Fun Friday Post 3: Snow Day!

Friday, January 29, 2010

fun-friday.jpg

Comments made on this post before midnight PACIFIC time (1 a.m. Mountain/2 a.m. Central/3 a.m. Eastern) will count toward the contest!

It’s been snowing all day in Nashville. Originally, they forecast us to be on the snow/ice line—which usually means we get what looks like a dusting because it’s all sleet. Well, it was supposed to start as sleet/freezing rain around 11 a.m. this morning (according to local forecasters/TWC) as sleet/freezing rain and then change over to snow in the afternoon, with accumulations in town (I live six miles from downtown) of two to four inches, and six to eight north of town.

Knowing it wasn’t supposed to start until later in the morning, I went ahead and put in an online order for a prescription I hadn’t realized I was about to run out of, thinking I’d pick it up around 10 a.m., before the “major winter weather event” happened.

Well . . . this is what I discovered when I was ready to walk out of the house at 10:30 to run to Kroger to get my prescription:

So I didn’t think it was worth the risk. But at two o’clock, when my UPS delivery came, I noticed that the street didn’t look nearly as bad, even though it had been snowing steadily all day:

So I made a Kroger run and got my ‘scrip, along with milk and bacon, because I was going to run out before the weekend was over (and no milk means NO COFFEE—which is NOT acceptable). Between 6:30 and 7:00 p.m., I could hear that the precipitation had changed over to sleet, but the forecasters were saying that it would only last a short time before changing back to snow. And by 9:30, when I went out to capture these photos, it was a mix of sleet and snow:

And with the flash turned on, you can see it’s still coming down!

1. Friday, January 29, 2010 10:22 pm

We waited all day for it, and it finally got underway about 2:30. I think we’re up to about 3 inches,it’s STILL snowing, and we’re expecting another couple of inches overnight. So I’ll get MY snow day tomorrow! Whoo-hoo!

2. Friday, January 29, 2010 10:23 pm

I’m sooooo ready for winter to be over! I live in SW Pennsylvania and we don’t have any snow on the groud right now but it is FREEZING!! That groundhog better not see his shadow…or it’s not going to go well for him πŸ˜›

Glad you made it to the store and back safely to get your must haves! πŸ™‚

3. Sylvia permalink
    Friday, January 29, 2010 10:34 pm

Same here in N.C.! We have three or four inches and it’s still snowing! It’s just gorgeous. Kaye, since you have snow at your place you should write a snowball fight scene in one of your upcoming books. The snow should put you in a writing mood! You could make one of your characters get snowed in and have a bad cold or the flu. The hero braves the snow and comes to take care of her. πŸ™‚

4. Friday, January 29, 2010 10:56 pm

Nice! I wish we’d get some. The way it works here in the Rogue Valley is that the temps warm up when there’s cloud cover, so we’re right at the rain/snow line on the valley floor. Now and then we get a few inches, which usually disappears the next day. But then, we only have to drive a few minutes into the mountains and there’s all the snow you could want.

5. Amee permalink
    Friday, January 29, 2010 11:00 pm

We got some snow/sleet here in Missouri (KC area). I think they got like 3 inches an hour or so south of here. Just a nice dusting for me though. πŸ™‚

6. Becky Miller permalink
    Friday, January 29, 2010 11:59 pm

Snow I don’t mind. Yucky to shovel, but that’s okay. The bitter cold is killing me. Today it was just bone-bitingly cold.

7. Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:11 am

We got freezing rain yesterday, then it snowed lightly all day today! Not as bad as they predicted.

8. Saturday, January 30, 2010 11:34 am

Yes, the Kansas City area has snow. I’m ok with it as long as the roads aren’t bad. I am TERRIFIED of driving on bad roads. Soooooo. I’m ready for spring! I love snow in November/December, but after Christmas…well, there’s not a lot of use for it! πŸ˜‰

9. Saturday, January 30, 2010 11:43 am

It looks like you got a fair share, though Kaye! Isn’t it so pretty? I’m glad you are getting to enjoy some of the fluffy white stuff.

I live in the winter wonderland of Maine so we have tons and tons of snow. There was so much plowed into the corner of the parking lot at work (a pile 15 feet high) that they had to have it removed by a dump truck so we’d have places to park.

I remember when I went to college in Mississippi that everything pretty much came to a screeching halt when it snowed. No one was really prepared. Here at least we are all well equipped and experienced that many brave out during the worse blizzards (though I prefer to stay cozy and safe).

10. Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:10 pm

I hate snow.

I moved south from PA hoping to avoid it as much as possible.

I HATE snow.

11. Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:31 pm

Yep, it looks just about like that in my back yard this morning. I’m down in Memphis, and we got more freezing rain/sleet/wintry mix than snowfall. Not really wanting to drive around in it today, but I think I might not have a choice. I, too, need to get some milk. :o(

12. Saturday, January 30, 2010 12:47 pm

We have about 6 inches in Western Kentucky, with drifts knee-deep! Very pretty – It’s drifted on rooftops to where it looks like icing melting off a warm cake . . .

13. Saturday, January 30, 2010 1:01 pm

I posted a final few pictures this morning. It turned into sleet/freezing rain last night, so there’s a layer of ice on top of the show that compacted it down a little bit. I wish I’d measured last night when it was still fluffy—probably would have been close to six inches.

14. Sunday, January 31, 2010 2:57 pm

Those pictures bring back pictures of what a real snow looks like. We haven’t had one of those in years. When I was a teenager, my dad loved to drive the back roads and slide in areas that hadn’t seen a car all day. Loads of fun . . .