A Sneak Peek at A Case for Love

Monday, July 27, 2009

I’m trying to get some editing work and some writing done today, so I’m drawing a blank in coming up with a blog topic (obviously, since it’s two in the afternoon and I’m just now posting!). Instead, I thought I’d treat you to a scene from A Case for Love. This comes from the second chapter of the book, as the first chapter has a Menu for Romance spoiler in it.

A CASE FOR LOVE
© 2009 by Kaye Dacus

Alaine stared into the camera lens as if she were talking directly to a person instead of a machine. “The publicist for Bonneterre Lifestyles reported that participation in voting for this year’s Most Eligible Bachelors was up more than 200 percent over last year. And they expect the July issue, which hits newsstands Monday, will be the top-selling edition in the magazine’s thirty-five year history.”

Much more so than the June issue, on which Alaine’s photo appeared as the number one old-maid in town.

“Tonight at ten o’clock, I’ll reveal the winner and give you a preview of the magazine’s cover, which will be announced after the dinner feting the twenty-five nominees. Live from the Plantation House restaurant, this is Alaine Delacroix for Channel Six News.” She stood still, smiling, until receiving an all-clear.

Instead of mingling and making small-talk with everyone gathered in the exclusive second-floor dining room of the most expensive restaurant in town, Alaine walked around followed by her cameraman and stuck her microphone in people’s faces, asking them silly questions so she could file a story which no one would remember three days from now.

A frisson of excited whispers in the group near the entrance caught her attention. She turned to find the source, and her jaw almost unhinged. In walked one of the most gorgeous men she’d ever seen—and he looked vaguely familiar. His hair was a cross between brown and auburn, and he looked better in his tuxedo than Fred Astaire ever had. But could he dance like the sliver-screen legend?

“That’s Forbes Guidry.”

“I can’t believe he actually came.”

“He’s been on the list for five years in a row.”

“I heard he drives a Jaguar and lives in one of those fancy townhouses in Old Towne.”

Alaine focused on the last whispered comment from the women behind her. One of those townhouses in Old Towne? Of course! That’s where she recognized him from. They lived in the same community, and she’d seen him out running almost every morning on her way to work.

While she’d toyed with the idea of trying to meet him, she’d never followed through, assuming someone that good looking must be married. She couldn’t believe she hadn’t connected her eye-candy jogger with the infamous Forbes Guidry. He was what her mother would call a “confirmed” bachelor—or, in other words, a hopeless case other women had long-since given up on trying to make settle down.

Which meant he was definitely not the man for her. But to tide her mother over until Mr. Right came along? It was worth a shot.

Alaine turned to motion Nelson over—but he wasn’t behind her. She scanned the room and saw him chatting up the woman who’d been second behind Alaine on the old-maid list. She started toward him, but before she got there, the microphone on the dais at the far end of the room squawked, drawing everyone’s attention.

“Ladies and gentlemen, bachelors and bachelorettes, if you would find your seats, dinner service will begin in just a few minutes.”

Alaine had arranged a seat and meal for Nelson ahead of time, so she sent him to go eat, and went to find her name on one of the tables.

Paying more attention to the place cards than anything else, she gasped and jumped when she stepped on someone’s foot.

“I beg your . . .” Though her four-inch heels brought her up to five foot six, the close proximity to the man forced her to crane her neck to see his face. His gorgeous face—and grayish-blue eyes looking into hers with such intensity, her whole head grew hot.

“No apology necessary, Ms. Delacroix. I believe this is your seat.” Forbes Guidry pulled out the chair he stood behind.

“Thank you.” She sat, hoping he would walk away with no further conversation so she could compose herself before she had to speak with him again.

He pulled out the chair to her left and sat in it. “I’m Forbes Guidry.”

1. Monday, July 27, 2009 5:08 pm

I. Cannot. Wait.

Loved it!

2. Lydia permalink
    Monday, July 27, 2009 5:10 pm

Thank you, thank you for posting this!

3. Shannon permalink
    Monday, July 27, 2009 6:13 pm

What Alexandra said. 😀 I was sooooooooo excited to see the next book is about Forbes … yeah, baby!!!

4. Monday, July 27, 2009 6:44 pm

🙂 Glad y’all like it!

5. Sylvia permalink
    Monday, July 27, 2009 7:57 pm

Whew! Kaye, that was mean!:) How can you dangle that tid-bit in front of our faces when we can’t read the book until next year? Anyway, thank you very much. That was a very interesting, enjoyable, captivating (how many other adjectives can one get in there) read!

One thing I love about your books is that you give each character his own personality. George, Major, and Forbes are nothing alike, but are interesting each in his own way.

By the way. Could you explain one more time how the Anne is related to the Guidrys? Are her mother, Maggie and Mairee sisters or is Anne’s mother a sister to Maggie and Lawson?

• Monday, July 27, 2009 8:46 pm

Anne’s mother, Lily Elaine Guidry-Hawthorne, was the third of the five children of Whittaker (“Papere”) and Lillian (“Mamere”) Guidry:
      Maggie Guidry Babineaux
      Forbes Lawson Guidry
      [Lily Elaine Guidry-Hawthorne]
      Mark Guidry
      Thomas Guidry
      (Mark and Thomas are not mentioned by name in the series.)

So Anne was raised by her mother’s older sister (Maggie) and brother-in-law (Errol).

6. Sylvia permalink
    Monday, July 27, 2009 7:58 pm

Oh, your writing count just went up to 10k while I was writing my previous post. Glad to see progess on Ransome’s Crossing. I can’t wait to read that book too!

7. Tuesday, July 28, 2009 8:44 am

I agree with Sylvia – just plain mean. But nice too at the same time. 🙂

8. Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:13 am

That was so smooth, Kaye. I loved it. Can’t wait to read more.

9. Tuesday, July 28, 2009 9:49 am

Bypassing the excerpt, Kaye, because I’d rather wait until I can read the book from cover to cover. As I surely will. I’m loving the Bonneterre series. I enjoyed Menu for Romance even more than Stand-In Groom so I can only eagerly await A Case for Love. I know you only planned three books but I’m hoping there will be more for this family and community I’ve come to love.

10. pepperbasham permalink
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:20 am

Fantastic excerpt. I’ve always liked Forbes and I KNEW we’d have to see more of Alaine sometime after MFR. Can’t wait to read it.

11. Sylvia permalink
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 10:59 am

Thank you so much for showing us the character pictures. It brings the stories so much more to life when I can envision the people in my head. I have the Flickr album saved in my favorites so I can refer back to it before and while I read the book.

12. Tuesday, July 28, 2009 11:22 am

Love it. I was assuming it was going to be about Henry, not Forbes. But I’m good with Forbes’ story. 🙂

13. Sylvia permalink
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:03 pm

I think we should send a petition to Barbour to make this a four or six book series. Several of us want a story about Jenn. She has a very interesting personality and we cannot leave her. She needs to marry someone that she does not get along with for the majority of the book.

• Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:15 pm

I’m hoping to eventually get back to write Jenn’s book—but truth be told, I’m ready to move on to a new setting, to an entirely new group of characters for my next contemporary series. And I hope, if the new series does get picked up, that y’all will fall in love with those characters as much as the Guidry family!

14. Sunday, August 2, 2009 9:00 pm

Woohooo!!!Forbes is a hottie, Forbes is a hottie! I can’t wait to read about Forbes!!!! Do you think I like Forbes…much?? 😀 Yeah I have a serious problem of developing crushes on fictional characters (Mr. Darcy, Mr. Thornton, Forbes…) Can’t wait to read A Case for Love! Thanks for that tidbit.

15. Janel permalink
    Friday, August 21, 2009 4:43 am

loving Menu for Romance, and so excited to get a little snippet of this one as well. I got my mom hooked on your writing as well. She was just finishing up Stand-in Groom and was asking me desperately if i had Menu for Romance, which i had just bought. she’s gonna finish it before i do. But i’m soo glad to have one of your fabulous books to read again. i was waiting its publishing!
    all the best Kaye. Keep on doing what you do!!!

16. Monday, August 24, 2009 10:51 am

You know I loved the other two books and I was hoping Forbes would find someone for himself. I think he’s such an interesting character; I can’t wait to get to know him better. It is a sort of torture to have to wait all the way until next year though.

Seeing how hard I fell for those two, and the fact that I have a semi-addiction to all Regency era novels, I had to check out Ransome’s Honor. :o) Very nice. There’s something about that whole era… and you captured it beautifully. I’m looking forward to the rest of that series as well.

17. Cindy permalink
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 9:22 am

I am so excited I absolutely love these books! Sure it can’t come out sooner?

18. Barbara Curtis permalink
    Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:22 pm

I’m currently reading Menu for Romance–so was excited to see that the next one is already in progress! I’ll be looking forward to that one as well.

Barbara

19. Audrey permalink
    Sunday, October 18, 2009 8:44 pm

Finally finished Menu For Romance. (The library finally got it in after me requesting them to do so). Loved it!!! Can’t wait for A Case For Love! But I don’t know if I can wait for February!!! LOL