Book-Talk Monday–Holiday-Themed Reading

Monday, October 29, 2012

As you may or may not remember, about five months ago, I was super-excited about a new story idea. And because of the title I ended up with (Five Golden Rings), it naturally lends itself to a Christmas-set story.

The weird thing about this is that I typically don’t read holiday-themed stories. At least, I don’t purposely seek them out. So that’s my book-discussion question for today . . .

Do you purposely read holiday-themed books during the holidays (primarily Thanksgiving and Christmas)?

I don’t usually, since I get my fill from the holiday-themed movies I either have on DVD or watch on TV . . . and because for the past several years, I’ve been on deadline in November or December and reading has fallen by the wayside. What about you?

If you do enjoy holiday-themed books, share your top three to five titles/authors that fall into this category and why you like them. Are they like movies—must reads each year? Or are they more like candy canes—consumed each year, but quickly moved on from?

1. Dora permalink
    Monday, October 29, 2012 11:50 am

I read A Christmas Carol, by Charles Dickens, every Christmas. In fact, even with all of the holiday themed movies and those based on the book, it doesn’t feel like Christmas, until I read it. I, also, read Jacob Marley’s Christmas Carol, by Tom Mula–A playright and actor. He has a unique look, into Marley and Scrooge, which I like. In addition, I enjoy reading Max Lucado’s Christmas books–The Christmas Candle, The Christmas Child and An Angel’s Story. An Angel’s Story has Gabriel’s take on Christmas. It is very thrilling. Once I read these, I have no time to read any other books.

2. Debbie Mitchell permalink
    Monday, October 29, 2012 12:09 pm

The only holiday themed novels I read are The Cape Light series by Thomas Kinkade. They came out around Christmas each year and I would read them from Thanksgiving to Christmas. But, sadly because of Mr. Kinkade’s passing, there will be no more in the series.

• Friday, November 2, 2012 11:04 am

Debbie, Yes, I believe there will be at least two more of his books coming out. I believe one will be coming out this year and one next year. You can go to his website or Katherine Spencer’s website to find out for sure. I love those books also.

3. Monday, October 29, 2012 3:08 pm

I guess I am a candy cane reader of christmas books. I normally don’t reread the books. But I have read a couple already this year. I love the Barbour Christmas Novella’s and have read two so far. Also read a couple of Love inspired Christmas books. Read Julie Lessman’s A Light in the window last week. I enjoy the books about the american Christmas with the snow etc but am glad we dont have it at that time of year. It would be so cool to have a book set in Australia for Christmas and talk about our traditions like back yard cricket etc. I do watch dvds also but think for the first year in many will not be watching Christmas Shoes this year.

4. Joanna McKenna permalink
    Monday, October 29, 2012 5:01 pm

I get more than enough holiday “cheer” not only via TV movies and commercials but by being in stores during the holiday shopping season (which apparently has already begun and it’s not even Halloween). I do read the unabridged version of Dicken’s “A Christmas Carol” and watch the Cameron Diaz movie “The Holiday” at least once in December. Overall I find holiday-themed books rather dull and thin on plot. There are only so many ways to make the inevitable happy ending a stay-up-all-night page-turner!

My fans at Hubpages must feel the same way. My one and only “Christmas” hub about how NOT to cook Christmas dinner gets practically no traffic during the holidays but is extremely popular from February through October!

5. Monday, October 29, 2012 6:35 pm

I enjoy a good holiday-themed book. I probably read two or three every Christmas season. It’s kind of mixed between new and old favorites. I also like stories where the holiday is backdrop, but not so emphasized that I can’t read the book other times of the year. The Devil and Miss Webster, one of the few Zebra Regencies I’ve squirrelled away for regular re-reading, is like that. It’s set at Christmas time at a country estate, and Christmas balls and mistletoe does figure into the romance, but it’s mostly in the background. I’ve read it in the summertime and not felt odd about it. I guess the rom-com equivalent would be While You Were Sleeping, which is one of my absolute favorite romantic comedies.

6. Monday, October 29, 2012 9:38 pm

If I get holiday-themed books then I usually put them off until the holiday season, because I do occasionally get in the mood for one during that time. One that I try to read every year is a novella collection called Cowboy Christmas by Catherine Palmer, Linda Goodnight, and Lisa Harris.

7. Misty permalink
    Tuesday, October 30, 2012 9:01 am

The only holiday themed book I have reread is Skipping Christmas by John Grisham. I love this book for all the emotions it invokes and the chaos present throughout the book, which is odd because I’m not a chaos person at all. I do enjoy Christmas themed books during the winter, but can’t think of any others at the moment.

8. Friday, November 2, 2012 11:42 am

Yes Kaye, I know this is a Monday question and today is Friday, but here is my answer anyway. I LOVE reading themed books. I even tend to read books about the beach during the summer. I don’t read too many Thanksgiving books, but when it comes to Christmas I have a bookshelf full. I buy new Christmas themed books every year. I’ve ordered several and they should be here tomorrow and I can’t wait. Last year I read “The Trouble With Angels” by Debbie Macomber, “The Christmas Wedding” by James Patterson, and “A Wish for Christmas” by Thomas Kinkade and Katherine Spencer. This year I will read “The Bridge” by Karen Kingsbury, ( I was told it was a Christmas read.) “Angels At The Table” by Debbie Macomber, “The Christmas Shoppe” by Melody Carlson, “The Christmas Lamp” by Lori Copeland, and ” A Snowglobe Christmas” by Linda Goodnight and Lissa Manly, plus more. It will probably take me into January to complete them all. Of course I love all of the Hallmark Christmas movies that come out every year and I will be watching them also.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,463 other followers