Book-Talk Monday: Five Favorite Books

Sunday, October 7, 2012

Here’s a little questionnaire I made up that we can hopefully all have fun with. The only rule is that you can choose only ONE book for each of the five questions. Try to choose a different book for each one, if you can. (And, yes, this says “Monday” and I’m posting it on Sunday. My prerogative.)

1. What’s your ONE favorite novel of all time, ever?
Remember—you can only pick one!

2. What’s your favorite YA novel that you read as a teen?

I have three that vie for the top spot in this category, two of which are by the same author. But I think because it’s the book that set me on the path to writing my own books, and the one I read most often during my teen years, I’ll have to go with Victoria by Willo Davis Roberts (#13 in the Sunfire Romance series).

3. What’s your favorite picture/storybook from childhood?

When my niece was young, I wanted to make sure she had some of the books I’d enjoyed as a child. The first one I hunted down and got for her was Corduroy by Don Freeman.

4. What’s your favorite book (fiction or nonfiction) that was a first-time read for you since October 2011?

I had to go to my Books Read in 2012 and 2011 boards to remind myself what I’ve read in the last year and to see which were the highest rated to choose from. As the true word-nerd that I am, I have to go with the only book I’ve given a five-star score in the October to October timespan: Melvyn Bragg’s The Adventure of English, audiobook read by Robert Powell.

5. You love the book; you love the movie. What’s your favorite book-to-film adaptation?

Most of you will probably expect me to go back to the book I mentioned in the first question, but I’m going a completely different direction and go with Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. It’s the only book I ever waited in line to purchase the day (night) it released, and the two films are some of the only ones I was willing to fight the crowds to go see the day they opened.

Your turn. Remember—only one book per question!

1. Michelle permalink
    Sunday, October 7, 2012 3:21 pm

1. Gone With the Wind
    2. That’s a really good question, because I’m certain I didn’t read any YA novels as a teen. I skipped on to adult novels. I’m going to cheat a little and say my favorite novel I read as a teen was The Devil on Horseback by Victoria Holt.
    3. The Little Engine that Could
    4. With Every Letter by Sarah Sundin
    5. Doctor Zhivago–One of my favorite books and one of my favorite movies.

2. Marcia Lahti permalink
    Sunday, October 7, 2012 3:54 pm

1. Dorothy Dunnett’s Checkmate
    2. Johann David Wyss’s Swiss family Robinson
    3. Marcia Brown’s Cinderella
    4. Ginny L. Yttrup’s Words
    5. William Goldman’s Princess Bride

3. Sunday, October 7, 2012 6:31 pm

These are Hard!!
    1. I’m going with Shepherd of the Hills by Harold Bell Wright.(It would get best novel to play adaptation too, right before Les Mis.)
    2. Jackaroo by Cynthia Voigt
    3. Nana Upstairs and Nana Downstairs by Tomie de Paola
    4. Mortal Fire by C.F. Dunn
    5. Sphere by Michael Crichton

So many runner ups, but too many to name. :)

4. Dora permalink
    Sunday, October 7, 2012 9:06 pm

1. Has to be “A Christmas Carol.” There is no question. It is also a book I collect. The book has to be unabridged a in a printing, illustrator, what ever, I generally get a “New” one each Christmas. It is also the first book I downloaded to my Nook
    2. “Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret” By Judy Blume. Loved this book as a kid. Carried it with me everywhere. Left it everywhere, as well. Had to purchase multiple copies, just so I could finish it.
    3. The Lorax. Loved Dr. Suess.
    4. Pride and Prejudice. By Jane Austen
    5. You will probably expect me to pick a “Scrooge” adaptation, but I think the best movie book adaptation, except the obvious, for me would be “A Time to Kill”

5. Sunday, October 7, 2012 9:30 pm

It’s Monday here in New Zealand.
    1. Pride & Prejudice
    2. A Summer To Die by Lois Lowry
    3. Dr Suess’s ABC
    4. Hard question! Let’s say Illusion by Frank Peretti
    5. Have to go book-to-TV here, and pick the Colin Firth version of Pride & Prejudice

6. Fiona permalink
    Sunday, October 7, 2012 11:16 pm

Ackk. Tricky pinning it down to one book for each.

1. Goodnight Mister Tom by Michelle Majorian
    2. Fifteen by Beverly Cleary
    3.A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
    4. Summer Rental – Mary Kay Andrews
    5. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (Toby Stephens, Ruth Wilson version)

7. Sylvia M. permalink
    Monday, October 8, 2012 1:29 pm

1. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
    2. I hardly ever read single teen books. Robin Jones Gunn’s Christy Miller series would have to be considered as a whole for me. Since you have requested only one book than I guess I’ll have to pick the tenth one A Time to Cherish. They have to be read in order though.
    3. I Go With My Family to Grandma’s by Riki Levinson.
    4. Travelers Rest by Ann Tatlock
    5. BBC’s 1995 Pride and Prejudice

8. Jenn permalink
    Monday, October 8, 2012 3:26 pm

1. Anne of Green Gables
    2. Jennie McGrady mysteries by Patricia Rushford, I guess book one if I had to pick one
    3. Little Galoshes
    4.Heaven Help Helen Sloane fiction Beautiful Outlaw nonfiction (so I cheated on this one:)
    5.old BBC Pride & Prejudice

9. Monday, October 8, 2012 6:22 pm

1. The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien (yes, it’s all one book–commonly published in three volumes)
    2. Mara, Daughter of the Nile, by Eloise McGraw
    3. Socks for Supper, by Jack Kent. I don’t know why I loved this book so much. I’ve read it to younger siblings and it’s nothing special, but I strongly remember requesting this book many times as a child
    4. Chalice by Robin McKinley
    5. Anne of Green Gables. It’s one of the few book-to-film adaptions that I think is superior to the book it was based on

10. Monday, October 8, 2012 8:41 pm

1. I am not really sure what my favourite book of all time is. Maybe the first Janette Oke book I read from the Canadian West series because it got me back into reading.
    2. Donna Parker camp councilor. (loved the book).
    3. I cant remember the name but it was a book with 3 fairytales including the Snow Queen.
    4. Saving Hope by Margaret Daley
    5. I think I would have to go for Seven Little Australians although it was more a series than a film.

11. Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:52 am

1. Betty Smith’s A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. Best. Book. Ever.
    2. (Also a Sunfire…) Susannah by Candice F. Ransom. Man, was that one amazing. She painted her hero so well, and the tear between love and duty and family… I read it over and over.
    3. Just like you… Corduroy!!!! I still love that book, and I still always want to cuddle that bear.
    4. I have no idea. I’m too tired to think right now!!
    5. Princess Bride. Book and movie both rock. It’s one of the few that I love equally. Even Gone with the Wind is better as a novel, but PB works both ways.

12. Misty permalink
    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 3:44 pm

1. I can’t pick one.
    2. Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery
    3. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendack
    4. The Preacher’s Wife by Jody Hedlund
    5. North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,413 other followers