I HATE Waiting

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

“Someday, my prince will come . . .”

“Have patience, have patience, don’t be in such a hurry . . .”

“Good things come to those who wait . . .”

“How much of human life is lost in waiting.” (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I hate waiting. Apparently when I was on the assembly line, they skipped me past the station where they install patience (and mercy and hospitality and optimism—which I believe are all tied in with each other), because I have absolutely no patience whatsoever!

This is when it really sucks to be a freelancer and depend on irregularly timed payments so that I can pay bills. Every day for the past two weeks, I’ve listened for the mail truck and then gone rushing out to my mailbox hoping to find an envelope containing a check from one of the publishing houses I work for. And every day for the past two weeks, there’s been NO CHECK! Which means I’ve got bills that were due at the beginning of the month that are now past due because I don’t want to have to dip into my (dwindling) savings account to pay monthly bills . . . again.

A lot of this is a control issue for me. I can control when I get my work finished and turned in. But I can’t control how long it takes the various publishers for which I work to get the invoice sent over to whoever cuts the check, nor how long it takes that person to then cut and mail me the check.

A lot of this, though, also has to do with my personality that gives me a black-and-white, if-then outlook on life. If I get my freelance projects turned in by deadline, then I should be able to expect a check by a certain date, based on when I’ve gotten paid before—not based on when they decide to get around to paying me, right? (And I do have to say, one of the houses I work for is great about this. I know they cut checks on Fridays, so as long as I get my project turned in by Thursday evening/Friday morning, I can expect a check by the middle to end of the next week.)

So what lessons can I learn from this? Well, I’ve come up with two:
1. Stop worrying, fretting, stressing (whatever you want to term it) over things that are out of my control.

2. Watch expenditures more closely and budget better.

What has waiting taught you in the past (or now)?

1. Tuesday, April 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Waiting has taught me how much I hate to wait. 🙂

I’m actually wrestling with this in a few parts of my life right now…will I really be willing to wait for years or maybe decades if that’s what God wants on certain things? Right now, I’ll have to admit…I don’t know if I can.

I guess that’s why patience is a virtue and not something very common. 🙂

2. Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:04 pm

Oh, forgot to mention, I’m also waiting on a swimsuit (an “aquatard” designed for athletic swimming/water aerobics) that I ordered a week and a half ago to arrive so that I can add swimming to my weekly exercise routine as soon as possible. Was supposed to arrive in 6 to 10 days. Going on Day 12 . . .

3. Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:27 pm

Waiting is the worst. Right now I’m fighting with slow Internet at work – the library. It always gets slow this time of day. Our blogs this weekat Inkspirational Messages are, for the most part, about the passage of time. Funny how some things seem to make time FLY, while others (like your computer saying that “the server is taking too long to respond,” DUH) seem to make time crawl like molasses on a cold day. If you get it figured out, let me know.

4. Tuesday, April 13, 2010 3:33 pm

Ugh! I’m a control freak, a worrier and the like. I feel for ya! Let me know too if you get the magic pill 🙂

5. Tuesday, April 13, 2010 4:19 pm

Freelancing is so difficult financially. My dad was a freelance artist, and I remember hearing my parents frustrations at times regarding delayed payments. Of course, being in the ministry, there have been times when my husband has had to go ask for his paycheck…totally embarrassing. lol (I can laugh now…it wasn’t so funny at the time!) Oh…I’ve been waiting a year for my house to sell. Does that count? 🙂

6. Lizard permalink
    Tuesday, April 13, 2010 7:47 pm

I got my masters degree last August and I still don’t have a job. I have been applying to various places, but the jobs that I really want want you to have experience (which you don’t have right out of school). I have starting applying to just about any job I come across whether or not it sounds like something I would love to do. I just want a paycheck and health insurance. Is that so much to ask?

The impatience comes in waves at this point. I have gotten better at putting the worry out of my head, but I also putting other things off that I should be doing. I keep saying that tomorrow I will … and the next morning I just can’t work up the energy to do it. I am having a fun day out with girlsfriends tomorrow so I am hoping that will re-energize me and make me want to do more. Good luck to everyone else that is waiting for something right now.

7. Audrey permalink
    Wednesday, April 14, 2010 10:54 am

I have been applying for 3-5 jobs per week, whatever I think I might even be semi-qualified for, for 7 months and nada. I might get an interview here and there and they’ll seem very interested in having me work there and say that they will get back to me, but they never do.

I just hate waiting and waiting and hoping to hear back from one of the places. It’s getting fustrating, no matter how positive I try to stay.

As far as “someday my prince will come” Pfft, I’ve given up on that. :p

8. Sunday, April 18, 2010 7:55 am

I LOVE the Charlie Brown picture! I am so that. Waiting produces anxiety (for me) and I must remind myself of all the good waiting verses. They that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength.
    Love your honesty.