Open Mic Wednesday 2/15/12

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

It’s Open Mic Wednesday. What’s on your mind?

1. Monday, February 13, 2012 12:20 pm

Once Upon a Time: “Beauty and the Beast” Edition
    This was one of my favorite episodes yet. Not only did we get to see that somewhere, deep down, Rumpelstiltskin still has some remnant of humanity about him, we also were treated to many (many) iconic touchstones from the Disney animated version of this fairytale—from Belle’s costume and hair to the single rose to Gaston’s buffoonery to Chip & Mrs. Potts—and we got our weekly dose of Evil Queen Regina at her witchy-bitchy best (or worst, which every you prefer to call it). And then there’s THE REVELATION at the end of the episode. (If you haven’t watched it yet, WATCH IT RIGHT NOW before reading any other comments on this episode, because The Revelation is rather important to the continuing storyline of the series.)

Oh, and in the very last scene, fans of LOST were treated to a glimpse of Crazy Island Claire. Just a glimpse, but there nonetheless.

Discuss . . .

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:04 am

I LOVED THIS EPISODE SO MUCH! I have to go back and rewatch it — Mom said she spotted the candelabra and clock in Rumplestiltskin’s bookcase.

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:50 am

I love this series! And unlike LOST, I can actually follow what’s going on better. LOL I have my 12 yr old son hooked on it, which I was very surprised by.

• Lady DragonKeeper permalink
        Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:09 pm

My little brother (my “OuaT” buddy) VCR’ed the episode for me –we just need to watch it! I’m curious to see why and how that stranger got there … is he a fairytale character or what?

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:19 pm

Not a spoiler, but I will tell you that the Handsome Stranger doesn’t show up in this episode. 😦

2. Monday, February 13, 2012 12:23 pm

Downton Abbey: Nominations for Stupidest Storyline This Season
    I’ve narrowed it down to the top (or bottom) three stupidest storylines in Season 2 of Downton Abbey:

A. Ethel, the Major, and the Baby (and Mrs. Hughes)
    B. Lord Robert’s midlife crisis (and Jane)
    C. Is he Patrick or is he Peter?

Even with as much as I loved the second season (and I have watched it all the way through, including the Christmas special, airing on PBS next week), these three subplots just didn’t work for me.

Thoughts?

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:14 am

B. Robert and the maid. That plot made me so angry, and it was what prompted me to watch a stream of the season finale while it was airing in the UK.

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:20 am

The second season was definitely not as well crafted/written as the first season, but still contains enough strong storylines to make me want to watch a third. I agree about the three pointless subplots. Unless the Patrick/Peter thing isn’t over. Still, I didn’t like it.

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:52 am

Ugh. Lord Robert’s midlife crisis just doesn’t make any sense to me. He doesn’t seem like the lord of the manor who is sleeping with the maid type. Definitely didn’t flow with his character.

• Rachel Wilder permalink
      Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:13 pm

A, Ethel, the Major and the Baby. Ugh! I never liked Ethel anyway.

Robert and Jane’s thing didn’t bother me. I actually liked it. Cora has been neglecting him with all the war work and then the wedding preparations. It made sense to me, and I’m glad he found his honor again before it went too far. It felt very real to me.

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:19 pm

I was starting to think I was the only one who thought Robert’s almost-affair actually felt realistic. Thanks for sharing your perspective!

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:15 pm

I probably would have found it more palatable (not condoned it, but not minded it so much) if it hadn’t been so awkwardly written/acted. Watching, I felt like the actors themselves were uncomfortable with the storyline.

• Charmaine permalink
      Wednesday, February 15, 2012 3:32 pm

Regarding Ethel and the Baby, I think that was put in to show the plight of an unwed mother in that day. I was glad she would not give up the baby. Maybe the grandmother will make some contact. However, we may never hear from her again.
      The sex between Jane and the master of the house was a complete surprise. No comment otherwise. I wonder if she will turn up pregant from that affair and it be a boy. He sure took a chance. That would be a new twist for a future series.
      I think the soldier was an imposter, had worked with Patrick. He kept pumping the daughter for information of where their investigation was going. I don’t think he would have given up otherwise. Don’t think we will hear from him again.
      Wonder if Mary can get out of her engagement and live happily ever after with Matthew.
      I was surprised about Thomas. I think they are trying to get our sympathy for him.
      I watch the episodes on Xfinity and catch a lot more the second and third time. I like this because I can fast forward over the parts I’m not interested in.

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:14 pm

Charmaine, they didn’t have sex, they stopped at kissing, so no baby from Jane—at least not one she can claim is Lord Robert’s.

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:48 pm

Thanks…I was wondering if I missed something from the DVD. I thought they just kissed a handful of times.

3. Monday, February 13, 2012 12:36 pm

I am now cable-TV-less.
    I got my cable TV service turned off on Monday. Frankly, though, given the fact that most of the time, I would sit and flip channels and complain about how there was nothing interesting to watch on (or which wasn’t a re-run on HGTV or Food Network—or as I now call it “The Chopped and Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives Channel” . . . seriously, how many back-to-back hours can people be expected to watch those two shows, which seem to be the only ones on that station anymore!?!), I think I’m not going to have much issue with withdrawals. Of course, now I have all of my local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, Fox, WB, Ion, CW, and some affiliate stations of those) in glorious, crisp, clear HD, which I didn’t have with cable (would have had to pay LOTS more for that) all with just a simple rabbit-ear antenna that cost less than $9 and doesn’t even require electricity. Now all I have to do is take the cable box equipment back to one of their offices (there’s one not far from work, so I can save gas $$ by going there tomorrow after work).

It will be interesting to see if I start making more use of the DVD portion of my Netflix subscription, which has been vastly underutilized in the past six or eight months (I have the one-DVD-out-at-a-time level, and my one DVD has been sitting on the table since January 9, unopened, unwatched).

Do you watch TV at all? Do you have cable? If you do have cable and had to get rid of it, what would you miss most?

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:13 am

I dont have cable or pay tv as its called here. I can’t afford it and the only channels I would really want are the sports channels. which cost even more. (arouND $80)
      we have had a few digital channels added last year which is nice but often at night there isn’t alot to choose. I tend to read at night. The worst night is Saturday afternoon.

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 2:35 am

We cut our cable last August with the same result as you (now watching in HD – whoohoo). We have a TiVo and they wouldn’t give us the combo price because of cable cards not supporting the ability to easily watch pay-per-view stuff, etc. So, we paid more for Standard than people paid for digital. (grr) Any cable shows we used to watch that can’t be found legally for free, we download from Amazon. (Top Chef, Eureka)

The result has been much more room on the TiVo and my husband has made more use of Netflix (Top Gear, Frazier…)

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:14 am

I’ve not had cable for about 5 years or so. I don’t miss it at all. I have an antenna, but most nights the TV isn’t even turned on.

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 7:25 am

No cable. Never had it. Rabbit ears and the main broadcast stations and Hulu.com. And one DVD at a time from Netflix. It’s more than enough.

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:47 am

Honestly, I think the only thing I would miss is NCIS marathons on USA – and Psych, but at least Psych episodes are on Netflix, eventually, which we watch through our Wii. I keep thinking they’ll get NCIS streaming, but they haven’t yet. We’ve toyed with the idea for a while, just for the cost-savings. Since I’m tired of “House Hunters,” I could do without. 🙂

• Rachel Wilder permalink
        Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:15 pm

The only “new” CBS show I’ve seen on streaming is Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior. Which lasted one season and was TERRIBLE.

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:55 am

I had to get rid of cable and go to basic channels a while back and it was torture. There was nothing to watch, so we got Netflix. Then we got a better deal with another service so we got that and dumped Netflix since Netflix went up on their price.

• Misty permalink
      Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:51 pm

I wish my husband would agree to getting rid of cable. I hate paying for TV and we really don’t have time to watch a lot of TV, but I would miss tennis channel, ESPN (during tennis tournies) and Psych (but I’d get over it). 🙂 Or watch online.

4. Tuesday, February 14, 2012 10:20 pm

What else do you want to talk about?

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:01 am

Have you watched SMASH? I have really enjoyed it so far.

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:17 pm

Haven’t watched it . . . even with as much as I like movie musicals, TV shows that are musicals just annoy me.

5. Sarah Richmond permalink
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 11:25 am

Have you ever seen I Love Lucy? I really like watching it.

• Abigail Richmond permalink
      Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:43 pm

I like “I Love Lucy” too.

• Abigail Richmond permalink
      Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Glad you’ve joined us Sarah! (My sister)

• Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:19 pm

I’ve watched a few episodes of it over my life. I tend not to like it because I’m not a big fan of slapstick humor or humor that comes from embarrassing someone, and that seems to me like the basis of the humor in that show—either it’s pratfalls or Lucy doing something mortifying, just for a laugh. I don’t find either kind of situation funny, rather they stress me out, even when it’s happening to someone else and not me.

6. Abigail Richmond permalink
    Wednesday, February 15, 2012 12:42 pm

Lately my family and I have been watching “Wind at my Back” they are great if you haven’t seen it, well you should! I enjoy watching a lot of what Sullivan Movies have come out with. Some others by them which I enjoy are “Road to Avonlea” and of course “Anne of Green Gables” (all 4).