New Series–Need a Title . . .

Monday, July 30, 2007

Okay, so I’ve figured out what the next series is, but my brain is fuzzy (have an infection and I’m running a low-grade fever tonight—and it’s miserably hot outside and I had to run in and out of a couple of stores to pick some stuff up on the way home. Fun times.) so I need help coming up with a catchy title for it. Come on, all you writers out there—put on your creativity-caps and help me come up with a title for the new series on:

How to apply the comments and critiques you’ve received on your manuscript (from contests, crit partners, mentors, etc.), and how to revise your manuscript without wanting to spill blood—yours or someone else’s. We might even get into writing the dreaded synopsis and proposals.

(Little bit long for a series title, ain’t it?)

Tomorrow, for those who don’t want to go back and re-read the entire series I did on critiquing (see the Fiction Writing Series page for links), I’ll discuss critiquing a bit—both from the point of view of a critiquer/contest judge as well as the point of view of a writer receiving crits.

I’ll also really want y’all to chime in with your knowledge, advice, and experiences as this is a process that is unique for each person—I’ll be trying to speak in generalities, while also giving my personal experiences. Yours are just as important. Let’s make this a real discussion—treat it like a forum instead of a blog!

So come on, now–let’s see some names!

Okay, so you think you deserve something if you come up with the winning name? How about . . . a $5 gift certificate to Barnes & Noble?

1. Monday, July 30, 2007 9:17 pm

This is so timely for me. And I hope you are feeling better soon!

How about Sifting, Sorting, and Shaping: Polishing Your Prose to Elate Editors.

Too much alliteration? I’ll have to stew on it some more.

Feel better soon!

2. Monday, July 30, 2007 10:12 pm

I got nothing.

But I love titles! Give me a week or two, and I’ll come up with something, just in time for your closing post in the series. :/

3. Monday, July 30, 2007 11:05 pm

Hmm…great question. I’m putting on my thinking cap now, even though I hate hats. OK…

Bloodletting 101 (um, maybe not.)

I guess I’m not so hot at titles. Like Sally, I’ll think of some when you’re finished.

4. Tuesday, July 31, 2007 12:00 pm

How about:

Taking Constructive Criticism without Having an Aneurysm

OR

Editing: Rip, Slash, and Burn

PS: I totally think it should be a $5 gift certificate to Borders. I’m just sayin’… 😉

5. Tuesday, July 31, 2007 2:44 pm

How about “From Mud to Magic: Editing, Polishing, and Packaging Your Way to a Final Manuscript”

Okay, that wasn’t too many fewer words than what you said. But darn, if I saw a class with that title, I’d be interested.

B&N, B&N, B&N… (Sorry, I have personal issues with Borders.)

6. Tuesday, July 31, 2007 3:48 pm

“Lessons in Crit-ology”

I like Ruths suggestions and I too think Borders rules 😀 Can’t measure up to B&N 😀

7. luvbooks7 permalink
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 7:06 pm

The Pearl in the Oyster, shining and polishing the manuscript.

Too wordy, Perfecting the Manuscript, perhaps?

Lisa