Open Mic Wednesday 1/12/11

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

It’s Open Mic Wednesday. What’s on your mind?

Is anyone else here watching Primeval on BBC-A?
How about the new series of Merlin on SyFy?
Worst Cooks in America on Food Network?
Downton Abbey on PBS?

I’m afraid to admit that I haven’t watched Castle since December (I haven’t even watched the last December episode yet).

Chuck comes back with new episodes next week!

And when is Bones coming back?

I haven’t caught any episodes of the new season of V yet, either. Need to get caught up on that one, too!

1. Wednesday, January 12, 2011 12:03 am

Rick Castle really IS ruggedly handsome!

You’re missing some good Castles. REALLY good Castles. And I’m so glad they were picked up for a fourth season!

• Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:14 am

That was excellent news, wasn’t it? I thought this week’s episode was great!

• Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:36 am

I know, I know . . . but with one book for Guideposts (someone else’s novel) and two of my own books (The Art of Romance and Ransome’s Quest) to edit this month, sample chapters to write for my historical proposal, a contemporary proposal to finish (no sample chapters needed, just synopses to write), traveling back to Nashville for MLK weekend (if we don’t get snowed/iced out), possibly getting a screw taken out of my ankle before the end of the month, figuring out what I want to do with my life/career and talking to my agent about it, MOVING BACK TO NASHVILLE by the end of the month*, and . . . what was that other thing . . . oh, yeah, ANOTHER MANUSCRIPT DUE APRIL 1, catching up on some of these TV shows is just going to have to wait.

*Fingers crossed, and barring any unforeseen complications.

• Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:38 am

And, just in case no one’s noticed the new counter over in the right column, I haven’t even started on said due book. I have no idea how it starts or exactly what happens in it. Can we say “getting out the Post-its to storyboard” as soon as I’m back home again?

2. Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:25 am

Primevil is in my netflix que, is it any good? LOVE Merlin, great fresh new take on an old story. Castle just keeps getting better, the energy between Rick and Kate is well done. Love the chemistry and humor. Chuck rules and I can’t wait for Bones to return on Jan 13th. V is looking great. I love that they’ve brought back the original Diana as a nod to the mini-series, while keeping the new show with Anna fresh and exciting. Anyone see the new series The Cape? I was afraid it would be really cheesy, but I thought they did a great job presenting the backstory and characters without dragging. I hope it stays this strong moving forward.

• Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:44 am

I love, love, love Primeval. Well, I do now that the 4th season is off to such a fabulous start. Thought there are times in the first three series (1 & 2 are together, only six episodes each, so it doesn’t seem like it was two seasons), there were times when I got frustrated with what the writers were doing with characters/the storylines, they’ve totally redeemed themselves with this new season. (If you haven’t heard the story, the show was canceled just before the last couple of episodes aired on BBC-A in the States—with a huge cliffhanger! But the fans and producers weren’t willing to let it go, and it was eventually renewed for two more seasons.) All of the first three seasons’ eps are available for Watch Instantly on Netflix. You can probably get through them pretty quickly. And then, before starting season 4, you’ll need to watch the “prequel” videos to this season on the BBC-A website: http://bbcamerica.com/video/primeval.jsp

• Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:29 pm

A friend on FB pointed out that individual episodes of Primeval can be purchased to watch online for $1.99 each.

3. Wednesday, January 12, 2011 6:37 am

I’m behind on Castle too. Sigh. And anxiously waiting for Bones too.

In other news, I got a Kindle for Christmas and found some of your books on a site that does ebook reviews! πŸ™‚ Was just excited to see you on there. πŸ™‚

• Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:46 am

I’m surprised at where my books crop up. Got an e-mail from a lady who’s a missionary in Papua New Guinea, way out in the bush, back around Christmas telling me how much she’d enjoyed reading one of my books and asking how many others I had out so that she could get the rest of them.

What I’m waiting for is getting my copy of the Turkish translation of Love Remains. Can’t believe that the first foreign rights sale I got was from Turkey!!

• Sylvia M. permalink
        Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:35 pm

That’s wonderful! You know that when one person loves one book well enough to buy all the rest by that author they are more than likely spreading the word to all their friends that read!

• Thursday, January 13, 2011 5:55 am

Turkey?? That is hilarious! Who knew? I was on Net Galley and Barbour is one of the companies that has e-books to review. They had the second two in the Brides series and the first in the Matchmakers. πŸ™‚ Fun!!

4. Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:00 am

I don’t know how this happened but I’m terribly behind on Castle too.

• Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:48 am

I have no excuse. Monday night during the BCS championship game, rather that switching over and watching the new ep of Castle, I flipped back and forth between the football game and the re-run of Hawaii Five-0. I’m starting to become a little bit infatuated with Alex O’Loughlin.

5. Sylvia M. permalink
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:11 am

Kaye, last night I saw that Turnabout’s Fair Play is up for pre-order on CBD! It hasn’t even been written yet. Aren’t they a bit early?

• Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:49 am

After I saw it there, I had to go find it on Amazon and add it to my Author Central book list.

I’m accustomed to my books going up long before the book is finished. I’m pretty sure, though, that this is the first time one has gone up before I’ve even started it. Though seeing a release date of November 1, 2011 was quite interesting, since I was told it would be a December release.

6. Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:16 am

I’m almost finished with Season 5 of BONES. Hopefully by the time Season 7 is over, I’ll be caught up and be able to discuss it in “real time.” Any word on whether or not it’s been picked up for an 8th season? I try my best to NOT watch or read anything about it, for fear of spoilers!

Loving CHUCK, and waiting anxiously for Scott Bakula to show up.

• Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:51 am

The bloggers on EW.com haven’t said anything about whether or not it’s been renewed for another season—they have been talking about the shows Fox has cancelled, though, and since Bones hasn’t been mentioned with those, I’m assuming it’s being renewed.

Chuck is the show which I’m very careful how much I read about it before the shows air. I want to be surprised by who the special guest stars are going to be, so I try to not even read the credits as they roll over the opening scenes!

• Wednesday, January 12, 2011 5:13 pm

You really think there’s a chance? They’ve sneaked him in, at least his voice or things he left behind, as much as they could so far. I wish it would happen.

7. Sylvia M. permalink
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 11:34 am

A day or so ago you said that you thought you had some wonderful news about your medical bills. Did that turn out as you had hoped ? I’ve been praying for you and this situation. πŸ™‚

8. Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:32 pm

And just in case all of you character-casting lovers haven’t seen it yet, I’ve started a new photo album on my FB fan page called “Man Menagerie” in which I’m collecting photos of hot guys I might one day use as templates for characters. If you have any suggestions to add, post a comment with names/links to pictures.

9. Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:21 pm

I saw the first episode of Worst Cooks but haven’t seen any since. I have been keeping up with Cupcake Wars, Top Chef All-Stars and Chopped, though. Really, it simply depends on what’s on when I sit in front of the television. I’m trying NOT to actually make time for these shows.

10. Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:09 pm

Since Hulu.com no longer has streaming rights for V, I’m going to skip it until it shows up on DVD via Netflix. Just not that into it anyway. CASTLE has been great! Looking forward to CHUCK’s return. Finally watching HEROES, via Netflix Instant Watch. I’ve started S3.

Kaye, did you ever see SHADES OF RAY, with Zac Levi and Sarah Shahi (who will be starring in FAIRLY LEGAL with Michael Trucco)? It’s free to watch on Netflix still, I think. Those two were great together. I just want SOMEONE to watch this so I can talk about it! πŸ™‚

And I’m sick. Coughing. Yuck.

And I’ve started a sequel to two of my historicals (going to tie two stand-alones together with it, if all goes as planned). I’d be interested in your take on sequel openings. Specifically, finding the balance of catching any new reader up on what’s already happened (in case that’s the first book they happen to pick up) and launching full steam ahead into the new story without annoying readers of the first book with too much recap. Think there’s a blog post in that? Or have you already done one?

• Sylvia M. permalink
      Wednesday, January 12, 2011 3:38 pm

I’m not a writer, but have read some sequals that just list a character cast in the front of the book with a line or two telling who they are and how they are related. That way they can jump into the story without having to have explanations about each character throughout the book.

11. Thursday, January 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Ok… Castle – great! We dont have cable and I am ALWAYS working so I catch up using one of these sites:

Also suggest: “Being Erica” start with season one!

If you need story ideas I have a bunch I am not using. I tried writing 5 years ago, but continued having kids. I have a few more years before I can actually sit and write. Besides, I have ideas daily that I jot down… I am loving the Matchmaker series. Kinda of like getting lost in the single womans world for a while πŸ™‚