Writer’s Window: Laura Frantz

Monday, August 9, 2010

Over the last couple of months, I’ve had the blessing of starting to get to know fellow historical romance author Laura Frantz. So far, we’ve only met online, but I hope to be meeting her in person soon! I’m so excited for y’all to get to know her better, too. And I’m anxiously awaiting the day when I’ll have time to read, because Laura’s books are definitely on my must-read list!

Courting Morrow Little

Caught between the wilderness and civilization, Morrow Little must find her way to true love.

Morrow Little is haunted by the memory of the day her family was torn apart by raiding Shawnee warriors. Now that she is nearly a grown woman and her father is ailing, she must make difficult choices about the future. Several men–ranging from the undesired to the unthinkable–vie for her attentions, but she finds herself inexplicably drawn to a forbidden love that both terrifies and intrigues her. Can she betray the memory of her lost loved ones–and garner suspicion from her friends–by pursuing a life with him? Or should she seal her own misery by marrying a man she doesn’t love?

This sweeping tale of romance and forgiveness will envelop you as it takes you from a Kentucky fort through the vast wilderness of the West.

What do you like best about being a writer?

Working at home after being in a classroom or office for thirty-plus years. Also, happy readers are simply the best!

What do you like least about being a writer?

I think some negatives would be the demands placed on writers—all the other stuff they must do besides writing (marketing, networking, etc.). Since I’m happy to sit in my corner solo and just enjoy the JOY of writing, this has been somewhat of a shock to me. Mix in a family and church and life and you get a very bumpy ride:-).

Pop, Soda, or Coke? What do you call it, and what’s your favorite variety?

Since I’m a Kentucky girl, we call it all Coca-Cola no matter if it’s Dr. Pepper or Pepsi or something else entirely. Out here in the northwest woods, everything is Pop. Personally I love Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry.

Describe your favorite pair of shoes.

Oh, without a doubt my Sketchers—so feminine with all those blue and pink stripes and buttons and bows :-). You can run a mile in them or go to some book function.

What’s the most fun/interesting/crazy/scary/unique hands-on research you’ve done for a book?

I lived in a British castle. Does that count? When I did, I just knew the Lord meant for me to write a book about it someday. And so I did—the sequel to The Frontiersman’s Daughter. But my publisher didn’t ask to see it and I’m glad they didn’t!

Candles. We all have them. But do you burn them? What scents are your favorite?

Oh, love them! But I burn them sparingly as they’re expensive. My fave is Yankee Candle Company’s Vanilla Lime. If you close your eyes you can almost believe you’re in the tropics sipping on an alcohol-free Margarita :-).

Have you ever re-gifted something someone’s given you?

Yes, books, especially those I know I’ll never read. Like the Oprah recommended books and things like that.

If you were to write a novel about what your life would have been like if you’d become what you wanted to be at eight years old, what kind of character would the story be about?

I did write the book and it was published! I refer to the The Frontiersman’s Daughter as the book of my heart because at age seven I wanted to be the daughter of Daniel Boone, and I spent my childhood imagining what that must have been like. Thus you have the story of Lael (aka Laura) in the howling wilderness of 18th-Century Kentucky.

What makes you happy?

Knowing I’m in the center of God’s will for me. It took a long time but I feel I’m where I should be. Having a family is such a blessing. Becoming published never fails to amaze me!

What makes you nervous?

Recently I heard a fellow author say that publishing will break your heart. I think they were talking about the industry. My concern is that the joy of writing is often lost in the publishing process. Christian authors really need to remember WHO they’re writing for and that it’s not all about them to stay grounded.

What’s the best piece of writing advice you’ve ever received?

To write what you’re passionate about. If you do that passion will come through to the reader. If you write for the market I don’t think it will.

What’s your biggest dream for the future?

To see my sons develop into healthy, godly men like my brother, Chris, who lives in Spain as an international worker/missionary.

Tell us about what you’re currently writing (or your newest release, or both).

I just finished The Colonel’s Lady on August 1. It’s a story set in 18th-Century Kentucky and involves a Revolutionary War hero and a spinster. My second book with Revell, Courting Morrow Little, just released in June. I’d love for readers to go to Christianbook.com or Amazon and read the blurb!

Where can people find out more about you/connect with you online?

———————————————
Laura Frantz credits her 100-year-old grandmother as being the catalyst for her fascination with Kentucky history. Frantz’s family followed Daniel Boone into Kentucky in 1792 and settled in Madison County, where her family still resides. Frantz is the author of The Frontiersman’s Daughter and Courting Morrow Little and currently lives in the misty woods of Washington State with her husband and two sons.

Add to FacebookAdd to DiggAdd to Del.icio.usAdd to StumbleuponAdd to RedditAdd to BlinklistAdd to TwitterAdd to TechnoratiAdd to Yahoo BuzzAdd to Newsvine

1. Virginia C permalink
    Monday, August 9, 2010 6:30 am

Hello, Laura & Kaye : )

Laura, I so enjoy learning a little more about you in each interview! The key to real happiness is to remain true to who you are and to stand firm in your personal beliefs. You seem to share the same philosophy in your personal life and in your writing. “The Frontiersman’s Daughter” is always at the top of my favorites list. My copy of “Courting Morrow Little” is on it’s way to my eager hands and eyes, and I greatly look forward to later meeting “The Colonel’s Lady”.

Kaye, I am collecting two of your wonderfully written book series: “The Ransome Trilogy” and “The Brides of Bonneterre”. You and Laura are both on my “keeper shelf”, and that’s a very good thing : )

• Monday, August 9, 2010 1:23 pm

Hi, Virginia!

I have a couple of “keeper” shelves like that, so I’m honored that my books are on yours!

2. Monday, August 9, 2010 9:11 am

Kaye, That’s a beautiful quote by Lewis – one I’ve not seen before. Thanks so much for inviting me over here. Your blog is one of my favorites and some of your readers are my readers:) Unfortunately, my laptop imploded after I turned book 3 in a few days ago so it’s in for repairs and I haven’t been online much. But it’s wonderful to see you and meet your readers today. Only 39 days till ACFW Indy!

• Monday, August 9, 2010 1:23 pm

I’m so glad you could participate—hope your laptop is fixed soon!

Can’t wait to see you in Indy. 😀

3. Monday, August 9, 2010 9:18 am

So sorry to hear your laptop has imploded, Laura. I know the feeling, I woke up on Saturday to mine being attacked by a virus. Thankfully, all is well now! Calling it coke must be according to the part of the state you are from, because when I was growing up in Pikeville, we called it pop. My grandfather’s always called it pepsi, probably because there was a pepsi bottling plant in Pikeville once.

Enjoyed the interview, Kaye! Then again, I enjoy all of them even if I don’t comment.

• Monday, August 9, 2010 1:27 pm

It’s definitely a regional thing as to what they’re called. I grew up in New Mexico calling all varieties of carbonated beverages “coke.” Same thing in Louisiana (my favorite kind being Dr. Pepper). But when I lived in the Washington DC area, I quickly adapted to calling it “soda,” which has stayed with me in the fifteen years since I moved away—mainly because Nashville has a very eclectic population, from all over the country, so I still hear it a lot, and then also because I’m an editor and part of my job is to try to remove all specific brand names from the books I edit. So I make myself use the terms soda and tissue and photocopy instead of Coke, Kleenex, and Xerox, so that when I see those used in the books I edit, they stand out to me.

4. Monday, August 9, 2010 10:42 am

Would you believe MY laptop imploded, too? How weird is that? I’ve not been online all weekend, and as soon as I got to a point at work where I could check in, I thought of Kaye’s “Writer’s Window,” and had to see who it featured – and it was LAURA! Happy Dance! From one Kentucky girl to another, I love seeing you all over the place! 🙂

• Monday, August 9, 2010 1:28 pm

After the number of hours that my laptop spent on last weekend, I’m surprised it didn’t. But it’s still kicking (of course, I have the desktop computer for my heavy-duty daily work, too, so it gets to rest now).

5. Kav permalink
    Monday, August 9, 2010 10:58 am

I’m happy dancing right along with Regina. I LOVE Laura’s books. In fact, I was at the Christian bookstore this weekend and ended up assisting some customers who had come in from out of town for some sort of church do and they were buying Christmas presents because they won’t have a chance to get back to the city before then. The store was hopping with a busload of these eager shoppers. Anyway, there were quite a few lost souls in the fiction section and they latched onto me. That happens to me alot either at the library or in a bookstore. LOL. Most of the ladies and a couple of gentlemen were looking for books for their daughters. When I found out they liked historical romance but had never read any of the inspirational variety I went to town. Nearly depleted the ‘Courting Morrow Little’ pile, Laura and the Ransome’s Honor and Ransome’s Crossing as well, Kaye. I had a blast picking out books for Christmas presents for complete strangers. I should work there full time!

• Sylvia M. permalink
      Monday, August 9, 2010 12:24 pm

LOL! Great work, Kav! All authors need people like you in bookstores. 🙂 I’ve done that a couple of times too, but it was before these authors were published.

• Monday, August 9, 2010 1:29 pm

I have a tendency to do that whenever I’m in a bookstore—even when I’m there doing a book signing. I’m always asked for book recommendations, and I’m only too happy to recommend all my friends’ books to them.

6. Cassie Gish permalink
    Monday, August 9, 2010 11:26 am

I absolutely loved Laura’s bok Courting Morrow Little! I can’t wait to read her next one The Colonel’s Lady! Thank you for having her on your Writer’s Window Kaye!!

7. Monday, August 9, 2010 11:46 am

Great interview, Kaye & Laura. I love your advice about remembering Who we’re writing for and to write our passion. That is so true.

39 days till ACFW?! Oh boy, do I have a lot of work to do …

• Monday, August 9, 2010 1:29 pm

Is it possible to lose a pound per day between now and then? 😉

8. Sylvia M. permalink
    Monday, August 9, 2010 12:24 pm

I have TFD checked out of the library right now and am looking forward to reading it! 🙂

• Monday, August 9, 2010 1:30 pm

I’m sooooooo looking forward to later this fall when I might have time to read!

9. Monday, August 9, 2010 12:34 pm

Sorry to hear about your laptop, Laura! Major bummer. Excited about reading The Colonel’s Lady, though. 🙂 Loved your first two books. Thanks for sharing the interview!

10. Monday, August 9, 2010 9:11 pm

Hope that laptop is soon mended. Sure miss you! Fun to know a few new things about you and can’t wait to read TCL in its polished form. 🙂 Looking forward to ACFW!

11. Tuesday, August 10, 2010 11:56 am

Okay, laptop is fixed but still acting funky:) Sigh. Wish I was a bit more computer savvy. Wanted to check back and say hi.
    Virginia ~ so happy you’re going to read CML. I know you’ll enjoy Kaye’s books! I’m going to give away 2 of hers this month on my blog but I had to have my own copies b4 I could part with extras:)
    Michelle, Here’s hoping you’re back online ~ I think you work on your computer too and can’t be w/0 for long. It leaves me feeling half-dressed for some reason when it goes down:) And that’s not a good thing!
    Regina, Might you and Michelle and I have the same virus – lol! Praying yours is all better now, too:) And so happy to hear your gracious words – you are good at spreading them all over the place yourself!
    Kav, You are my Canadian marketer, for sure!! What would I do w/0 you?! I’m still sort of floating from the news that CML was even at your bookstore and was going, going, gone… So glad you know Kaye. Bless you for plugging our books!
    Sylvia, Thanks to you, too! Word of mouth is so important in the book biz. Good to meet you here! And I’m so glad to know you found TFD at your library, one of my favorite haunts in the whole world:)
    Cassie, I tried to find you but you are one of the blogless ones:) Thanks so much for your gracious words – they are such a blessing. So, so happy you liked Morrow’s story!! That sure means a lot to me.
    Brenda, You always make me smile when you pop up:) I sure hope we can chuck some lbs b4 Sept. My vacation last week just about killed me!
    Lori, Bless u for stopping here. I’m so excited for your own book adventures. Kaye and I will be hosting you next:)
    Ruth, Ah, reviewer extraordinaire:) Thanks for being a faithful friend. Bless u all!