow this was fun! Here are my DVDS!

I’m with you I loved Everafter even though the accents were kinda terrible and The Princess Bride…hilarious!

xoxo~ Renee

• Friday, January 8, 2010 12:57 pm

I just happened to look down at the DVD case for The Princess Bride and noticed on the back it says the movie is only 1:38 long—I don’t know how they packed all that wonderfulness into just over an hour and a half!

9. Amee permalink
    Friday, January 8, 2010 1:56 pm

1. Hanging Up. I bought this one in the $5 bin at Walmart. It has Meg Ryan and Lisa Kudrow so I figured I couldn’t lose. I haven’t seen it in a while but I remember liking it.

2. Gilmore Girls Season 1. I loove this show! I don’t watch past the 5th season because I think it just gets a bit weird, but the first 5 seasons are gold.

3. Legally Blonde 2 (Red, White, and Blonde). I bought this because I loved the first movie. Like most sequels it isn’t as good as the first but it’s still fun to watch.

4. Love’s Abiding Joy. The fourth in the Love Comes Softly series. I read the books when I was in high school. I was thrilled when they started making movies based on the books. I really enjoy them even though they stop following the books after the second movie. I kind of wonder how the movie’s would have turned out if they stuck to the books.

5. It’s a Wonderful Life. A Christmas classic. I first saw the movie in 9th grade and I loved it. I watch it every year for Christmas and occasionally at random.

• Friday, January 8, 2010 3:20 pm

I stopped watching the Love Comes Softly movies after the first one . . . because Comcast moved the Hallmark channel into the upper/premium digital package of channels. I have them all in my Netflix queue, but since I’m down to one-at-a-time, it’s going to take me a while to get around to them. But I LOVE Dale Midkiff—have since I first saw him more than fifteen years ago in the Time Traxx series.

• Friday, January 8, 2010 4:49 pm

Kaye – you are the first person I have ever known that also watched Time Trax. That show rocked!

• Amee permalink
        Friday, January 8, 2010 8:22 pm

Yeah, I could only watch them on my parents’ television for that same reason! I still wish they’d move the channel back.

10. Friday, January 8, 2010 2:47 pm

We mostly watch movies through Netflix also, so we mostly own boxed sets of TV shows or miniseries. Here’s a chunk from my shelves:

1. JAG seasons 1-9, with a few seasons missing because they’ve been loaned to friends. My favorite show of all time. One of the best things my husband has ever done for me is watch allllllllllllll the way through the show with me as the DVD sets have come out over the past few years. We are almost through with season 10. (No spoilers! I’ve actually never seen the end of the show!)

2. The Lord of the Rings Extended Edition DVDs. Just re-watched through those with a girlfriend – that’s like 12 hours of movie right there. The EEs are so much fuller and meaningful than the theater cuts.

3. A & E Pride & Prejudice. Colin Firth in a wet shirt. Have you seen Lost in Austen? You can instant stream it on Netflix. SO worth watching.

4. Firefly on BluRay, which my husband received for Christmas. It’s not on the shelf, because it’s by the media server for watching. We’re hosting a Firefly costume party Jan. 17 and we’re been re-watching for inspiration.

5. The 10th Kingdom. Best fairy tale miniseries ever. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0207275/

• Friday, January 8, 2010 3:26 pm

I watched JAG from the very first season—the season it was on NBC with Tracy Needham as Harm’s partner. Stopped watching a few years from the end—it had just gotten old and stale for me, though I might enjoy it now if I went back and watched it fresh.

LOTR Trilogy-EE = MORE KARL URBAN!!!!! (And the nod to the romance between Eowyn and Faramir.)

Yes, I’ve seen Lost in Austen. It stressed me out and I pretty much had to force myself to watch it all the way through. I absolutely HATED the way they corrupted the storyline and characters. As far as the A&E P&P . . . I love Jennifer Ehle’s version of Elizabeth. But David Rintoul will always be Mr. Darcy to me.

“Firefly costume party” . . . shiny!

I completely agree about the 10th Kingdom. I recommended it here on the blog a couple of years ago when I did a series about creating conflict in our stories. It’s one of the best examples I’ve ever seen of that—almost to a fault. And Scott Cohen as Wolf . . . yummy.

• Friday, January 8, 2010 4:49 pm

You haven’t seen the end of JAG – wow. You will enjoy it; trust me. Though it seems a little odd, I liked it a lot.

I missed some of the middle seasons due to not having any tv service for awhile there but I got to see the end. I caught up on them thanks to the USA network a couple of years ago.

11. Friday, January 8, 2010 6:28 pm

Fun!

Ok, here are mine–

Superman–because Iabsolutely love Christopher Reeve

Somewhere in Time–ditto above. And I love Jane Seymour. And I love the music. And I just love it.

The Princess Bride–the script is the BEST.

Lorna Doone–love, love love this movie.

Father of the Bride–the old Spencer Tracy version. He’s sooo awesome. And Liz Taylor was young, gorgeous, and hilarious!

12. Friday, January 8, 2010 8:10 pm

Five random DVDs from my entertainment center . . .

1. Sue Thomas: F.B.Eye season 1 (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this series)

2. Speed – OK, my husband LOVES this movie. Personally, I thought it was a little intense, AND the last few obstacles put the plotline over the top, IMHO.

3. The Lake House – haven’t watched it yet, borrowed from a friend and waiting for daughter #1 to watch with me. So far I’ve like anything I’ve ever watched with Sandra Bullock in it.

4. The Bourne Ultimatum – Absolutely love the “Bourne” movies. Action/Adventure are my favorites.

5. Star Trek: the Wrath of Kahn – I think it’s the best of the “Star Trek” movies with the old crew.

13. Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:15 am

Oh I finally posted mine. You’ve got so many fun ideas to keep us hopping Kaye!

14. Audrey permalink
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:49 pm

Ok my DVD’s are in different places in my room, depending on where I can find the space to stash them. lol. So I took one from each area.

Beauty and the Beast – Favorite movie of all time!!!! I think this was the movie that made me want to read more, because Belle, who was and still is my favorite Disney character, was a bookworm. And I was in 2nd grade when this came out.

Ever After – In my top 5. I can quote this movie so fast. I never watch it on tv unless I am super bored because they cut out the good stuff. I’m just in love with it.

Bring It On: In It To Win It – The best of the ‘Bring It On’ movie series and the only one worth watching anymore.

Lucky Seven – McDreamy. Need I say more??? Such a great movie about how you can’t plan your life to a T, because something unexpected always happens.

Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman Season 1 – Still love this show, try to watch it on tv when I can. But the best thing was that when I got to meet Jane Seymour at an appearance at a Kay Jewelers recently (she is one of the nicest people I have ever met), she signed this for me.

15. Monday, January 18, 2010 9:41 pm

Most of my DVD’s are on lower shelves and I am currently physically unable to dig through them on my own, so I’ll just talk about the first five that come to mind.

1. Anne of Green Gables & Anne of Avonlea series (with Megan Follows) — one of the few movies I ever saw that I liked better than the book. At one time my daughter and I could quote these. We loved them at first, but my daughter started begging me not to play them after being asked by her friends to bring them to every slumber party for about three years.

2. Castaway (with Tom Hanks) — I just love the story of a man seeing life through a different perspective after getting away from the hustle and bustle of a materialistic world for a time. Inspiring!

3. My Big Fat Greek Wedding (with Nia Vardalos) — I love the fact that she wrote about what she knows: greek families. She is funny, smart, and inspiring. We’ve all faced rejection at one time or another and been told that we cannot do something, but she didn’t let that stop her from pursuing her dreams. I also enjoyed her recent movie My Life in Ruins. The plot could use some improvements, but it was a good story.

4. Father of the Bride (with Steve Martin and Kimberly Paisley) — Heartwarming. Endearing. True to life in many ways (What true DAD thinks any man is good enough for his little girl? How many of them don’t investigate–if given the chance–the replacement?

5. Diary of a Mad Black Woman (with Tyler Perry) — can’t stop laughing! I would hate to meet Madea on the wrong side of her anger, but you’ve gotta love her homespun common sense. Not that I would ever choose to mimic her actions, but she is great at illustrating defense mechanisms through comic relief.