Open Mic Wednesday 2/1/12

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

It’s Open Mic Wednesday. What’s on your mind?

1. Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:35 am

Downton Abbey Season THREE Casting News!
    Apparently in Season 3 of DA, we get to meet Cora’s mother. And guess who they’ve cast—SHIRLEY MacLAINE! Yep, that’s right. Our favorite curmudgeon from Steel Magnolias (Ouiser) gets to go up against our favorite curmudgeon from DA, Lady Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham.

(And, dang it all, when I went to see if I’ve missed any other casting news for season three, I read a HUGE spoiler for the end of this current series. Now I’m mad, because I didn’t want any part of this season to be spoiled for me!)

• Wednesday, February 1, 2012 11:13 am

Shirley MacLaine is gonna be awesome on this show, that is some genius casting! I have come across some spoilers for this season too…but I’m still enjoying the ride. It is hard to avoid this stuff completely since it aired last fall across the pond! *sigh*

• Rachel Wilder permalink
      Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:41 pm

Yay! That’s going to be so much fun.

• Misty permalink
      Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:05 pm

Oh my!!! Shirley MacLaine will be perfect! Bummer you read a spoiler! I haven’t searched DA because I am afraid of spoilers. Unless it was something telling me the Bates/Anna storyline is ending, that one is dragging a little for me.

• Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:20 pm

I could tell you, but that would be a spoiler! I live in New Zealand, and we had the first half of the Christmas Special last night, which will be followed by season three soon.

• Rebekah W permalink
      Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:05 pm

SERIOUSLY! Season 3 already! AHHHHHHHHH! Wait a sec, why are they replacing Maggie Smith! NOOOO! She has the wittiest lines in the show!

• Wednesday, February 1, 2012 4:12 pm

Maggie Smith plays LORD Grantham’s mother. Shirley MacLaine will be playing LADY Grantham’s mother. They’d lose most of their viewers if they got rid of Dame Maggie!

2. Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:38 am

Once Upon a Time SEASON TWO (and one) Casting News!
    According to Entertainment Weekly, Barbara Hershey, the queen of emotional manipulation from Beaches, will be joining the cast of Once Upon a Time as a guest star in this season and for a three-episode arc in NEXT season. Yep, you read that right—even though ABC hasn’t officially announced it yet, one of our favorite new shows of this year will be getting a second season.

(If you want to know who she’ll be playing, you can click on the link to read the article on EW’s website.)

• Misty permalink
      Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:19 pm

I’m surprised this show is going to carry over for another season. It has really fizzled for me lately.

3. Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:41 am

From the people who brought you Sister Wives and The Real Housewives franchise comes . . . Preacher Wives!

Read more here: http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/01/31/preacher-wives/ then come back and share your thoughts.

• Rachel Wilder permalink
      Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:40 pm

That’s just frightening.

4. Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:43 am

Bueller . . . Bueller . . . Bueller . . .
    Here’s the extended version of the Matthew Broderick/Ferris Bueller Honda ad for the Super Bowl:

• Wednesday, February 1, 2012 10:36 am

THAT made me smile. 🙂

• Wednesday, February 1, 2012 11:53 am

That was great! I have fond memories of going to see that movie on one of my first dates with my hubby, Brian. At least that’s what I thought his name was at the time. He took the occasion of seeing Ferris Bueller’s Day Off to break the news to me about his real name, once we were seated in the theater. When I wouldn’t believe him, he took out his driver’s license. There it was, officially undeniable. Ferris.

• Misty permalink
        Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:06 pm

That is a fun story! Haha!

• Misty permalink
      Wednesday, February 1, 2012 2:15 pm

LOL! What a hoot! Good stuff! My parent’s wouldn’t let me watch this movie when it first came out. I was too young and the language was too bad. I remember they rented it one night while one of my cousins was in for a visit (a much older cousin), they packed us off to bed and stayed up watching it. I was 10 or 11 at the time, so good call by the folks. 🙂

• Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:09 pm

That was a great commercial. I loved that movie when it came out.

• Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:14 pm

It gets funnier every time I watch it. The first time, I was like, “Meh.” Now I laugh harder every time. Love the scene with the walrus…

5. Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:43 am

Speaking of the Super Bowl . . . will you be watching/partying? What are your Super Bowl Sunday plans?

• Wednesday, February 1, 2012 10:38 am

I could care less about the game, but we’ll be spending the evening at some friends – we’re actually calling it a reunion party – Super Bowl Sunday 2009 was when the power came back on after the Ice Storm, and we were together cooking frozen pizza on top of the gas range THAT night! Plus, my best friend will keep me from being a total sports pansy. She explains football to me. 🙂

• Rachel Wilder permalink
      Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:39 pm

I only watch when the Saints are in it.

• Wednesday, February 1, 2012 5:02 pm

I never watch the Super Bowl, I have no interest in football at all.

6. Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:47 am

Movie Character Legos
    Lego just released a new Lord of the Rings/Fellowship of the Ring character set.

If you could pick a movie cast you’d like to have as Lego characters, what movie would it be?

7. Wednesday, February 1, 2012 12:51 am

Where are some unusual places in your house where you have books stashed/stored?
    (No, that’s not a picture of my house, just one I found online.)

• Rebekah W permalink
      Wednesday, February 1, 2012 3:07 pm

I would love to have a library like that!! Hmmmmm, can’t think of any unusal places for them to be stored…

8. Wednesday, February 1, 2012 8:34 pm

OK, I have a question. I’m not sure if this is the right place, but you said Open Mic…

I was commenting on a Facebook page about how today is the first of the month, which seems to be when all the Kindle freebies are released. An author commented, saying that downloading free books is just stealing income from authors.

I said it’s good marketing from the publishers (as it’s often to promote a new book from the author, like how your Ransome book was free just before Turnabout came out). I might not buy a full-price new title from an author I’ve never read before, but I’m a lot more likely to if I read and enjoyed one of their previous books, even if that was a Kindle freebie.

She replied that authors get paid little enough as it is so they can’t afford to not collect the cents per book on something just because the publisher gave it away.

I’m kind of puzzled. I assumed that a good contract would mean you got paid royalties of x per book based on the number sold, and that ‘free’ sales are still a sale (unlike, for example, sales in second-hand shops). And how do library copies figure in?

• Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:24 pm

Iola, you’re more than welcome to quote me on this. This is from a Q&A blog post I did three months ago. The question was on my thoughts about libraries/readers getting their books from libraries instead of buying them. But much of what I wrote goes for Kindle freebies, too. (And, for the record, I ASKED Harvest House to consider offering Ransome’s Honor for free to promote the release of Ransome’s Quest.) Here’s what I wrote on this question before:

If someone checks a book out from the library (or downloads it for free as an e-book) and falls in love with it . . . if that reader can afford it, she’ll start buying that author’s books. And if she can’t afford it, she’s still going to be someone who helps sell the book(s)—by word-of-mouth marketing. If she reads it and enjoys it, she’ll recommend it to someone else. And then they’ll recommend it to someone else, and so on. That’s one of the reasons publishers give away so many copies of an author’s book when it first releases—to get that word-of-mouth buzz going.

Working in the newspaper industry for more than ten years, I learned two very important things about numbers. There’s circulation and then there’s readership. Circulation counts the actual number of units sold. Readership counts the actual number of people reading that volume/edition. So, say TFP sells 5,000 copies. We’ll say that 1,000 of those go to public or church libraries, and 4,000 of them go to the “end user” (the reader who purchases/downloads the book). If just 50% the 4,000 people who buy the book pass it on to someone else, I’ve now reached 6,000 people. Then, if each of those 1,000 library copies gets read by 6 people, I’ve reached another 6,000 people—bringing my total readership up to 12,000 people. Does that mean I’m making more money for having higher readership numbers? No, I only make money on the actual number of books sold. But the more readers I can reach, the more future book sales I will hopefully have.

The concept of readership vs. sales includes the free e-book downloads. I received many, many e-mails from readers who told me they downloaded Ransome’s Honor for free—and then as soon as they finished that one, turned around and immediately purchased Ransome’s Crossing and Ransome’s Quest. Or that they recommended it to someone else (even after it was no longer free). Or that they went ahead and purchased a hard copy of the book.

No, we authors don’t make money off books that are given away for promotional reasons (whether it’s the influencer copies the publisher gives away or free book downloads). But because I know how important it is to get my books in the hands of as many readers as possible—and because I’m someone who struggles financially but still loves reading myself—I tend to promote my books more when they’re cheap somewhere (like when the three Brides of Bonneterre books were each just $1,99 in paperbackat CBD.com or when Ransome’s Crossing was under $2 as an e-book just after Christmas) than when they’re full price. Because I know those books won’t stay that cheap all the time, and because I know how important it is to build word of mouth. Because word-of-mouth marketing works better than any other promotional method known to mankind.

• Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:44 pm

Thank you so much for your response! I think I feel a blog post of my own coming on…

• Wednesday, February 1, 2012 9:28 pm

Oh, and I should add personal experience here . . . I so thoroughly enjoyed the first e-book I downloaded from the public library system (a general-market historical romance I’d read a review of on a blog I follow), that I immediately checked out/downloaded the second book and read that too. But the library didn’t have the third book in the series. Fortunately, I started reading this series just before Christmas. And I got a couple of Amazon gift certificates for Christmas. So one of the first things I did was BUY/download the third book in the series. And I enjoyed that book so much that I went back and BOUGHT the first two in the series—even knowing that I had access to them from the library.