Writer-Talk Tuesday: Cover Examples I Used for FOLLOW THE HEART

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Thanks for all of your help and suggestions last week. While I didn’t use all of them, some of them did lead me to some books I might not otherwise have seen . . . and I already had a few I wanted to use for possible inspiration. So here are the “Sample Covers to Consider” I submitted to B&H. Now the waiting begins! 😉

My editor and I discussed the idea that we’d like to see a cover in which the heroine (Kate) and the two men she must choose between (Andrew and Lord Thynne) appear on the cover. So I sent this one with a suggestion that maybe it could be something like this with the “other” man looking on in the background (as happens in at least one scene in the book!).

I really prefer the idea of an image with the heroine’s back to the “camera.”

Another “back to camera” cover. Just imagine something like this with
an English garden or the Crystal Palace in the background!

Or something like this with the image of her in the costume above and the Crystal Palace below.

These covers caught my attention some time ago, so I had to include them,
just for something different.

I love the atmosphere created by this cover—and the iconic image in the background.

This is a photo, not a book cover; but, like Bergren’s cover above,
I love the atmosphere created by this image.

LIH has done a fantastic job evoking both the historical era and the feel of a romance novel with their recent covers, and these were my three favorites.

1. debraemarvin permalink
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 1:50 am

Beautiful choices! I loved Elizabeth Camden’s cover ( though she looks a bit too thin!) Loved the Putney cover especially.

2. Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:08 am

Love all the choices! It’s wonderful you get to have so much input with your cover. I understand some publishing houses are not quite as accepting of author’s ideas. Can’t wait to see the final. Thanks for sharing.

3. Tuesday, May 22, 2012 8:55 am

I’ll be meeting with my editor again in June, and she’ll be bringing the marketing person along so that we can discuss covers and marketing and giveaways and promotions, etc. It’s so much fun to be working with a publishing company located right here in Nashville!

4. Regina permalink
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 9:50 am

I love a cover that references a specific point in the story. You may not realize it when you pick it up, but when you GET to that point, it’s such a great “aha!” moment! That’s what I loved about Tamera’s “A Lasting Impression” cover. She describes the dress in detail, and when you get there, you realize it’s a departure for that character – at least in the eyes of the hero!

5. Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:34 pm

I like Glamorous Illusions or the Countess King type covers with the expo scene on the cover too.

6. Tuesday, May 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Putney’s cover is the one that caught my eye. Bergren’s cover has an air of mystery to it. Both are ones that would make me pick up the book, although, I lean toward the first one more.

7. Jane Squires permalink
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 2:34 am

Great Choices – I have read all the author’s books but SusanScott and Mary Moore.