Fun Friday–Favorite Victorian Movies

Friday, April 12, 2013

To get you all in the mindset for the next two weeks’ posts delving into the background and inspiration that drove me to write Follow the Heart, I thought I’d kick us off with clips from a few of the Victorian-set films that helped get me “in the mood” to write this new-to-me time period.

Victoria & Albert (miniseries, 2001)

Cranford and Return to Cranford (miniseries based on several stories by Elizabeth Gaskell, 2007, 2009)

Bleak House (miniseries based on the novel by Charles Dickens, 2005)

Lark Rise to Candleford (TV series based on the novel by Flora Thompson, 2008–2011)

The Young Victoria (feature film, 2009)

And, of course . . .

North & South (miniseries based on the novel by Elizabeth Gaskell, 2004)

1. Friday, April 12, 2013 9:49 am

I loved The Young Victoria & North & South! Great picks!

2. Debra E. Marvin permalink
    Friday, April 12, 2013 9:50 am

oh yes, have them all except the Victoria and Albert (I do have Young Victoria) I also soak myself in period films, books and music -which is more difficult when I’m editing in three different eras right now.
    Looking forward to the new series!

• Friday, April 12, 2013 9:53 am

I missed out on the opportunity to get the entire Lark Rise to Candleford series for around $80 a few months ago. I didn’t order it when the price dropped, thinking it would stay that low. 😦 And it’s not streaming anywhere (legally), so I can only watch it when PBS or BBC-A decide to re-run episodes.

• debraemarvin permalink
        Friday, April 12, 2013 10:20 am

I’m pretty sure Lark Rise is available on Amazon Prime. I plan on using that to catch up with the seasons I haven’t seen.

3. Dora permalink
    Friday, April 12, 2013 10:20 am

Loved Young Victoria. Saw it on the lawn of Kennisington Gardens in September, my first full day in London. Wonderful film. Made me more knowledgeable about Victoria, as did a trip through Kinnington Palace later in the week.

4. Amber permalink
    Friday, April 12, 2013 12:39 pm

I haven’t seen any of these! I’ll have to add them to my watch list.