Teaser Tuesday

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Follow the Heart releases in about four months, so I figure it’s time to start whetting your appetites for it. On Tuesdays, I’ll be sharing some of my favorite lines/passages from random spots in the book. No spoilers, but hopefully enough of a glimpse into the characters and story that you’ll want to read it.

Let’s kick things off with the end of Chapter Three, shall we.

Andrew kept smiling at her in that infuriatingly superior way. He straightened and hefted the spade over his shoulder. “And that, Miss Dearing, is the very attitude that leads to overgrowth and destruction in nature—and chaos and ill discipline in people.” He inclined his head and walked away, whistling.

Kate stared after him, speechless. Had he just called her chaotic and ill disciplined? She took a few steps after him—desperate to ask him to clarify—but two other men approached him and she stopped.

She looked down at the shrub, which had started falling over again. With determination, she crouched and shoved as much of the dirt Andrew Lawton had dug up back over the shrub’s roots, and pounded it back into the hole with all of her frustration.

Next time she saw Andrew Lawton, she would be the one to walk away whistling. Just see if she didn’t.

1. Sylvia M. permalink
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:29 pm

I can’t wait to read this book. Are you still doing four viewpoints in each book of this series? I’ve already pre-ordered Follow the Heart and will just have to wait until May. 🙂

• Tuesday, January 8, 2013 1:55 pm

I am doing four viewpoints in each one—basically two romance stories in each (though in the second book, the secondary viewpoint characters are the antagonists to the main characters). And this works out well, because in the chapter I’m writing right now, I just had my main hero drop a massive bomb (the secret he’s been keeping from the heroine)—and it gives me the opportunity to cut away to a completely different location/different characters and leave that hanging until the beginning of the next chapter.

2. Susan Mason permalink
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:58 pm

Sounds like my kind of book! I love books with more than one romance going on!

Cheers,
    Sue

3. Wednesday, January 9, 2013 9:42 am

Cannot wait to read this, Kaye!!! 🙂

4. Misty permalink
    Wednesday, January 9, 2013 3:17 pm

OOOh this is going to be great. Can’t wait. 🙂

5. Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:48 am

So, serious question here. I’ve got an advance review copy of Follow the Heart (yay!), but the Ransome trilogy is still sitting on my to-be-read shelf. I know FTH is the start of a new series, but I think I remember you saying it was also a kind of follow-on from the Ransome books.

Will reading FTH now ‘spoil’ some of the Ransome storylines, or do I really need to read them first?

• Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:27 am

Nope, it’s not connected with the Ransome series in any way. (Well . . . there is a little “Easter egg” of a passing mention in one of the dinner scenes, but nothing that spoils anything about the Ransome series and something people might not pick up on if they haven’t read that series.)

• Thursday, January 10, 2013 8:29 am

Before I came up with the idea for this series, I had pitched a follow-up series to Ransome, but the original publisher wasn’t interested in it, so I moved on to new characters/ideas.

6. Thursday, January 10, 2013 2:43 pm

Cool! I’ll get reading it then. Looking forward to it.

7. Monday, January 14, 2013 2:06 pm

And… it was excellent. My review will follow closer to the time, but this is certainly up to the high standard you have set in your previous books. Well done!

Trackbacks