An Easy One for Y’all

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Something that a lot of people like to do on the Fourth of July is play softball. So in that tradition, I’m throwing y’all a “softball” topic to respond to today.

What are your plans for the Fourth of July? If you’re not in the U.S., what’s your take on our Independence Day and all of the excess we go to celebrating our country’s birthday?

1. Caleb permalink
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 2:17 am

Well, I’m certainly not playing softball. I’ve got far more manly things to be doing, like sitting around, watching movies, and sitting around some more. I might follow that up with another movie and may even combine the two or try to mix it up with some “lying around” if I’m feeling especially adventurous. I’ll also be sure to eat a cheeseburger. FOR AMERICA!

How dare you hassle me with a girlie version of an already painfully boring sport. Football should be America’s national past-time. If you have the energy to get up and do something (as I clearly do not – or at least choose not to), you might as well knock other people down to discourage them from having the energy to get up and do something ever again.

2. Thursday, July 3, 2008 7:52 am

Heh. Plans? Clean the house and try to not get aggravated at the neighborhood for setting off fire crackers until 2 am.

I might be going to a picnic, but that is looking incredibly unlikely at this point.

3. Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:21 am

We normally stay home, and have a quiet day, but this year we’re going to a major celebration in the next town to hear our cousin play in the concert band. The event is being held at an amphitheater on a river, we’ll see water-skiers perform before it gets dark, and then after the band plays we get a fireworks show. Picnics are encouraged, so we’re taking in a picnic for dinner – and the best part of it all – it’s FREE!!

@Caleb – Totally agree – FOOTBALL (college) should be the national pasttime. Can’t wait for the season. Roll Tide!

Happy Independence Day, y’all!

P.S. We’re having a “Patriotic” theme for our contest this week over at my blog – http://www.pixnpens.com. Everyone is invited to come over and participate.

4. Thursday, July 3, 2008 8:59 am

We’re going to my brother’s for a cookout. From his deck, we’ll be able to see the fireworks from Worcester. (Properly pronounced with a Boston accent as Wistah) Happy Fourth of July to you!

5. Thursday, July 3, 2008 9:29 am

Cook out, as always! Listen to fireworks (much less impressive that way…).

One year, I was visiting my aunt and we were able to climb on the roof of their porch and watch fireworks from up there–that was awesome! Growing up we used to go to a stadium to watch them. Now, depending on what city in the valley the fireworks are done in, we can sit on our porch or lawn and watch.

6. Thursday, July 3, 2008 9:58 am

Softball is not my thing. Parades, BBQ, and fireworks are more like it.

I don’t have a problem with the celebration because it’s the one day of the year when I feel like Americans focus on our commonalities rather than our differences.

7. Thursday, July 3, 2008 10:58 am

We’ll be staying around the house, eat a nice meal, play a little frisbee…watch Wimbledon. 🙂

8. Thursday, July 3, 2008 11:29 am

Plans: Make it through my brother’s wedding, which might sound easy but is going to be a challenge… (long story)

9. Thursday, July 3, 2008 12:15 pm

@ Tracy–
    Are you trying to get yourself put onto moderated status on this blog? Am I going to have to start editing your comments?

Everyone knows that LSU, THE NATIONAL CHAMPION TEAM, is America’s favorite football team!!

GEAUX TIGERS!!!

10. Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:30 pm

Good grief, I think Caleb wants to win, Kaye. He must get up at like wee hours of the morning JUST to be the first person to post a comment *grin*

We are doing very little tomorrow thank goodness!! I am just plumb worn out. My sis is having a garage sale on saturday, so we’ll clean out our garage some in the morning to get some stuff to take over. That is AFTER of course I make my hubby get up with the kids so I can sleep in!!

I was also THRILLED to find out the little town I am is going to be having their own fireworks show!

I know, I know, Nashville has a pretty good display, but its like a half hour drive for us and then an hour drive home (to get out of the traffic!), and with gas prices, yeah, we are going to relax have a good time, and watch our piddley fireworks show and be happy with it.

My kids are still young, they don’t know the difference!

11. Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:44 pm

Not being American, I’d have to say that the patriotism in your country does seem way above ours.

I think it reminds me a little like Christmas– a whole lot of pomp that can take away from the true meaning, if not careful to remember WHY you’re celebrating. Know what I mean?

Are you going to partake in a ballgame with your parents, Kaye? Around here, the guys like to play football when they all together. It landed one of the brother-in-laws in emerg one year with a hugely disjointed finger–very deformed–not fun. But they played it again the next time they got together, anyway.

12. Thursday, July 3, 2008 1:48 pm

Just read Caleb’s comment. It doesn’t seem to discourage in my experience.

Friends came to mind with the football, I guess I expected that to be big in the U.S. because of that show’s opening. See how much t.v. warps us?

13. Mary Jenkins permalink
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:12 pm

softball sounds great! we’re not doing a thing!

14. Thursday, July 3, 2008 3:32 pm

LOL, Kaye!! Well, I pull for LSU when they’re not playing Bama! That’s a GREAT concession around here!

15. Caleb permalink
    Thursday, July 3, 2008 5:59 pm

Krista, what is this “getting up” you speak of? I don’t remember the last time I went to bed before 4AM. Nothing like college to completely annihilate any remnant you might have of a normal schedule.

Now that I’m graduated, I just hope I’ll be able find a job by at least September. Maybe then “getting up” will have meaning to me again. Now, it’s simply the difference of when I happen to not be sleeping and when I decide I can’t keep my eyes open any longer.

Eilleen, honestly, I don’t understand why baseball is considered our national past-time. The Super Bowl is the most watched program every single year, and maybe it’s just my personal selection of friends, but I don’t know anybody that ACTUALLY enjoys watching baseball, especially if any other sport is an option (football, basketball, hockey – almost anything is a better choice than baseball). Then there’s the issue that I’ve never met a baseball fan that wasn’t solely a fan of either the Red Sox or the Yankees, so I’m really not sure where all the other supposed “fans” come from.

I think baseball’s popularity is just a myth. I hear a lot about it, but I sure never see it. It’s popular to little kids because it’s so simple and everyone is forced to play, but it seems like most people just forget about it as soon as they can. If I had to name a college that supposedly had a good baseball team, I wouldn’t even know what a safe guess was, unlike college basketball and football where a much bigger portion of Americans can probably name at least a couple of the big dogs for the season.

I hate baseball.

16. Nicole (ikkinlala) permalink
    Friday, July 4, 2008 12:24 pm

I’m always a bit surprised at how much more effort Americans put into celebrating the 4th than we Canadians put into celebrating the 1st. I pretty much ignored our holiday a few days ago, and even though there are celebrations in most communities I don’t think I’m especially unusual. Maybe it has to do with us not having had a revolution?

17. Caleb permalink
    Saturday, July 5, 2008 1:46 am

Maybe it has to do with America being ridiculously AWESOME.

18. Sunday, July 6, 2008 7:54 pm

Jay let me *write!*

He basically gave me from nap-time till dinner-time without any expectations. I am *so* jazzed.

Still trying not to think too far ahead. This probably a series– solidly enough content for 2 YA, maybe enough to work up a 3rd part, but that’s less clear and I don’t want to waste brain cells deciding on that one now.

Happy to be *back*!

19. Monday, July 7, 2008 9:18 am

We go to my parents each year with my girls. Then eat and go see fireworks. Personally, I could skip the fireworks and dig into a good book. There is just nothing better then diving into a fictional world. Well, maybe Christmas where I get lots of book presents.