Fun Friday–Harry Potter: My Predictions

Friday, July 20, 2007

fun-friday.jpg

Update July 23: Spoilers are posted in the comments where I have commented on each of the predictions below.

If you don’t have Harry Potter mania by now, I’m sure you’ve gotten good and sick of hearing about it. So I’ll understand if you don’t want to read this post. Please come back on Monday when, I promise, I will not be posting about it.

I’ll be headed down to Barnes & Noble at 7:00 this evening to get my number or get in line or whatever, to get my reserved copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows at midnight. I then plan to stay up all night reading. Actually, I’m posting this late on Thursday night because, even though it means painful withdrawal symptoms, I will be trying to stay offline as much as possible tomorrow, as there are people in many other countries who have already received their copies, and I don’t want to know what happens before I read the book.

Here are my predictions for things that will happen in the seventh and final book in the best-selling fiction series of all time:

• The book will open in the summer and feature the wedding of Bill and Fleur. Harry will have one more chance here to be with Ginny. I believe this is also when he will learn that, for some reason, he really needs to return to school. Because I find it really hard to believe this whole book will take place away from Hogwarts.
  • Sometime in the book—maybe in the summer before or after the wedding, or perhaps on school holiday over Christmas—Harry will visit Godrick’s Hollow, where his parents lived, and find the horcrux that is made out of something belonging to Godrick Gryffindor.
  • Ron and Hermione will be made Head Boy and Head Girl.
  • The “major” character who will die: Neville Longbottom, opening the door of opportunity, somehow, for Harry to kill Voldemort. With his death, the prophecy will be fulfilled. Too big a deal has been made at the end of the fifth and with several references in the sixth books to the fact that the prophecy could have meant either Harry or Neville.
  • Leading to the next obvious prediction: Harry will live.
  • The last horcrux that will be found is the locket. The locket was tossed out of one of the cabinets at the headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix at the beginning of book five when they were trying to clean the place up. Kreacher picked it up and has been hiding it—unless he gave it to Bellatrix Lestrange, which means it is back in the custody of Voldemort. Which I doubt. The note inside the fake locket that Harry and Dumbledore retrieved in book six was signed R.A.B., which I’m sure everyone knows by now is Regulus Black, Sirius’s younger brother; and it’s the reason why Voldemort had Regulus killed (and how the locket ended up in the Black home).
  • It will be proven that Snape was actually “good”—that he was acting on Dumbledore’s orders all the time. That Dumbledore knew he was dying anyway and the most logical thing was to make it look as if his death was actually a victory for Voldemort, not something that was just going to happen anyway. I believe that Dumbledore’s hand not healing from the curse that was on the ring was what made him decide to cook up the scheme with Snape so that Snape could get in good with Voldemort, while all the time working for Voldemort’s downfall. Does it mean I like him? No. But Dumbledore’s unwavering belief in Snape will be vindicated.
  • Snape might actually die protecting Harry. He might even reveal he was in love with Lily Evans. And that he was possibly at Godrick’s Hollow the night the Potters died—had gone to warn them but was too late and had to watch them die.
  • Lupin and Tonks will get engaged or married.
  • Somehow—perhaps with the broken 2-way mirror Sirius gave Harry—Harry will be able to communicate with Sirius. This is what will lead him to Regulus and the real locket.
  • We’re going to find out what it means that Harry has his “mother’s eyes.” So much has been made of this—mentioned in every book. Did she somehow leave an imprint of herself—a good horcrux?—inside of him when she died protecting him? I think we’re going to learn a lot more about Lily Evans and James Potter in this book.
  • Will Harry’s scar disappear when Voldemort dies? Is that why the last word of the book is supposed to be scar?
  • Draco Malfoy will come to Harry for help—to protect his parents from Voldemort or to help Draco get out of the Death Eaters or something. Harry will have to figure out if Draco is being honest and, if he is, if Harry can possibly forgive him.
  • Ron and Hermione will become engaged if not go ahead and get married.
  • Viktor Krum will make another appearance.
  • Lupin will kill Grayback.
  • Slughorn will continue on as Potions Master and head of Slytherin house.
  • But who will be the Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher????
  • In book five, when they were trying all of the doors in the Department of Mysteries, there was one door that was locked. This may become important.
  • We’ll find out exactly how much Aunt Petunia knows about the wizarding world. Maybe the reason she hates Harry so much is that she was secretly in love with James Potter who wouldn’t give her the time of day because she wasn’t a witch?
  • I’ve heard that someone who’s never had a magical ability will suddenly be able to do magic in this book. I originally thought it was going to be Aunt Petunia—but I read somewhere (maybe on Mugglenet.com or JKRowling.com) that it is not Aunt Petunia. Maybe Filch? or Mrs. Figg? or Mrs. Norris the cat?
  • Quiddich—if shown at all—will play a very small part in the book. But Gryffindor will win the house cup thanks to Ron’s goalkeeping, fulfilling the vision of himself Ron saw in the Mirror in book one.
  • Dumbledore is really dead. But through his portrait in the Headmistress’s office (after all, Professor McGonagall is the deputy and next in line), and possibly through his Chocolate Frog Cards (after all, in book five, he makes a point of saying that after the ministry stripped him of many of his responsibilities, the only thing he requested was that they didn’t take him off the Chocolate Frog Cards), he will continue to act as a guide to Harry.

This reminds me a lot of how four little words in a movie “changed the world” twenty-seven years ago, when Darth Vader said “I am your father.” It’s so much fun to live in a time when something like this can happen and remind us that, deep down, we’re all “just folk” (as Mal Reynolds from Firefly would say)—that we’re more alike than we give ourselves credit for. This is a pretty major pop culture event, though, more than just the largest first-run book printing in history (with more than 12 million copies already sold before the book comes out!). It’s a turning point in the collective consciousness of our culture that no other piece of fiction—not even Star Wars—has had on our society.

Just goes to show the power of good storytelling.

1. Friday, July 20, 2007 8:43 am

Love these predictions.

Agree w/ most, but a couple (the broken mirror communicating with the dead & A. Petunia having anything to do with magic) would require a breach in the stories’ logic.

But that’s possible too.

You’ve already mentioned (and I’ve said this for years– she said snootily) that Rowling’s strength isn’t her “craft.”

Are you familiar with the Charlie Bone books?

Their largest drawback is that there’s no way they can’t look like a HP knock-off, but (and I’ve only read the first so far) I think they’re better-written and (the first at least) much more age-appropriate for the target audience.

I’ve got the next couple on reserve at our local library and I’m surprisingly nervous to learn how the series goes on, quality-wise.

2. Friday, July 20, 2007 3:35 pm

You’ve really read the HP series. I remembered so many things just from your predictions.

I don’t think Snape is bad or that Dumbledore is really dead. Not sure whether Harry will hook up with Ginny. (I’m still holding out for Harry and Hermione, which would cause Ron to do something stupid, which just might get him killed.) Definitely Harry, not Neville, will live.

3. Saturday, July 21, 2007 10:35 am

HAven’t read any of the books yet. I will eventually, but not anytime in the near future.

Somehow (even as a children’s writer) I never got into the HP Fanatics. It’s not that the idea doesn’t fascinate me, it does, I just haven’t had a burning desire to read them yet.

😀

4. Saturday, July 21, 2007 11:04 am

Jennifer–
    As a children’s writer, maybe it’s better that you haven’t read them—that way there’s no way the stories will get into your subconscious and influence you against your will.

5. Monday, July 23, 2007 3:30 pm

Spoiler Alert!

Here are where my predictions were right and wrong:
    …open in the summer and feature the wedding of Bill and Fleur. Harry will have one more chance here to be with Ginny. . . . he learns that he really needs to return to school. . . .

Okay, so the book did open during the summer–with Harry’s leaving the Dursleys’ for the last time. The attack on them as they’re leaving the house really took me by surprise and let me know this book was going to be totally different than any of the others. Harry did not find out he needed to go back to Hogwarts and most of the novel did take place away from the school. Harry did hook up with Ginny for a major kissing scene while at The Burrow for the wedding.

Sometime in the book . . .Harry will visit Godrick’s Hollow, where his parents lived, and find the horcrux that is made out of something belonging to Godrick Gryffindor.

Harry and Hermione did visit Godrick’s Hollow, but not to find a horcrux. There they found the symbol of the Deathly Hallows as well as the picture of Grindewald, who’d stolen the Elder Wand. And they were attacked by Voldemort in a surprising twist.

Ron and Hermione will be made Head Boy and Head Girl.

Didn’t happen as they didn’t go back to school.

The “major” character who will die: Neville Longbottom, opening the door of opportunity, somehow, for Harry to kill Voldemort. . . .

I can’t tell you how happy I was to be wrong about this prediction. Neville really came into his own in this book in a way he’s started doing in the films but not in the previous books. And for him to be the one to pull the sword out of the Sorting Hat and kill the snake with it was just priceless.

Leading to the next obvious prediction: Harry will live.

Yes, Harry lived.

The last horcrux that will be found is the locket. The locket was tossed out of one of the cabinets . . . Kreacher picked it up and has been hiding it . . . The note inside the fake locket that . . . was signed R.A.B., which . . . is Regulus Black . . .

Right on all counts except its being the last one they found, as it was the first.

It will be proven that Snape was . . . acting on Dumbledore’s orders . . . Dumbledore knew he was dying . . . Dumbledore’s hand not healing from the curse . . . made him decide to cook up the scheme with Snape . . . Dumbledore’s unwavering belief in Snape will be vindicated.

Right again.

He sort-of died protecting Harry. He was trying to get back to Harry to let him know about Harry’s being a horcrux and needing to die to kill Voldemort. In the memory Harry receives as Snape is dying, Harry does learn that Snape was in love with Lily and the only reason Snape protected Harry is because Harry was Lily’s son. But I still don’t see how thirty minutes of memories would make up for sixteen years of ill-treatment and lead Harry to name his son Severus, even if it is just the kid’s middle name.

Lupin and Tonks will get engaged or married.

I’m getting a lump in my throat just thinking about them. I was sure that even if Lupin died, Tonks would be okay. Or the other way around. The one thing I was disappointed with was that JKR didn’t make a point of Harry’s raising Teddy himself, because of seeing himself and his own situation as a baby in Teddy.

Okay, so not quite–it was Aberforth and not someone dead who was keeping an eye on Harry through the mirror. But it was important.

We’re going to find out what it means that Harry has his “mother’s eyes.” … I think we’re going to learn a lot more about Lily Evans and James Potter in this book.

We learned a lot more about Lily’s childhood through Snape’s memory, but I guess the importance of Harry’s having her eyes is just that they reminded Snape of Lily. Didn’t really learn anything more about James.

I’m now guessing that the “last word will be scar” was just a rumor.

Draco Malfoy will come to Harry for help. . . if Harry can possibly forgive him.

Though Draco didn’t actually ask for help, he did need Harry’s help to escape the cursed fire, and Harry willingly helped him.

Ron and Hermione will become engaged if not go ahead and get married.

Yes, if you’re counting the epilogue.

Viktor Krum will make another appearance.

It was good to see him at the wedding, but I thought he’d have a bigger role in the story.

Lupin will kill Grayback.

Sadly, no.

Slughorn will continue on as Potions Master and head of Slytherin house.

Yes, not that it really mattered in the grand scheme of things.

But who will be the Defense Against the Dark Arts Teacher????

Never expected Voldemort would overtake the school so easily and put Death Eaters in key leadership positions.

In book five, when they were trying all of the doors in the Department of Mysteries, there was one door that was locked. This may become important.

Never found out anything more about this.

Very interesting to find out that not only did Petunia (and Lily) know Snape as children, but she wrote a letter requesting to get into Hogwarts herself. No wonder she’s so bitter about it.

I’ve heard that someone who’s never had a magical ability will suddenly be able to do magic in this book. . . .

Maybe I was reading too fast, but I never found this.

No Quiddich at all. Just a couple of references to it.

Dumbledore is really dead.

But through his portrait in the Headmistress’s office (after all, Professor McGonagall is the deputy and next in line), and possibly through his Chocolate Frog Cards . . . he will continue to act as a guide to Harry.

Well, Dumbledore did continue to act as a guide through his portrait in his old office, but it was to continue to guide Snape, who became headmaster, rather than Harry.

Biggest shock of the book: the deaths of Fred, Lupin, and Tonks.

Best line of the book: Mrs. Weasley–“NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!”

Best character transformation: Kreacher–especially when he leads the house elves in the charge during the last battle.

6. Monday, July 23, 2007 7:57 pm

Totally agree with you about Mrs. Weasley. I think I actually “wooHOO’d” out loud when she lit out after Bellatrix! LOL

7. Tuesday, July 24, 2007 1:21 am

Love reading spoilers– Somehow they make me feel safer/more willing to invest all this time in a book.

Thanks for these. 😉