#FirstDraft60 Day 16: Inspiration vs. Perspiration (Writing Schedules) #amwriting #nanoprep #nanowrimo

Monday, October 17, 2016

#FirstDraft60 | KayeDacus.comSorry there was no Sunday Reflections post yesterday. I’ve been fighting a weather-triggered migraine all week, and Sunday it got the better of me and I spent most of the day in bed. I’m hoping that (and some good drugs) will help knock it out and make Week 3 of FirstDraft60 much better, and more productive, than Week 2 was for me!

What that means for me is that I have even more catching up to do now.

Oh, and I think I may be re-casting the template for my hero character. But I’ll figure that out when I get caught up to that day’s assignment!

Since I didn’t post yesterday, here’s the week-at-a-glance schedule for Week 3 of FD60:
fd60-week-3

#FirstDraft60 Day 16: Inspiration vs. Perspiration—Setting a Writing Schedule

Assignment 1: Read the post “Inspiration vs. Perspiration (Setting a Writing Schedule)” from FD60 2015. (Link will open it in a new tab/window.) Then come back here to complete the assignments (below).

Assignment 2: Determine what your prep-work/writing schedule will be for each day for the remainder of the challenge (today through November 30, 2016). It may be the same every day, or you may have to mix it up based on prior commitments.

Assignment 3: If don’t already have a wall calendar, print one out and hang it up. Make sure the calendar is hanging somewhere everyone in the house can see it. Write your writing schedule for every day remaining in the challenge on the calendar.

Assignment 4: Share with us what your plan is to make sure that you’re able keep to your writing schedule throughout October—you can even share a photo or link to your calendar if you’d like!

Calendar Template:

Here’s a week-at-a-glance calendar template that you can use to set your prep-work/writing schedule for the remainder of the challenge, in two versions—a printable PDF version and a customizable Excel version. (The Excel version is saved on a shared OneDrive folder—you may need to sign in with a Microsoft account to access it.)

FirstDraft60 Calendar Template–PDF (will open in a new tab/window)

FirstDraft60 Calendar Template (Excel) (will open in a shared OneDrive folder in a new tab/window)

__________________________________________
Work Cited:

L’Engle, Madeleine. Walking on Water: Reflections on Faith and Art. Wheaton, IL: Harold Shaw Publishers, 1980. Print.

1. Monday, October 17, 2016 11:12 am

Here’s my calendar. Once I get past about the middle of the next week, everything is pretty much tentative. And I’ll keep doing my time-tracking chart to record what I actually get done each day. But I knew if I didn’t sit down and do this last night as I was putting this post together, it wasn’t going to happen—especially not after the way I slacked off last week!

2. Monday, October 17, 2016 11:53 am

And I printed it out and hung it right over my desk where I have to look at it every time I go to close a window—because the corner hangs right over the X in the top right-hand corner of my main display!

20161017_114149

3. Monday, October 17, 2016 4:45 pm

Sometimes, the difference between motivation and procrastination is writing down something that you finished before you started making the list, just to have something to mark off.

20161017_163900

Liked by 1 person

• Monday, October 17, 2016 4:46 pm

Also, it was a good time to practice writing with my non-dominant hand. What can I say—I’m a pessimist and I like to be prepared for ANY eventuality!

4. Carol permalink
    Monday, October 17, 2016 7:51 pm

So I don’t have a lot of time during week days to write. But I do have time during my daily train commute-about 20-25 minutes each morning and again each evening. I typically have more time on the weekends. I created a calendar at the beginning of the challenge-it’s on the refrigerator. 🙂 I’m a couple of days behind. If I’m honest with myself I probably won’t get caught up this week, but can definitely get caught up this weekend. My focus this week is to not fall farther behind.

Liked by 1 person

5. Shirley Taylor permalink
    Tuesday, October 18, 2016 4:19 am

So I’m pretty much behind on Days 10-14, though 10 is mainly done just have to now input it into my Scrivener file. My toddler has been difficult this week in that she has been suddenly napping (hasn’t napped in months) late and then keeping me up even later than normal making my planned prep/writing time (7:30am-9:30/10am) impossible to keep because while in my youth sleep was pretty irrelevant to me I cannot say the same as a wife & mother with low thyroid in my 30s – 8 hours is my minimum and even then I require plenty of tea!

Anyway, it’s 1:45am on Tuesday morning (Monday “night”) and I’m up with my toddler…so tomorrow is going to suck as I have to get up with my tween to get her off to the school bus at 6:30am and I am going to make myself stay up (may resort to a coffee instead of tea, which will indicate true desperation) and get my toddler up after I’ve had an hour of writing time so that she will nap earlier (depending on how I feel I may nap also though I’m hoping to stay up and prep/write some more, I’m prone to sleep-deprivation migraines so hopefully I don’t get one) and hopefully it will be the start of getting us back on a better schedule.

I’m still hoping to be able to get back to my week one schedule of prepping/writing from 7:30am to 9:30/10am but I may have to fit it in while my toddler is having one of her happy solo playing times or, as I’ve been attempting to do, work on everything long-hand style so I’m away from computer/internet distractions. I procrastinated a bit today by organizing some of my data folders, then got back to work and had to look up heights of my RWTs and then stumbled into looking at some Google Images and had some additional story ideas (completely different stories too) so I had to save the images in a way that would remind me later…

Even though I haven’t completed all of last week’s assignments I have gotten a fair bit accomplished: In addition to Day 10’s assignment (casting and describing my characters, which means I finally determined exactly what year to set my story in), I’ve written out my Hero & Heroine’s previous history/backstory with each other (not their individual ones yet though), made easy reference timeline notes on the Greek War of Independence (so I don’t have to sift through a dozen different Wikipedia articles for a date I need) and a few historical notes that might apply to my hero’s mother and the same for England’s various forms of police (during which I discovered an amazing & fascinating historical person), come up with a main villain plus a major plot point/scene which features said villain, an opening scene idea for my hero and a portion of my heroine’s backstory.

Writing that out actually helped me see that while I’m struggling to get into the GMC assignment (which I’ve realized is purely because I feel like what I put down has to be concrete and therefore unchangeable which it doesn’t, just close) I haven’t been doing nothing. I basically have my notebook with me constantly and because I’m not currently reading (I’m a 2-3 books a week reading kind of woman) I’m pretty much constantly thinking of my own book and have even had trouble falling asleep a few times because my brain is churning some book thoughts…which is awesome because I haven’t been so inspired in forever and I’m actually doing things that will lead toward the “cooking” part! 😀

Liked by 1 person

6. Sunday, October 23, 2016 12:57 am

I finished making my calendar during Kay’s template – and this week looks ugly. Thankfully, the rest of October and all of November look much better. And if I knew how to embed the image of my calendar, I’d show it all of y’all.

• Sunday, October 23, 2016 2:08 am

See the Day 20 post—there are instructions in it for how to post images in comments.

Trackbacks

1. #FirstDraft60 Day 21: Saturday Catch-Up & Review Day #amwriting #nanowrimo #nanoprep | KayeDacus.com
  2. #FirstDraft60 Day 21: Saturday Catch-Up & Review Day #amwriting #nanoprep #nanowrimo | KayeDacus.com