Fun Friday–Best On-Screen Kisses

Friday, June 15, 2007

fun-friday.jpg

Okay, I swiped this idea from my friend Ruth. This was a hard list to come up with, because there are so many good scenes from movies or TV shows I don’t have on DVD. So, these are all screen captures from DVDs out of my collection at home. To see the image, click on the names and it should open in a new window. For more information on the movies, you can look them up on www.imdb.com.

1. Frederick and Anne from 1995’s Persuasion. After eight and a half years of separation, due to her godmother’s persuading Anne to break their engagement, when Anne and Frederick finally admit they’re still in love, they bring eight years of longing into this one kiss. But it’s the slow build-up to it that makes it even more superb.

2. Aragorn and Arwen from Return of the King. Really don’t think I need to explain this one.

3. John and Margaret in North & South. Aside from the fact that I can totally understand why, in the early 19th century, men were not supposed to appear in their shirt-sleeves in front of women as it was too tantalizing (it was considered the equivalent of being seen in one’s underwear), the transformation in these two characters and the development of their relationship from mutual loathing (but still finding each other attractive) to the passion of being free to admit they love each other is what makes this kiss so spectacular. Plus, a lot of my favorite BBC movies are really stingy with the kisses.

Here’s a music montage from the film, too:

4. Navarre and Isabeau in Ladyhawke. Navarre and Isabeau were cursed for loving each other—Navarre becomes a wolf by night while Isabeau becomes a hawk by day. Forever together, yet always separated. Therefore, when the curse is lifted, their reunion at the end is amazing.

5. Han and Leia in The Empire Strikes Back.
Princess Leia: I happen to like nice men!
Han Solo: I’m nice men . . .
Princess Leia: No you’re not, you’re . . .

6. Alexandra and Carl from O Pioneers! There is something about the first kiss of people who have been separated from each other for a long time . . . and those who find romance later in life.

7. Benedick and Beatrice, Shakespeare’s other warring couple (similar to Kate and Petruchio from Taming of the Shrew) from Much Ado About Nothing (brought magnificently to the screen by Kenneth Branagh, who stars as Benedict, too.) After “hating” each other for years, these two are tricked into thinking the other really likes them (which, really, is all they’ve been waiting for). The tension between these two has been building for a long time, giving a great resolution in the kiss.
Update 6/16/07: Last night, I watched another version of this on film, with Sir Robert Lindsay and Cherie Lunghi in the roles of Benedick and Beatrice, and I must say, I enjoy these two actors even more in these roles. And, in this version, their first kiss is held off until the very end, which makes it even sweeter. Click the slider forward to 4:30 in this video clip:

8. Jo and Professor Bhaer in Little Women. Maybe it’s just because of the perfection of the scene in the book. But the “under the umbrella” scene between Jo and Mr. Bhaer (“My hands are empty.” “Not empty now”), is always perfection.

9. Tracy and Dexter from The Philadelphia Story. Kate and Cary, Cary and Kate. Any way you put it, these two are always magical together. Of course, this is kind of cheating, because they really don’t kiss in the movie, there’s a “photo” of it, and it’s not one of the most attractive kisses. But it’s my favorite movie, so I had to include it. But the lack of a good shot of them kissing is why it’s number nine.

10. Jadzia and Worf from their wedding on Deep Space Nine. These were my two favorite characters out of any in the entire Star Trek compendium. Their romance was explosive, sometimes violent, and always very sweet. (Please forgive the quality of the images—it’s from a DVD made from an old video tape recorded from broadcast TV.)

Honorable Mentions—Near Kisses
I couldn’t do a topic like this without including some I wish were kisses or which were great non-kissing scenes . . .

11. Faramir and Eowyn from the extended version of Return of the King. I was never able to read the books all the way through, but the chapter where this scene falls (“The Steward and the King”) is one that I’ve read over and over and over and over. The romance between these two characters is so sweet, and I was nearly brought to tears when I saw it the first time in the extended cut.

12. Darcy and Elizabeth in the 2005 version of Pride and Prejudice. Yes, I know they do actually kiss later (and it’s pretty good, too), but never before, in any other version of the film, have I been on the edge of my seat straining to see if Darcy is actually going to kiss Elizabeth during the proposal scene. Matthew MacFadyen did a fabulous job in this scene!

13. Joe Bradley and Princess Ann in Roman Holiday. I have a love-hate relationship with this movie. I love the chemistry between Gregory Peck and Audrey Hepburn. I love the romantic tension between the two of them. I hate that it doesn’t end the way I want it to. And yet I keep watching it time and again hoping that this time it’ll be different. But it never is. Even though they do kiss in the movie, I’ve put it under “near kisses” simply because of the way the movie ends:

14. Captain von Trapp and Maria at the ball when the captain comes out and sees Maria trying to teach Kurt the Laendler. This is my favorite scene in the movie and one that I can watch over and over and over and over . . .

1. Friday, June 15, 2007 12:10 pm

I saw a similar list years ago, and the Superman/Lois Lane “forget” kiss from Superman II was high on the list as well.

2. Friday, June 15, 2007 12:15 pm

^ Oh now this is very cool…great link!

This is quite possibly your most awesome, fabulous “Fun Friday” post EVER. My current favorite, anyway. I knew you’d “take the bait” and post a list. 😉 LOL

I will have to try to post a list of my own this weekend. But it’ll be boring because I don’t know how to do screen captures…don’t think I even can (?). Yes, I’m not afraid to admit that I can be quite technologically backward. 😛

Seriously could I save your photo collage from North & South and post it on my blog? I’ll credit you of course. ‘Cause that’s just beautiful. 🙂

3. Friday, June 15, 2007 12:25 pm

Of course you can use the images on your blog!

4. Friday, June 15, 2007 12:32 pm

Oh, and about doing screen captures—you have to have the right DVD software on the computer that includes a “Capture” command (I use PowerDVD). I then paste the images over into PicturePublisher (a Photoshop-esque program for the PC) where they can be cropped, adjusted for width/height (sometimes screen caps make the people long and thin or short and squat), color adjusted, etc. And, that’s how I was able to put six caps on one image.

Ah . . . I love living in the digital age!

Of course, if you can’t do screen caps, you can always do a Google Image search. Maybe someone else has captured it and posted it on their site.

5. Friday, June 15, 2007 12:46 pm

^ Thanks, Kaye! 🙂

Meant to add this — you are right on regarding the “near kiss” from the 2005 Pride & Prejudice. I don’t think I breathed during that entire scene. The thought of “will he or won’t he kiss her” was running through my head at a furious pace!

6. Friday, June 15, 2007 12:47 pm

Just saw your other comment…I don’t even know what DVD software is on my computer at home, I’ll have to check that out. Thanks!

7. Friday, June 15, 2007 4:24 pm

For the “not-quite” catigory I’d like to nominate the hand-holding scene in the latest Jane Erye (2005).

It’s the only one I’ve seen so far and now I’m itchingly curious abut how previous versions portrayed the scene– right after Jane save’s Rochester’s life.

8. Caleb Abel permalink
    Friday, June 15, 2007 11:18 pm

I feel so young. I don’t think I’ve even seen half of those, but I’m happy Han and Leia made the list as well as Arwyn and Aragorn. Aragorn’s a popular “list” guy today.

9. Saturday, June 16, 2007 7:11 pm

The Navarre and Isabeau kiss…THUD…that was me hitting the floor. 🙂

A great screen kiss is Rick and Evie at the end of The Mummy.

The greatest screen kiss of all time in my not so humble opinion? John Wayne and Maureen O’Hara in the church ruins in the rain in The Quiet Man. That silk shirt….swoon…THUD!

• Saturday, August 8, 2009 12:32 am

Love, love, love Ladyhawke. That last scene has me balling every time.

And North and South, of course…I was ready to forgive even so gross an error as Thornton in his shirtsleeves since the scene was so amazing. When he touches her hand chills just go up and down my spine!!!

P&P and Sound of Music…love those scenes.

10. Saturday, June 16, 2007 7:55 pm

You know, I almost included Rick and Evie as a Near-Kiss entry–for the “drunk” scene when they first arrive at Hamunaptra, when she passes out before he can kiss her.

I also like it when he grabs her through the prison bars and kisses her near the beginning of the film.

But for me, the Mummy movies are all about Ardeth Bey (Oded Fehr).

11. Saturday, June 16, 2007 8:47 pm

OH. MY. WORD. I so have to see the Robert Lindsay version of Much Ado now. *swoon*

I want to see the Sound of Music now…haven’t watched that in AGES. The scene you reference is one of my favorites.

12. Rachel permalink
    Saturday, August 11, 2007 6:23 pm

What about the kiss between Jim and Jessica in Man from Snowy River… on the horse after he’s saved her, looking out over the Mountains…

13. Ann-Margret permalink
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:30 pm

Where is Jane Eyre? Where is the Jane Eyre / Mr. Rochester kiss (or should I say kisses) so deliciously performed by Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens???????

Oh. Your post was written before that movie came out. Okay, you’re forgiven. 😉

14. Tuesday, March 24, 2009 9:53 pm

Alas, it’s not a matter of timing as to when the film came out (as there are multiple versions, but the one to which you refer came out in 2006), I’m just not a big fan of the Jane Eyre story, so no matter how good the kiss was, it wasn’t going to do much for me.

15. Tuesday, March 24, 2009 10:00 pm

Hee hee, okay! You’re right, though: It was 2006. I got the years mixed up. I know that Jane Eyre is a bit depressing or dark compared to Jane Austen’s books and, therefore, not quite as loved.

Yikes, I’m mussing up your blog with comments all over the place. Sorry! Well, at least you know someone’s enjoying it. 😀

16. Rebecca permalink
    Friday, April 24, 2009 11:57 am

Ya, during the 2005 Pride and prejudice I always wondered what her parents must be thinking. because seriously, they were both out (most of the night) neither were wearing proper attire, and when they go to her house are the break of dawn, he asks her parents for her hand. In that day and age, there is only one reason why he would do that at that moment. I cant imagine the heart attack her parents were having.

17. Tuesday, November 2, 2010 8:07 am

*gasps*
    YOU FORGOT “FIRST KNIGHT!” Lancelot and Guinevere!!

Trackbacks

1. Nashville is Talking » Best On Screen Kisses
  2. Fun Friday–Best On-Screen Kisses Revisited « Kaye Dacus’s Write Place, Write Time
  3. Fun Friday–Pride & Prejudice (Part 1) « KayeDacus.com