It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year!

Sunday, December 7, 2008

I know, you’re reading this expecting a post about Christmas or the holiday season. Well, this isn’t exactly that post.

In 2006, around this time of year, I entered serious discussions with Chip MacGregor about becoming his client, and signed with him the first week of January. This was somewhat amazing to me because not only was that the first time I’d ever submitted anything (to him and to one other agent whose rejection letter arrived two days before Chip called and asked for a full manuscript), but Chip was more enthusiastic about my story than I was—he had more faith in my ability to tell a story than I did. Which, I’ve realized, is a very good quality in an agent!

However, in the months that followed, as rejection after rejection after rejection rolled in, I began to get anxious, feeling like I was letting him down and that I’d never get published. In September, I met with an editor from Harvest House to discuss a proposal I’d written on spec for them, which she then took to pub board . . . and was subsequently rejected. Again, even as I was working on polishing up the next manuscript to send to Chip, I felt like I’d let him down.

On December 6, 2007, just as I was leaving the office for my lunch hour, Chip called me. Barbour wanted to contract Stand-In Groom, and were possibly interested in a three-book series. My contract for Stand-In Groom is dated December 7, 2007—exactly a year ago today.

After signing the contracts for the two other books in that series in the spring, I started to wonder if anything would ever come from my historical trilogy which was making the rounds. One publishing house said that if I took the “naval stuff” out (the hero is a Royal Navy Captain, and the second book takes place almost solely aboard ship) they might be interested, but most of the rest passed on it. I’d gotten a little interest at one publishing house—had even done some editing and added a prologue (and thus slightly changed the backstory) based on the editor’s request back in April.

Then, on Thursday, November 20, 2008, one week before Thanksgiving, I got a call from Kim Moore, editor at Harvest House and fellow Jane Austen and Horatio Hornblower lover . . .

Harvest House is going to publish the Ransome Trilogy!!!!!

I don’t know any of the specifics yet, but I have heard through the grapevine that they’re looking at possibly releasing the first book, Ransome’s Honor, in Fall 2009. So I could potentially have three books coming out next year!

Naturally, I’ll fill you in as I get more details!

1. Sunday, December 7, 2008 7:44 pm

YES!!! I’m SOOOOOO happy & excited for you!! (Whew…feeling better now that my squeal of joy is out there…LOL!)

2. Sunday, December 7, 2008 7:51 pm

Wow, Kaye! Awesome news and congrats to you. I am looking forward to reading.

3. Sunday, December 7, 2008 7:56 pm

Wooooo-hooooooo!!! What awesome news!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snoopy-dancing for you in Bama!!!!

4. Sunday, December 7, 2008 8:49 pm

Congrats!!! Awesome news and so encouraging since I seem to be following in your footsteps… the agent and rejections, I mean!

5. Sunday, December 7, 2008 9:12 pm

Hoooray!!! That’s AWESOME! 🙂 Super ! 🙂

6. Sunday, December 7, 2008 9:58 pm

Kaye, you are truly an inspiration to us all! Many, many congrats! And this IS a very special time of year for all of this wonderful opportunities to happen for you!!!!

7. Sunday, December 7, 2008 10:18 pm

Congrats, Kaye! How exciting. 😀

8. Sunday, December 7, 2008 11:34 pm

That’s AWESOME!!! Wonder what next Christmas has in store:)

9. Sunday, December 7, 2008 11:48 pm

Movie deal? 🙂

10. Monday, December 8, 2008 7:33 am

^ Yes!!! Is Paul McGann too old? ROFLOL

11. Lori permalink
    Monday, December 8, 2008 9:10 am

I am so excited for you! I have been running off at the mouth about Stand-In Groom to everyone I come in contact with and I will do the same For Ransom! I am declaring myself your “unoffical” PR person! Love ya girl!

12. Monday, December 8, 2008 9:15 am

Kaye, this is awesome news. It’s like things just seem to click and take off for certain writers who persevere. It’s as if God flicks the switch from “Teach them perseverence” to “They’ve passed the test, now they’re ready to fly”.

Such perfect news to read on a Monday morning!! Praise God!

13. Monday, December 8, 2008 9:45 am

Awesome to know that patience can pay off. Congratulations!

14. Monday, December 8, 2008 9:58 am

I just found your post and your good news this morning, so I’m late to the party. But wow, Kaye. This is awesome news. I’m so happy for you! And also, kudos to Chip for all his encouragement and work. I’ve crossed paths with him at conferences, I think it was back before his agenting days, and I’ve always thought very highly of him.

I hope you celebrated yesterday in some special way. You’ve worked hard and now it’s paying off. God is good.

And three books in one year. That’s quite an achievement.

PS: are you still watching Crusoe? Do you like it at all? It’s grown on me. For what it is, it isn’t all that bad. 🙂

15. Monday, December 8, 2008 10:30 am

WOW! Congratulations! I’m SO EXCITED for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That’s so great!!! Three books in one year…that’s so awesome! I’m so jealous. 🙂

16. Monday, December 8, 2008 12:07 pm

@Ruth . . . [sigh], yes at almost 50 years old, dear Paul is definitely too old to portray William on screen (though he’ll forever be William in my mind). But there is always someone like Matthew MacFadyen or James D’Arcy (with blue contact lenses) or James Murray who could, ahem, STAND-IN.

17. Monday, December 8, 2008 12:14 pm

Congratulations Kaye. What astonishing and wonderful news!

When I first came across your blog, I was so happy because you have such a wonderful and sharing vibe and now I can add inspirational to that list, too. 🙂

18. Monday, December 8, 2008 3:39 pm

Congratulations, Kaye!

19. Monday, December 8, 2008 3:56 pm

Congratulations Kaye. What an accomplishment. I look forward to reading all of them! Best of luck.

Cheers, Laurel Ann

20. Monday, December 8, 2008 5:35 pm

Congratulations, that’s wonderful news!

21. Monday, December 8, 2008 6:15 pm

Way to go!! I’m thrilled for you!

22. Gwen Stewart permalink
    Monday, December 8, 2008 6:38 pm

This is excellent news, Kaye! Congratulations! God is so good! 🙂

23. Monday, December 8, 2008 8:25 pm

@Kaye…hmm…I’m liking the James Murray idea. And then if you keep writing Ransome sequels maybe Paul can step in eventually…Ransome as a grandfather. LOL!

24. Monday, December 8, 2008 9:26 pm

Yay! That is really exciting news, Kaye! I admire you for your perseverance through the lllooonnnggg process of waiting to finally get that special phone call! 🙂

25. Tuesday, December 9, 2008 6:17 am

Well done! That is just wonderful, wonderful, wonderful news. Your perseverance and faith has paid off, and in the process you’ve encouraged and inspired ‘newbies’ to the business like me to believe it can happen. My new motto is “Every rejection letter is one step closer to an acceptance” – keeps me going when everything piles up against me!!

26. Tuesday, December 9, 2008 2:34 pm

So sorry – somehow I missed your post here (I was even looking for it this morning!) I am so utterly excited for you! Congratulations!

27. Kim Moore permalink
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:47 am

Kaye and Ruth: How about David Tennant for Will? He might be a smidge older, but I think he would be fabulous. 🙂

Nothing makes an editor happier than calling an auther and saying, “We’d love to publish your book.” Congratulations, Kaye!

28. Thursday, December 18, 2008 12:58 pm