Fun Friday–Have You Started Your Christmas Shopping Yet?

Friday, November 11, 2011

It’s that time of year—time to start thinking about who’s on your list and what you’re going to get for them.

Did you know that you can purchase signed copies of my books, personalized to the gift recipient, straight from me? Yep, that’s right! You can order one, three, six, or even all nine of my novels though me, pay via PayPal, and I’ll sign and mail them to you (sorry, I don’t offer gift wrapping).

This weekend, I’ll put up a new page (the link will be at the top with the other page links) with all of the pricing and ordering information (and I’ll post on Twitter and my Facebook Page that it’s up).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now that the advertisement part of the post is over, let’s get on to the “fun” part of this post . . .

Have you started your Christmas shopping yet?
I like to have my actual go-to-the-store shopping finished before Thanksgiving . . . and that deadline is looming ever nearer, and this year it’s even more important as I’m once again doing “Gift a Day” presents for my niece and nephews—they’ll have something to open every day in December until Christmas Day. I have about 1/3 of the gifts purchased, but now that Halloween stuff is down and all the Christmas stuff is up in every store, I need to go finish that. After Thanksgiving, pretty much the only shopping I do is online.

When do you put your tree/decorations up?
For many years, I had to work the day after Thanksgiving (well . . . I chose not to take it off as a vacation day, because at that time, none of my family lived close enough for me to visit for a long weekend—and it meant more vacation days I could take at Christmas, plus it gave me leverage with those who really wanted to take that Friday off). So since I was home by myself on Thanksgiving Day, that was when I always put up my Christmas decorations which, for most of the last fifteen years didn’t consist of much. I did get a small, pre-lit tree a few years ago, but it’s almost more trouble to put up than it’s worth, seeing as how I pretty much have to re-arrange my entire living room to find a place for it. Now that I do travel to Arkansas to have Thanksgiving with my parents every year, I try to decorate before I leave, but wait to turn the exterior lights on until after I get home. Here’s a picture from two years ago (since I broke my ankle on Nov. 4 and wasn’t home last year to do it):

I did all white lights a couple of years, then did multicolored lights. Then, two years ago (the picture above), I managed to get my hands on the last two boxes of purple lights at Target the week before Thanksgiving. This year, I thought ahead and bought two more boxes of purple lights a couple of weeks ago. So this year, all the strings of lights illuminating my porch will be purple! I also put red velvet ribbons and gold garland on the mailbox stand, just to add to the festiveness. I also have a wreath decorated with white poinsettias that I hang on the front door—though in recent years, one of my publishers has sent me a “real” wreath (i.e., not plastic), which I’ve hung instead (and that was pretty much the only decorating we did last year for Christmas at my parents’ house—we hung the wreath from my publisher on Mom and Dad’s front door).

What do you want for Christmas?
Come on, now, be honest and be greedy! If you still had that childlike belief in Santa, believing that you could ask for the stars, moon, and rainbows, too—and get it—what would you ask for? Be as selfish as you want to be—I want to know what you want, not what you want for others! Dream big (dream expensive)!

I want . . .
. . . a membership in the “We will cook you a full steak dinner and bring it to your house” of the Month Club
. . . massively high dollar-amount gift cards to Starbucks, DSW Shoe Warehouse, and Amazon
. . . jewelry—amethysts, sapphires, and emeralds in rings, earrings, and necklaces/pendants (can’t wear bracelets because I’m on the computer so much)
. . . and a month-long, all-expenses paid trip to England

1. Friday, November 11, 2011 4:07 am

Have I started my christmas shopping yes I tend to buy all through the year. I was just looking yesterday at the things I have to see what I need to get. I always do some cooking of cookies etc for gifts. I have to arrange gifts for mum too so we are going to give a charity gift to a few people from mum ($30 will help a child in Kenya go to preschool for a year) I still have a nephew to think about but he loves chocolate so am thinking he will get some of that. This year money is tighter until I can find a job.

When do I put up my decorations I normally start Dec one. I dont have lights on the house. I have an artificial tree. I do have a wreath which my penpal sent me.

What do I want for Christmas Well I want to go to Melbourne and the boxing day test so an all expenses paid vacation for the hotel, transport etc.

Stargate universe season 2 dvd set

A new dvd recorder and player with a digital high definition set top box in it. (now we have some extra digital channels and home are only HIgh def which my current settop box doesn’t pick up.

2. Misty permalink
    Friday, November 11, 2011 6:53 am

I just started Christmas shopping last Saturday and that was by accident. My mother bought something for my grandma then remembered she already had my grandma’s gift so I bought the recent purchase from my mom and TA DA, Christmas shopping commenced! haha. Seriously, I’m ususally almost finished by now, but that might of been because we lived in NY and I had to get everything in the mail to OK. This year we are in AR and will be with our family at Christmas for the first time in 11 years. Now that’s a great Christmas gift! I REALLY need to get busy with the shopping. YIKES!!

I go through decorating highs and lows, some years I do more than others. This will probably be a less year. I love my tree, it’s a tall, narrow prelit (I think our three cats would demolish a live tree), it’s completely decorated with crocheted snowflakes my grandma made and snowman ornaments I’ve collected over the years, a tradition my husband started our first year of marriage.

I would like a house for Christmas. Haha! I would just like to be settled somewhere and know we aren’t going to be moving the next year. My dream gift would be a trip to Australia/ New Zealand for two weeks or longer, preferably in January to spend a week in Melbourne at the Australian Open (tennis) and then off to tour the Lord of the Rings filming sites. FUN!

3. Friday, November 11, 2011 7:43 am

Yes, I’ve started Christmas shopping. Though the budget is small so I’m almost done. Amen to the expense paid trip to England for a month! I’ll take one of those too please. And a free maid for a year (merry Maids would be appropriate) and a free nanny for a year plus free babysitting so my hubby & I could have a date night (we haven’t had a date in 11 months). That would be heavenly!

4. Friday, November 11, 2011 11:22 am

I actually bought a few Christmas gifts in September, I think! Saw some really cute “Hello Kitty” jammies for my big girls, on sale, and bought them! (Thanks for asking – I probably would have forgotten I had them! LOL) As for other gifts, I have started a private “wish list” of stuff on Amazon for other people.

We usually decorate the weekend after Thanksgiving. Sometimes we have Thanksgiving at our house, so Black Friday, instead of shopping, is the “dragging all the decorations out of the basement” day. I like to do it when both girls are home, so I can stick them with putting ornaments on the tree. 😀

What do I want? Well, besides a contract . . . 😉 . . . I want a new Crock-Pot – the kind with the clamps on the lid so that it won’t spill when you transport stuff. And I could certainly go for a gift card from DSW, as well. I hope the new Opry Mills has an amazing shoe store like they used to have. LOVED that place.I still have nightmares of all those beautiful shoes floating . . .

5. Rachel Wilder permalink
    Friday, November 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Yes, I’ve started my shopping and already bought what I need from stores. I have friends and family who are hard to buy for so 98% of my shopping is done online.

Hmm…. anything I want? A month long, all expenses paid trip to Russia with the bulk of it spent in St. Petersburg. Preferably in the spring. I don’t think my body would handle White Nights very well.

$500 to spend on cross stitch stuff, another $1,000 at least to spend in a bookstore. And the Edwardian daybed from Victorian Trading Company.

6. Friday, November 11, 2011 5:52 pm

Yes, I buy Christmas gifts throughout the year, so I have a lot done (not as much as I wish I did though!).

Your niece and nephew are lucky! We’re actually doing something similar for our kids this year, only we’re giving them a little gift on each day of the twelve days of Christmas (from Christmas Day till Epiphany). I’m having a lot of fun picking up little things here and there for that.

In keeping with celebrating Advent, we usually don’t put up our Christmas decorations till very close to Christmas Day itself, so that they’re not up during Advent. I like it, because then they’re not old and unexciting and clutter-y during December, and they feel really celebratory for the shorter time we have them up.

But we put up our Nativity set early, w/o the baby Jesus figure, and then add it in on Christmas itself. And we keep the three kings out of it until Twelfth Night (or Epiphany, or King’s Day, or whatever you want to call it). This year I want to put them elsewhere in the house, so they can be “journeying” towards Bethlehem. 🙂

7. Lady DragonKeeper permalink
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 1:24 am

Ooh, I’ve got to start finding things for Christmas –I’ve got some things for my family, but I have a couple of Christmas and birthday gifts to find (two of my siblings have November birthdays).

My family usually decorates sometime after Thanksgiving and before Christmas … early December.

I “third” or “fourth” the expense paid trip to England! =P How about Santa giving me enough credits to graduate (debt free would be great too). 😀

My real life wish is a Samsung Galaxy 5 MP3 Player –“5 inch” touch-screen, wifi access …. and it’s not Apple, which means it’s not as expensive so maybe my parents would consider helping me pay for it as a Christmas/birthday gift … but we’ll see.

8. Saturday, November 12, 2011 10:06 pm

I have started my shopping, but not purposely. I was a fall festival a couple weeks back and found some gifts for my sisters, so I decided to get them. After all, the festival is gone now…

As for what I want, unlimited money. LOL. You did say anything. 😉

9. Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:47 pm

Ha! I wish I had my Christmas shopping done – unfortunately, I think I am more behind this year than last. =( Hopefully next week and this, I’ll get some some things checked off the list… I am not one of those shoppers that goes out on Black Friday though – if I do any shopping it is at home in my pajamas. =D

Christmas tree always comes down the weekend of Thanksgiving. It doesn’t always get decorated that same weekend, but within a week of Thanksgiving, it is all decked out for the holidays! =)