Fun Friday–My Virtual Summer Vacation: Goin’ to the Chapel

Friday, June 17, 2011

I’ve always been fascinated with sacred architecture, and over the past several weeks as I’ve been collecting images of the different places I’d like to visit, I’ve also been collecting images for my screensaver/wallpaper on my computers. And many of those images are of places of worship: churches, chapels, cathedrals, abbeys, monasteries. So for today’s virtual vacation, we’re “goin’ to the chapel” and visiting a handful of worship sites around the world. Because there are so many beautiful examples of architecture, I’ve only included a few. If I’ve missed one of your favorites, please feel free to post a link in the comments! (Click the image to open the slideshow in a new window/tab.)

Australia & New Zealand

Iceland, Greenland, and Scandinavia

Eastern Europe & Russia

Western Europe

The United Kingdom

1. Friday, June 17, 2011 8:16 am

Oooooo, I wanna go to church in Western Europe! How mystical and beautiful! Goodness….doesn’t God create the most glorious backdrops for His people’s worship gatherings? Love it!

• Friday, June 17, 2011 9:59 am

I think that’s what I’m drawn to in that set more than anything—not necessarily the man-made architecture of the buildings themselves, but the divinely created architecture of the settings in which they sit!

2. Friday, June 17, 2011 9:48 am

this is my favourite post so far! I loooove old churches and cathedrals. … I almost DIED in england with all of the glorious architecture.

I am always hunting out beautiful churches. Though I appreciate the ornate opulence of those featured in your eastern european examples and your english cathedral example, my FAVOURITE are the maritimer wooden churches like those featured in this picture from Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia ( one of the prettiest places in all of Canada ):http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3562/3452215375_52962e4186_b.jpg

I LOVED THIS POST! I want to see all of these churches, too!

• Friday, June 17, 2011 9:57 am

I love the contrast between the ornate, gold-domed worship palaces in Eastern Europe and the plain, small wooden—and even sod!—churches in Iceland (most of the pictures in the Iceland, Greenland, and Scandinavia set).

Of course, when I look at the pictures of all those huge stone cathedrals, all I can think of is being in there when music is being played/sung. Pipe organs and choirs and enormous cathedrals . . . bliss!

I had at least four times as many pictures that I wanted to share, but I’d spent more time on this than I should have to begin with!

3. Friday, June 17, 2011 9:49 am

I agree with Sherrinda! These are amazing pics! I specifically like the purple flowers in the 2nd pic.

• Friday, June 17, 2011 10:00 am

I love that, too! That’s why I included the one picture in that set of the field of the purple flowers with the church barely visible in the background.

4. Friday, June 17, 2011 11:33 am

OK, now I want to watch “Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade” again! or “National Treasure!” And wasn’t there a Monty Python sketch that featured “Lupines?” I absolutely loved the pics, and most especially of the Iceland, Greenland, and Scandinavia ones. And I have NO roots in that part of the world, that we can find! There’s just something clean about them that speaks to me. What draws me to the UK ones are the gardens surrounding many of them. How absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing your “vacay” with us! 😀

5. Friday, June 17, 2011 4:07 pm

You got one of my favorite churches, St. Basil’s Cathedral, and even my favorite shot of it. The one with the fireworks behind it. I have that wallpaper too. Susie Warren told me the fireworks were probably Photoshopped in because they don’t usually do fireworks shows that are visible from Red Square. But she told me it was the best shot of the cathedral she’s ever seen and really captured its magnificence.

I love St. Basil’s so much that I cross-stitched it! Clicking should make the picture bigger, if the code is done right.

You missed my other favorite, The Church Of Our Savior on Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg, built on the spot where Alexander II was assassinated in 1881. It was the last of the great Russian cathedrals.

• Friday, June 17, 2011 4:07 pm

And it didn’t work, so here’s a link to the one I cross-stitched. It hangs above my bed.

6. Friday, June 17, 2011 6:59 pm

I have seen quite a few of the aussies churches and been in a few in Tasmania. Its sad the Cathedral in New Zealand is no longer standing because of the Christchurch earthquake.
    Love the slide shows.

• Friday, June 17, 2011 7:09 pm

It wasn’t completely destroyed. The primary damage is from where the tower and spire fell:

But I just couldn’t bring myself to include that picture in the set, especially since they’re working on restoring it.

7. Friday, June 17, 2011 10:07 pm

The earthquake this week has caused even more damage which is so sad. My brother and family were living over that way last year just out of Christchurch in Darfield and my Niece said it was so sad seeing the cathedral damaged as it was a focus point when she went there. She loved it and said it was beautiful.
    hopefully it can be restored and the quakes will finally stop.