2010 Reading List Update

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Because last year’s reading list ended up being so scattered—and because I didn’t meet most of the goals I set for myself—this year, I designed what I felt like was a much more reasonable reading goal list for myself.

The books I set a goal to read in 2010 are as follows:

Fiction:
Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton Have it. Have started it. Got a couple of chapters into it, but set it aside while trying to finish writing Love Remains earlier this year. Hope to get back to it while writing Ransome’s Quest, though only have a little more than two months to get that book finished. This one may have to wait until a later time, and I may have to listen to it on audio.

The Raven Saint by M. L. Tyndall Have it. Will wait until after I finish writing Ransome’s Quest to start it.

The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen It only took me a little more than a week to read this, the third in Julie Klassen’s series of early nineteenth-century historicals. Because this one was more like a traditional romance novel, with more traditional themes and settings, it was much easier for me to get into it. I read it during the little bit of downtime I took after finishing Love Remains and before starting Ransome’s Quest, and it made for a nice mental transition from contemporary to historical mindset.

Daisy Miller and Washington Square by Henry James Have started reading Daisy Miller, but, once again, this has been set aside while I’m working on Ransome’s Quest.

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie Not yet started.

Love is Monumental by Annalisa Daughety Started reading it the day I received it from Amazon. I’m only at Chapter 10 right now—but that’s no commentary on Annalisa’s writing. I’ve been longing to get back to reading this book, and hope to finish it while I’m in Arkansas next month.

Nonfiction:
Walden and Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau On hold until a later time.

Louisa May Alcott: The Woman Behind Little Women by Harriet Reisen On hold until a later time.

Mission: Cook!: My Life, My Recipes, and Making the Impossible Easy by Robert Irvine Have read about a quarter of this. It’s one of those that I can pick up and read for ten or fifteen minutes and then put down again. A great book to have on hand with my kind of lifestyle!

The Pleasures of Cooking for One by Judith Jones I’m not going to sit down and read a cookbook cover to cover. However, as with Robert Irvine’s book, this one is nice to have sitting out on the table so that I can pick it up and peruse it for five or ten minutes while cooking or waiting for my TV program to come back from commercial.

And here are the books I’ve actually read (or listened to on audio) in 2010:

Fiction

• Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban* (audio)
  • Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire* (audio)
  • Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix* (audio)
  • The Dead Travel Fast by Deanna Raybourn** (audio)
  • The Silent Governess by Julie Klassen
  • Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince* (audio)
  • Love Is Monumental by Annalisa Daughety (currently on page 52)
  • Powers by John B. Olson (currently on page 21)
  • Sixteen Brides by Stephanie Grace Whitson (currently on page 32)
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows* (audio—Currently on disc 3 of 17)
  • Star Trek*** (novelization of the movie) by Alan Dean Foster (audio—currently at 4:18 of an 8 hour recording)
  • Dracula by Bram Stoker*** (audio—currently at 2:30 of an 11-hour, 41-minute recording)
    • *Listened to at night while falling asleep
      **Listened to in the car driving to/from Shreveport and Hot Springs
      ***Listening to on my MP3 player when I walk on the treadmill instead of swimming at the gym

Nonfiction

• Patience with God: Faith for People who Don’t like Religion (or Atheism) by Frank Schaeffer
  • Unchristian: What a New Generation Really Thinks about Christianity…and Why It Matters by David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons
  • Make a Scene: Crafting a Powerful Story One Scene at a Time by Jordan E. Rosenfeld
  • The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Pirates by Gail Selinger with W. Thomas Smith Jr.

Edited

• Found in the Translation by Roger E. Bruner and Kristi Rae Bruner (YA Fiction, Barbour, Spring 2011)
  • Hope for Tomorrow by Patti Berg (Fiction, Stories from Hope Haven #3, Guideposts Book Club)
  • Our Family Christmas Karon Phillips Goodman (Devotional, Barbour, Fall 2010)
  • Strength in Numbers by Charlotte Carter (Fiction, Stories from Hope Haven #4, Guideposts Book Club)
  • High Stakes by Nicole O’Dell (YA Fiction, Scenarios for Girls #5, Barbour, Spring 2011)
  • A Simple Act of Kindness by Pam Hanson & Barbara Andrews (Fiction, Stories from Hope Haven #5, Guideposts Book Club)
  • Essence of Lilly by Nicole O’Dell (YA Fiction, Scenarios for Girls #6, Barbour, Spring 2011)
  • The Heart of the Matter by Leslie Gould (Fiction, Stories from Hope Haven #6, Guideposts Book Club)

So, what have you read recently?

1. Jennifer Elerick permalink
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:35 pm

Hey Kaye,
    I will be in Arkansas next month as well.

2. Jennifer Elerick permalink
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:35 pm

When will you be there?

3. Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:42 pm

So far, I’ve read:

Fiction:
    Book of Days by Jim Rubart
    Enemies Among us by Bob Hamer
    Deadlock by Robert liparulo
    Deadfall by Robert Liparulo
    Bride Collector by Ted Dekker
    Sons of Thunder by Susan May Warren
    A Bride Most Begrudging Deeanne Gist (yes, I’m late reading that one)
    Pride & Prejudice
    Vanish by Tom Pawlik
    Guardian of the Flame by TL Higley
    Watcher in the Woods by Robert Liparulo (YA)
    Timescape by Robert Liparulo (YA)
    Whirlwind by Robert Liparulo (YA)
    Summer of the Midnight Sun by Tracie Peterson

Nonfiction:
    Tea with Hezbollah by Dekker/Medearis
    The Gospel for Muslims by Thabiti Anyabwile
    American Heroes: In the Fight Against Radical Islam by Oliver North

I’ve edited my own works, written a book, started (and 1/4 of the way through the next one), and critiqued a few manuscripts too, but I won’t enumerate those. LOL There are other books that I’ve read but…can’t think of them right now. And I have several I’m halfway through.

4. Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:43 pm

OH! I just saw you have Pirates Latitudes on there. I downloaded the samples to my Kindle–I think i’d really like to read that one. Let me know what you think!

• Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:37 pm

I’ll bring it to you at ICRS, if you’ll bring it back to me at ACFW.

5. Teresa Lockhart permalink
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:45 pm

I’m currently reading Boundaries. It’s a great book about establishing and respecting boundaries in your life and the lives of others.

• Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:59 pm

I’m sure it’s about expanding your boundaries, but does it have anything in there about contracting your boundaries to let more people in? I could use something like that!

6. Jessamy permalink
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:12 pm

Right now I’m reading “A Long Fatal Love Chase” by Louisa May Alcott. It’s an interesting contrast to “Little Women.” I love how her heroines are always really strong-willed–even if they’re also submissive.
    I just got Remember to Forget by Deborah Rainey, so I’ll be starting that soon.

• Jennifer Elerick permalink
      Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:41 pm

I have read “A Case for Love” this year of course and ” The Last Song” which was actually really good even if it isn’t Christian fiction. I also read “Cool Beans” by Erynn Mangum. I am very much a fan of hers too. She wrote another series that I finished awhile ago and loved too ( Miss Match, Rematch and Match Point) So many good authors now adays..Keep em comin…(=

7. Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:22 pm

It never ceases to amaze me how much I actually squeeze in to read each year. 🙂 Two of your books are already included in this year’s list for me. My biggest accomplishment has been reading the Bible cover to cover from January to March. 🙂

8. Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:55 pm

When I see long lists of books read by all of you, I feel like such a slacker . .. but here goes:

Completed:
    The Frontiersman’s Daughter by Laura Frantz
    A Case For Love by YOU
    Beguiled by Deanne Gist and Mark Bertrand
    Never Say Never by Lisa Wingate
    Love is a Battlefield by Annalisa Daughety
    Three Weddings and a Giggle by Liz Curtis Higgs, 2 other authors
    Mixed Signals by Liz Curtis Higgs

In Process:
    Life Unhindered by Jennifer Kennedy Dean (non-fiction)
    The Husband Tree by Mary Conneally (just checked it out)

And I may have read some others and just can’t think of them right now.

• Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:57 pm

Yeah, well, my numbers are padded because I have several listed that I’ve barely started, and all the Harry Potter books I’ve read before, multiple times, so I don’t know if those should really count or not. Take those out, and I’ve actually only completed reading two novels and four nonfiction books.

9. Tuesday, April 27, 2010 9:59 pm

A Case for Love, of course. 😉

Karen Kingsbury’s “Shades of Blue”. Liked it a lot more than I thought I would. (Spoilers ahead)…I was sure that the guy was going to dump finacee for old girlfriend…when he didn’t I was so happy.

Once in a Blue Moon by Leanna Ellis…enjoyed very much

Been on an Agatha Christie thing…must be the whole sick in bed thing for two weeks thing. I love her writing so much and it’s a nice change of pace from the normal historical/contemporary romance diet–read “Murder on the Orient Express”, “The Mysterious Affair at Styles House”, “They Do it with Mirrors”, “Death on the Nile”, “The Clocks”, and today “The Curtain”. Didn’t like the last, only because–sniff–it’s Poirot’s last case. I love him so much. 😉 I think he’s my favorite of all her detectives. On that note…very excited about the upcoming “Muder on the Orient Express” with David Suchet. He’s TOTALLY Poirot!

• Tuesday, April 27, 2010 10:03 pm

I’m very much a Miss Marple fan . . . but have to admit that I’ve never actually read the books, just watched the BBC/PBS movies (in which Geraldine McEwan is my favorite Miss Marple). I have been meaning to read A.C.’s stuff, just have had to relegate it to the back of the line (behind Dickens and several other early Victorian authors whom I’ll be reading if the proposal for my next historical series sells).

10. Wednesday, April 28, 2010 6:38 am

I’ve been trying to be more intentional I guess I could say about my reading this year. Actually finishing what I start before moving on to something else…my book counts have been way down the past few years due to me letting myself get so easily distracted. It helps that I cut a few shows from my DVR schedule too. So far this year I’ve finished and reviewed 18 books, so I’m hopeful that I’ll keep this momentum going and plow through my TBR pile.

• Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:28 pm

Finishing something before moving on to another book. Hmmm . . . there’s a novel idea. 😉

11. Audrey permalink
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:36 am

I have read so many books recently I can’t even begin to remember them all.

Beguiled-Deanne Gist
    Surrender Bay – Denise Huter
    Runaway – Meg Cabot (And re-read the first two in that series before that one came out)
    Fools Rush In – Janice Thompson
    The Raven Saint – ML Tyndall
    A Case For Love – YOU
    Apple Turnover Murder – Joanne Fluke
    Hero At Large – Janet Evanovich

• Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:28 pm

I’m keeping a list this year–on one of the pages from my big Post-it Flip Chart pad, which I’ve removed and stuck to the wall in the office. One side is books read and the other side is books edited. My goal is to have both sides filled by the end of the year.

12. Jennifer Elerick permalink
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 4:23 pm

I love Deanna Gist and Lisa Wingate and will read about anything they write but I think I am behind alittle. I think I missed Beguiled.

• Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:27 pm

I’ve added a couple of Lisa Wingate’s books to my wishlist at Amazon. Don’t know when I’ll get around to them, though. :-/

13. Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:26 pm

Oh, dear. Just got another book in . . . The Bridegrooms by Allison Pittman.

See, this is a good argument in favor of cutting back my cable service to standard cable instead of the digital package + DVR. If I get rid of digital and the DVR, it’ll cut back the number of hours I watch because I won’t watch all those shows I only watch because I have series recordings set for them. I could actually read (and finish) more books!

• Wednesday, April 28, 2010 5:54 pm

I have seriously thought about cutting back my channel package to save some $ more than how it would impact my time, but I don’t want to give up BBC America and TCM…sigh…decisions, decisions…

• Wednesday, April 28, 2010 6:08 pm

I figure if I can’t watch it “live,” I’ll eventually be able to get it on DVD. ‘Cause I won’t be cutting back my Netflix if I cut back the cable!

14. Thursday, April 29, 2010 10:59 am

Too many to name. I’m on my 40th book for the year. Mostly fiction and a few non-fiction that I’m still working my way through, as I read these slower and most recently, with a highlighter in hand.

My favorite fiction this year so far has been:
    Songs of Deliverance by Marilynn Griffith