A Thoughtful Thursday Challenge

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Perform a Random Act

of Kindness Today

Then come back here and tell us about it.

1. A foolish one permalink
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 1:11 pm

Not only today, but every morning I take the daily paper to my neighbor’s front door and hang it on the door knob. That includes the previous day’s mail. She is elderly, a widow and home bound. We’ve been neighbors for 45 years. Her son lives out of town and her local daughter ignores her as much as possible.
    Benefits? I get daily exercise going up and down her front steps. She prays for me and my family. When her son visits he brings my paper to the door.
    Occasionally I take her a home-cooked meal, especially on holidays. Hang presents on her door for Easter, and Christmas.
    This is no a random act of kindness and sometimes I don’t really feel like going up those steps; I’m old too. But I hate to see her neglected.
    Her voice is weak and whenever she phones she always tells me “I love you,” as she hangs up.

2. Thursday, March 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Hoping you will soon find out what mine is! MUAHAHAHAHA! :0)

3. Regina permalink
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 3:03 pm

I’m going to try this again . . ..

About 30 minutes ago, I forgave a $36.00 library fine for a young woman. She had accrued this fine five years ago, with children’s books,and honestly, I don’t think she’s been in, since. I hope that by doing this, we will have established some trust, and that she will bring her children to the library more frequently, and will come to our summer children’s programs.

Not a big thing, but sometimes a little gesture makes a big impact.

4. Carol permalink
    Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:05 pm

We just spent the week helping my father-in-law at his ranch. He’s recovering from radiation and chemo for colon cancer, and we were happy to spend our spring break helping when my brolaw, who lives at the ranch, had to be out of town on business. Maybe not completely random, but I feel it was an act of kindness. Too many families fail to treat each other kindly these days – I hope my kids can hold on to this example when they’re older.

5. ausjenny permalink
    Friday, March 23, 2012 4:17 am

I took some cookies I baked for a family who’s son died recently in tragic circumstances.
    I also am now holding a fridge full of beef for the neighbours whos fridge is full.

6. JamaGenie permalink
    Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:38 pm

Well, for the truly random, I opened the door for a twenty-something couple the other day at the library.

Ongoing kindness, however, would be what I do for an elderly friend who lives in another state. She’s 86-going-on-30 and legally blind, but age hasn’t dampened her desire to know **everything**. She listens to a never-ending supply of audio books and a volunteer reader comes once a week to read a print book to her. She also recommends books to me I wouldn’t have known about otherwise…really great books, on a variety of subjects. But devouring books doesn’t satisfy her craving for Knowledge – the capital “K” is intentional – and her diminished eyesight prevents her from surfing the internet (she does have software that allows her to email!), so I’m her personal look-up person.

If the request is by phone, she’ll say “What do you know about such-and-such?”. It’s usually something I know little or nothing about, so I’ll reply “Nothing (or not much)…but I have a feeling that’s about to change”, and it does! Or she’ll say “I remember a line of a poem but not the name of it, or the rest”. Whether the request is by phone or email, that’s my cue to get on the internet and find everything I can on the subject (or hunt down the poem), then copy-paste it into an email. (Her talking email is hopeless on web pages.)

Actually, I can’t say the kindness is one-sided. The woman has definitely expanded MY world, which was pretty broad to begin with. I also have an insatiable curiosity and only hope IF…God forbid…I lose most or all of my eyesight later on, I’ll have someone look things up for me!