Annual Austen Poll!

Saturday, January 6, 2018

In 2014, I started a tradition of re-reading one of Jane Austen’s novels. Since then, I’ve re-read Persuasion (twice), Mansfield Park, and Sense & Sensibility. It’s now time for me to start thinking about which JA novel I’m going to re-read this year—and I thought I’d let you all help me decide!

Vote for the Austen novel you think I should read for this year’s Annual Austen—and maybe we can do a read-along!

If you’d like to make a case for the book of your choice—and/or if you’re interested in doing this as a scheduled read-along—please leave a comment below. 😀

1. Carol permalink
    Sunday, January 7, 2018 9:12 am

I hesitate to admit, especially to you, that I have never read any of Austen’s novels… *slinking away like a guilty puppy*…

• Sunday, January 7, 2018 1:28 pm

For my thoughts on people who don’t enjoy Austen’s novels, check out this post: https://kayedacus.com/2010/12/16/costume-drama-thursday-thought-provoker/

Liked by 1 person

• Carol permalink
        Sunday, January 7, 2018 6:07 pm

So, which of her works would you recommend I try first? I would like to give her work a shot.

• Sunday, January 7, 2018 6:17 pm

Persuasion is my favorite, though Northanger Abbey might be a little more up your alley—it’s a satirical take on the Gothic fiction that was all the rage during Jane Austen’s time (Ann Radcliffe’s The Mysteries of Udolpho, to be specific).

But as I mentioned in that post, you might find it easier to get into JA’s works by using the movies as an entry point. The 2007 version of Northanger Abbey (starring Felicity Jones and JJ Feild) is a really good adaptation. And the 1995 version of Persuasion with Ciaran Hinds and Amanda Root is the definitive version (don’t watch the 2007 version—they did a hatchet job on it!).

Liked by 1 person

• Carol permalink
          Sunday, January 7, 2018 6:18 pm

I’ll check out Northanger Abbey. Thanks!!

2. Lisa permalink
    Sunday, January 7, 2018 7:26 pm

I love JA. P&P is my favorite, but I’ll reread any of them with you.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )