A Colorful Day

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

In my effort to raise my interest in healthy foods, I’ve decided that for the rest of the summer (and into the fall, however long it lasts), I’m going to do as much of my food shopping at the large farmers’ market in downtown Nashville. Rather than fight the crowds on the weekends, though, I’ve chosen to go during the week when, yes, there are fewer displays/sellers there, but when I’m also not having to push and shove my way through crowds to get to the fruits and vegetables that have been poked and prodded and bruised by hundreds of others before me.

Here’s what I got . . .

Tomatoes

Tomatoes

Cucumbers

Cucumbers

A couple of the biggest bell peppers Ive ever seen

A couple of the biggest bell peppers I've ever seen

White Squash

White Squash

Small Purple Bell Peppers

Small Purple Bell Peppers

Fairy Tale Eggplant

"Fairy Tale" Eggplant

Gorgeous, Sweet Blackberries!

Gorgeous, Sweet Blackberries!

Now, what I’m going to do with all of these, I’m not sure, but they should make very nice additions to the mains I already have planned for the rest of the week!

What’s the most fun/unusual fruit or veggie you’ve ever bought? What did you do with it?

1. Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:53 pm

Awesome looking finds! You could make an awesome rainbow salad with much of it!

I’ve never had the white squash – are they called “patty-pan”? – before. Let us know how you fix them.

We have a “Farmer’s Market” near us that’s not really a farmer’s market, but an Oriental/Hispanic/American grocery store all combined. They have some mighty odd produce – things I’d never seen before. I’m still working up the nerve to try some of them!

Star fruit is the most unusual I’ve eaten so far – very good.

2. Tuesday, July 28, 2009 3:58 pm

They look DELICIOUS! Farmers Markets are THE BEST. The hard part, for us, anyway, is finding recipes….

3. Sylvia permalink
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:00 pm

Unusual? Hmm….I think my mom has bought brussel sprouts a couple of times. I think she just boiled them and put butter or something on them. None of us were particularly fond of them. We all like most vegetables, though.

4. Judy permalink
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:10 pm

Stuffed bell peppers, eggplant cavatini, stuffed squash, cucumber and tomato salad, blackberries/boysenberries with lite whipped cream or with milk and sugar. Or some of the peppers, eggplant and squash can be sauted with some onion, covered with Ro-Tel (or just green chiles), topped with cheese (or not.) Beautiful picture.

5. Wednesday, July 29, 2009 6:53 am

Oooh, those eggplants have got me craving spaghetti w/ eggplant (recipe from The Pioneer Woman’s website). Looks delicious!

6. Sunday, August 2, 2009 9:04 pm

I love fresh picked blackberries…in pie. That could be why my waistline suffers in summer. Those are some interesting looking peppers too, my dad plants a huge garden every year with pretty much everything imaginable but I’ve never seen those! Do they taste like normal green peppers?