Thursday Thought Provoker

Thursday, May 26, 2011

1. Thursday, May 26, 2011 12:17 am

Although I’m currently sick of the All-Things-Jane-Austen-All-the-Time trend we’ve seen for the last four or five years, I’d have to say that the classic that I’ve read the greatest number of times as well as the one which has had the most dramatic and literal impact on my life is Jane Austen’s Persuasion. Not only do I identify with Anne Eliot the most out of all the Austen heroines, but Frederick Wentworth is my favorite Austen hero. And it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that the Ransome Trilogy and Love Remains were inspired by it.

2. Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:03 am

When I read this I thought I mostly read childrens books and no real classics but I then remembered I read the Little women series and loved them, Then there was Pollyanna, Heidi. Then I thought of the Billabong by Mary Grant Bruce. These were great books they about growing up in Australia and we then see Norah marry and into Adulthood and ww1. I didn’t read all the book but they were classics in Australia.
    But then I thought an Australian Classic was Seven little Australians by Ethel Turner I had the books and read it and the sequal. then it became a series here also.

• Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:21 pm

Ooh, thanks for the reminder. I really need to read Seven Little Australians if my historical proposal sells, since one of the books features an Australian hero!

3. Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:04 am

I can never seem to choose just one, so I’d have to say Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy and The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas.

• Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:22 pm

I’m impressed with anyone who can read books that long! Especially since they’re translations (or at least, I assume they’re translations—next you’ll surprise me by telling me you’ve read them in the original Russian and French!) 🙂

• Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:37 pm

LOL! No, I definitely don’t read or speak Russian, and my French is definitely not good enough to try to read Dumas.

Now, I might be able to read Harry Potter in French, provided I also have my English copies next to me. 😉

4. Lyndie Blevins permalink
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:28 am

Citzen Kane

• Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Interesting! I’ve never even seen the movie, much less thought about picking up the book. What is it about it that makes it your favorite?

5. Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:35 am

That’s tough. I do love Austen. But I love J.R.R. Tolkien more.

#1 The Lord of the Rings
    #2 Pride & Prejudice

There are books written in the sixties, or right around that time, that I adore. But I’d have to go look them all up to be sure of their pub dates. Mary Stewart. Edith Pargeter/Ellis Peters among them.

• Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:23 pm

LOTR—love the movies, had to force myself to make it all the way through the books. And now I need to sit down and read The Hobbit before the movies come out.

• Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:28 pm

I love LOTR! I was put off by it for years before the movies came out, and then I had to sit down and “make” myself read about 50 or so pages. After that I carried that 3-in-1 with me EVERYWHERE until I finished it. 🙂

6. Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:25 am

Fahrenheit 451. (At least, I think that was pre-1960.)

• Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:24 pm

Yep, it was published in 1951. I need to add more Bradbury to my reading list.

7. Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:16 am

The Great Gatsby. LOVE. IT.

Then I remembered the Little House on the Prairie series which I absolutely love too. My favorite there is The Long Winter.

So which one do I like more??? Oh, it’s hard–and they’re so different. I don’t think I can decide–but now I’m going to have to reread them both. 🙂

• Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:40 am

Those are both great choices. I’ve read “The Long Winter” so many times it’s ridiculous! 😀

• Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:38 pm

Oh, I love The Great Gatsby too! Definitely my favorite American novel.

8. Audry permalink
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:30 am

Anne of Green Gables

Runners up:

the rest of the Anne of Green Gables series
    The Count of Monte Christo
    The Lord of the Rings
    Dracula

• Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:25 pm

I have an audio book of Dracula read by Greg Wise. I’ve only listened to about the first 25% of it, but I need to finish it—both for the story, and for listening to his silky-smooth voice!

• Audry permalink
        Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:45 pm

I’ll have to see if I can find that – I like listening to audio books, especially if the readers are really good. I first read Dracula for English class in high school, and I thought the first 50-75 pages or so (or rather, the 50-75 pages after Jonathan’s initial visit to Transylvania) were the most horribly boring thing ever, but after that it got really good!

9. Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:40 am

There are so many classics I haven’t read, but one that I’ve read more than once, and still love, is “Little Women.” Even as a teenager, I was a sucker for an overly-long novel! 😀

• Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:26 pm

I think I’ve mentioned this here before, but I didn’t read Little Women until I was in my twenties (after the Winona Ryder/Christian Bale movie came out), and while I enjoyed it, I just didn’t get as lost in it as I probably would have if I’d come to it as a teenager.

10. Thursday, May 26, 2011 11:48 am

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
        Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini
        The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
        The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas

11. Keith R permalink
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:54 pm

I fell in love with two classics in High School and college. You know the ones that get assigned and you sigh and say, “Fine, if I have to” but end up reading way before the deadline because you loved them?

First is A Tale of Two Cities, one of the best ever written.

Second was Fathers and Sons by Turgenev. A phenomenal read and seems underrated to me all time.

• Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:20 pm

I loved A Tale of Two Cities too. Also, For Whom the Bell Tolls by Hemingway.

A Wrinkle in Time (and the many, many Scholastic Books I read) sparked my love of reading. I’m so thankful I was encouraged to read as a child/teenager! What a great gift.

12. Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:54 pm

Wuthering Heights & Jane Eyre, then Emma and Anne of Green Gables! Favorite heroes are Mr. Rochester & Mr Knightley, though 🙂

13. Asha Wise permalink
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:44 pm

Classic books are my favorite so my list is long but my top ones are:

Pride and Prejudice
    The Secret Garden
    The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Huckleberry Finn
    Breakfast at Tiffany’s
    Peter Pan

14. Thursday, May 26, 2011 3:41 pm

It would be a toss up between Little Women and the Little House books.

15. Thursday, May 26, 2011 4:51 pm

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. I read it at least once a year. I love the transformation of Francie from little girl to young woman and how the historical events around her influence her. My favorite book EVER. And I have to confess to loving Gone with the Wind. The book is so different than the movie. Scarlett winds up being a much more sympathetic character in the book. (Hated the sequel though.)

16. Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Pride and Prejudice would have to top the list as my very favorite (there’s a reason why Jane Austen is so popular to the point of overload – she’s awesome! :-)) I also loved Emma.

Beyond her books…well, I love many of those listed above (including Little Women and the Anne of Green Gable books) but to add a few that aren’t listed:

Wives and Daughters as well as North and South both by Elisabeth Gaskell
    Bath Tangle and other Regency Romances by Georgette Heyer – I think hers were written before 1960…

• Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:14 pm

definitely North & South by Elizabeth Gaskell. The book is much better than the BBC mini series.

17. Thursday, May 26, 2011 10:27 pm

My fav. classics are also my fav books! : Les Miserables by Hugo, Great Expectations by Dickens and the Blue Castle by L M Montgomery 🙂

18. Friday, May 27, 2011 10:04 pm

An Old-Fashioned Girl by Louisa May Alcott. Little Women is good, but this one is her masterpiece!

The Phantom of the Opera (in which there is an entire chapter devoted to the curious affair of a safety pin as it related to a trap set for the phantom)
    The Secret Garden
    Jane Eyre
    A Little Princess

I was very excited to pick up the B&N Classics edition of The Secret Garden for free a few weeks ago. I have no idea what happened to my paper copy!