An Eye-Candy Bequeathal and New Obsession

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

It’s time for me to move on. Long past time, probably, but this previous weekend clinched it.

You see, I’ve had a minor eye-candy obsession with British hottie Henry Cavill for many years now—which is embarrassing, considering how old he was(n’t) when I first started crushing on him:

Dear Henry was but a wee lad of 24 years old in 2007 when I first started crushing on him as Charles Brandon in The Tudors.

But real age aside, he managed to exude maturity in the role of the aging Duke of Suffolk as the series continued (the very deep voice helps).

Oh, yes, another 7 to 10 years and he'll be just perfect!

Oh, yes, another 7 to 10 years and he’ll be just perfect!

Which was why, back in 2010, back when very few people knew his name (mostly just those who watched The Tudors), I chose him as the template for Andrew Lawton in Follow the Heart:

Henry Cavill and the guy who was chosen to represent him on the cover of FTH.

Henry Cavill and the guy who was chosen to represent him on the cover of FTH.

But now that Henry is Superman (a disappointing movie, but Henry looked fabulous in it), everyone knows who he is—and half the romance authors in the world are using him as a template. (The other half are using the template for the hero in An Honest Heart, but we’ll talk about him in a few months.)

So it’s time. Time for me to move on, to get back to crushing on obscure actors that most people have never heard of. Of course I have my two “alternate universe husbands” (i.e., I’m married to them in alternate universes, since each is already married in this one—and since I’ll never meet either of them anyway):

Oded Fehr and Karl Urban, my two main obsessions.

Oded Fehr and Karl Urban, my two “alternate universe husbands.” This puts them on a different plane than my “boyfriends”/obsessions, i.e., those who become the heroes of my novels.
Oded and Karl are mine and mine alone!

So let me take this moment to publicly bequeath Henry Cavill to my dear friend Liz Johnson. (She asked first, ladies. Take it up with her.)

But fear not! I have already chosen my new obscure-actor obsession. And he’s someone I’ve posted as eye candy on the Facebook page (yes, I’ll get back to that sometime this summer), on my eye candy Pinterest board, and even here on the blog.

His name is Marton Csokas (according to his bio on IMDB.com, his last name is Hungarian and pronounced Cho-Kash):

Yep, he's definitely my type! Tall, dark, brooding, and foreign!  (He's Kiwi, like Karl.)

Yep, he’s definitely my type! Tall, dark, brooding, and foreign! (He’s Kiwi, like Karl.)

And not only is he from New Zealand, just like Karl, I also noticed him in the same “place” as Karl—in the Lord of the Rings movies, in which Marton portrayed Celeborn, husband of Galadriel:

And he also wore a long blond wig in LOTR, just like Karl!

And he wore a long blond wig in LOTR, just like Karl!

And another Karl connection—Marton was also in The Bourne Supremacy (he plays the agent in Germany whom Matt Damon beats the crap out of and then blows up with a rolled-up magazine; Karl played the super-sexy assassin, Kiril; yes, apparently I do have a thing for guys who occasionally play villains).

Marton in motion/sound:

No, he doesn’t have as pronounced a Kiwi accent as Karl does.

Here are a few more images, just for good measure:
Marton Montage

Who’s your secret (or not so secret) celebrity crush-of-the-moment?

1. Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:47 am

I might have to fight Liz for the eye-candy! Wowza!! But then the montage at the bottom could make a girl swoon! 🙂

• Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:08 am

And Marton has that age thing going for him, too, given that he’s five years OLDER than me rather than being twelve years younger!

2. Wednesday, June 19, 2013 9:57 am

not so secret: benedict cumberbatch

3. Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:07 am

I actually have another new obsession in the pipeline as well, but I think I’ll keep him secret just a little while longer. 😉

4. Wednesday, June 19, 2013 1:06 pm

I usually crush on the nerdy types like Christopher Gorham, David Krumholtz from Numbers and Zachary Levi in Chuck. (NOT that I don’t appreciate all the other hotties, but I have a thing for brains.) Lately though, it’s been Derek Theler. Saw him first in Baby Daddy where he plays a ‘dumb’ jock with a really sweet heart. But WOOOOOWWW. That man is fine and “Tall as a Church Steeple too!” A little young for me, but not tooo bad. 🙂 http://bit.ly/10xSMqo

5. Ruth permalink
    Wednesday, June 19, 2013 7:13 pm

I gotta say, if I felt about Henry the way you have for years, seeing Man of Steel would’ve put me off him for all time. 😉

• Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Hey, not only did I watch Pathfinder all the way through just because I love Karl Urban so much, I actually own Doom—and watch it from time to time! So, no, MoS is not the reason I’m passing him along to Liz. It was just time to move on. I was pretty sure he was always going to be a passing fancy anyway. Let’s face it: he’s no Paul McGann or Oded Fehr. 😉

• Ruth permalink
        Thursday, June 20, 2013 6:22 pm

Oh I get that. And there’s bad enjoyable when it comes to films and then just bad BAD (MoS is most definitely in the latter camp for me). It’s about put me off Cavill altogether, which is bad since he signed on for The Man from U.N.C.L.E. movie — and I LOVE LOVE LOVE that show. I need that movie to be fun. And I need an awesome Napoleon Solo. 😀

6. Wednesday, June 19, 2013 10:04 pm

Tom Weston-Jones. Yum! And Copper starts back this Sunday!!!!!!

7. Thursday, June 20, 2013 8:40 am

Another fun read indeed! All right, I’ll confess: David Strathairn and Alan Rickman.

• Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:53 pm

I love David Strathairn. I have ever since I saw him in Son of the Morning Star and O Pioneers! in the early 1990s.

8. Amber permalink
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Mine is definitely James Patrick Stuart. I noticed him in a Hallmark movie called Taste of Romance and as Collin on Hot in Cleveland. He’s 20 years older than me, but oh so dreamy! Check out his IMDB page here: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0835722/?ref_=tt_cl_t2

• Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:59 pm

LOL–he is cute, and I really want to think of him as eye candy, but he kind of creeps me out because he played a villain (the head leviathan) in Season 7 of Supernatural in which he was completely over-the-top, and now that’s the only way I can picture him.

• Amber permalink
        Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:08 pm

I didn’t watch Supernatural, but I totally get what you’re saying. Sometimes it’s impossible to forget, lol.

• Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:17 pm

The weird thing is that all three of my main guys (now–Oded, Karl, and Marton) have played very memorable bad guys. But I guess maybe it’s because I came to like them when they were in good-guy roles (Oded as Ardeth Bay in the Mummy movies; Karl and Marton in LOTR) that I can still obsess over them even when they’re being bad.

Trackbacks