Cast Yourself!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A couple of weeks ago on FaceBook, it was “Doppelgänger Week” during which people were supposed to change their profile picture to the image of a celebrity people have told them (or they think) they look like.

Here’s the one I ended up using:

But here are two I could have used:

“Casting” ourselves is partially objective—we have certain features like face shape, eye color, skin tone, hair color, eyebrow heaviness :-)—but mostly subjective. Whom do we want to look like?

It’s a lot like how for writers, a piece of us ends up in every character we write. It’s all about the fantasy of being someone else, of living a different life, of having made different choices.

So it’s time for you to cast yourself. What celebrity would you choose as your Doppelgänger?

Don’t forget, tomorrow is Open Mic day. Be thinking about what you want to discuss! (NOT American Idol, though. My blog, my rules!)

1. Amee permalink
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:09 am

In high school I was always told I looked like Alexis Bledel.

Now I’ve been told I look like Zooey Deschanel:
    http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/arts/photos/2008/06/06/deschanel-zooey_584.jpg (this picture is the one my friend showed me saying it looked like me)

I can only wish I looked like these either of them. I really don’t see any resemblance…aside from dark hair, bangs, and blue eyes, I’m not sure I really look like them.

• Tuesday, February 23, 2010 11:05 am

Hey . . . If I look like Emily Deschanel and you look like Zooey, we must look a lot alike!

2. Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:13 am

I don’t really know if I can find a true doppleganger. The closest I’ve seen is former baseball player John Kruk.

• Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:52 am

I can see it in the face . . . but not in the mullet! 😉

• Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:23 pm

In the 80s when Kruk played I did have the mullet. I had one of his jerseys and when I wore it people would ask me for an autograph.

3. Jess permalink
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:17 am

You DO look like Jane Russell.
    I’ve been told I look like the little blond boy from Gladiator. By two separate people, apropos of nothing. So I guess I’ll go with that.

4. Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:48 am

This is depressing. I’ve never been told I look like anybody famous. People always think I look like somebody they KNOW, but that’s not the same thing. I always wanted to look like Maureen O’Hara or Mary Tyler Moore. But such is life.

5. Lori C permalink
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:37 pm

I would cast myself as Kat Von D. This particular pic is much like me…my younger days! 🙂

6. Tuesday, February 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Hummm…I’d have to say Angela Bassett. We have similar skin tone, but I wish I had her great abs and strong arms. Oh well…one can dream.

• Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:04 pm

Good choice! As I said, this is only partially about being objective and a whole lotta wishing and dreaming!

7. Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:11 pm

My roommate in college said I looked like the actress that plays Mary’s assistant in the Wedding Planner. I see her point (though judging off this picture, you may not 😉 ).

A year or two ago, I found a celebrity-look-a-like-finder. I can’t remember who they said I looked like.

• Tuesday, February 23, 2010 2:40 pm

FWIW, my first thought was “she kinda looks like Bridget Fonda.”

• Tuesday, February 23, 2010 5:28 pm

I totally see the resemblance between the photos! Thanks!

8. Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:20 pm

I’ve had several different people tell me I look like Jane Seymour (a young version, as she’s a bit my senior. 😉 ). Ha. Not that I wouldn’t be positively THRILLED if I did, but I don’t think so. 😉

I think it’s more about the little details. Like people say that I do that half-smile thing she does. We both have the same face shape. Eye color/shape. Long hair (mine’s a bit lighter).

Beyond that, I’m not sure about the resemblence. 😉

• Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:26 pm

And I can’t believe how much you look like the pics you posted, Kaye!!!

9. Becky Miller permalink
    Tuesday, February 23, 2010 1:53 pm

I did Catherine Bell as my doppelgänger, and I used this picture: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/Catherine_Bell_200101233d_hr.jpg

A few of my friends actually thought it was a picture of me.

10. Tuesday, February 23, 2010 3:31 pm

I’ve never had anyone compare me to a celebrity either, Regina. Might be harder for Kaye to come up with one for me as we have yet to meet in person. 🙂

• Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:02 pm

I’ve never met Regina in person either!

Let’s see . . . you may not look a whole lot like her, but from what I know of you from reading your blog for so long, I’d probably cast you as Gina Torres:

• Tuesday, February 23, 2010 4:28 pm

Oooooo … nice! I think Kaye’s good at this, don’t you, Patricia? 😉

11. Tuesday, February 23, 2010 7:56 pm

The closest I can come up with is
    Linda Blair, and she’s only 2 years older than me. That should make some heads turn.

12. Audrey permalink
    Friday, February 26, 2010 7:13 pm

A few of my teachers (and some college professors) upon seeing me for the first time remarked that I looked like Audrey Hepburn, only blond. Of course, this was before they learned what my name was and the fact that I was named after her.
    Me, I fail to see it and even on the celebrity look-alike website, none of those matches even came close to being a possibility in any way, if it be eye color, eyebrows, skin type, etc.