Book-Talk Monday: Reader’s Block

Monday, September 24, 2012

Do you ever go through periods when you just don’t feel like reading? What does it take to get you back to the point at which you pick up a book and read again?

1. Monday, September 24, 2012 12:33 am

My problem is getting so caught up in the world an author creates, I don’t want to leave it. That world and those characters become the world I want to live in. To read something else, means I am being unfaithful. Isn’t that jusg nonsense. I am hopeless I think.

• Monday, September 24, 2012 2:19 am

LOL not at all. I, too, feel this way. Although, it’s less unfaithfulness and more disinterest in any other world.

2. Monday, September 24, 2012 2:22 am

Yes! It’s been a while since a book has held my interest. I knew when the sample of this one stuck with me for a few days that I needed to download and read it. I’m halfway through, and it’s really good so far. Few books do this when I’m in editing mode. I just nitpick them to death and never get sucked in.

3. Monday, September 24, 2012 5:36 am

Yes, usually when there’s something I have to read. LOL I’ll try to get into a reading mood but it doesn’t always work. To get reading again, I have to do something else for a while and then go back to it.

4. Barbara Hoeffler permalink
    Monday, September 24, 2012 6:37 am

That’s never happened to me! I’m always reading something. Sometimes I have more than one book going at the same time, for different times of day.

5. Joanna permalink
    Monday, September 24, 2012 8:42 am

I’m in one of those periods now. I OD’d on reading from devouring all seven of the Three Pines Mysteries in less than a week. (Yes, devoured.) To compensate, I began sequentially watching all 34 episodes of “Inspector Morse” with only a short break to read Graham Greene’s “Travels With My Aunt”. A stack of “To Read” books is gathering dust, partly because a friend got me all excited about “Far Pavilions” and there’s not a single copy to be had in my little town. Writing has also gone by the wayside. Very sad…

6. Monday, September 24, 2012 12:36 pm

I don’t think I have ever come to the place I want to stop reading. I tend to carry a book or my kindle everywhere I go. My main problem is finding enough time to read and how to chose the next one to open. God bless you guys.

Glenda Parker

7. Misty permalink
    Monday, September 24, 2012 3:07 pm

I have gone through non-reading phases, usually brought on by burnout or busyness. I was so busy earlier in the year I didn’t read for months! AHH! I eventually come across a book I can’t pass up, get sucked into and then one book rolls into another. And I return to a happy place. :o) lol! My husband and I are listening to a great audiobook, The Sword by Bryan M. Litfin, it was a recommendation from Audible, very good. :)

8. Misty permalink
    Monday, September 24, 2012 3:26 pm

This is completely off subject….I watched a really cute movie this weekend called The Decoy Bride. Kelly Macdonald was great and I now have a crush on David Tennant. lol

9. Audry permalink
    Monday, September 24, 2012 7:12 pm

I NEVER feel like I don’t want to read anything. I sometimes don’t want to read what’s available – I might have a fluffy romance on hand and feel Ike a good mystery or something, for example. I do often get frustrated if I read several books in a row that have so-so writing and simplistic plots, but that doesn’t make me stop wanting to read; it just makes me really want to discover a GOOD author (preferably with a long string of books published!) I also do sometimes get burnt out on a particular series, for example, earlier this year I decided to re-read Lois McMaster Bujold’s Vorkosigan series, but after about 10 books I needed to take a break and read something else for a while!

10. Tuesday, September 25, 2012 7:15 am

I had this happen after I left school I use to read all the time and then went several years hardly reading a book (besides non fiction type books). someone gave me a book it was actually a Janet Oke book and it had me hooked again.
    recently I have had a book drought but its more because of being sick and at present grieving. I am not sleeping so to tired to read much. I find I can read when the suns out and I can get outside. I do have the same thing with some books (I have 2 I am meant to review but neither of them is the type of book I want to read at present. One is just to heavy in subject and at present I really cant handle it. the other isn’t capturing my attention right now.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,464 other followers