Open Mic Wednesday 8/8/12

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

It’s Open Mic Wednesday. What’s on your mind?

1. Wednesday, August 8, 2012 1:23 am

Just got back from a trip (to a nearby city for a writing workshop) and feel so out of it that I need to make a list of the lists I need to make. Anyone else think of all the things you need to do while you’re away then immediately forget them once you get home? Or am I just special? =)

• ausjenny permalink
      Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:21 am

Cant say I dont I just dont want to go home mostly. but when In hospital I did think of things I had to do.

• Amanda Stephan permalink
      Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:51 am

Yes. I’m right there with you, JM. My lists have lists and then I get rebellious and don’t do any of them. Or I forget where I put the silly things.

• Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:13 am

I love lists! Before I travel, I make a list (or several, maybe) of everything I need to take with me–even as far as breaking it down into daily outfits so I know what clothes I’ll need to pack.

I rarely make lists when I’m on a trip as to what I need to do when I get home.

At work, I’m a HUGE listmaker. But with more than 150 students I’m responsible for advising, it’s the only way I can keep up with who needs what!

2. ausjenny permalink
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 3:24 am

Today I have been thinking about the trip I want to take next year and was wondering do others have somewhere they would love to visit?

next year I am hoping to come the States and one place I plan to visit on a tour is Gettysburg. I have wanted to go there for so long and the tour is called historical trails and visits several places from the Revolutionary war and the Civil war.

• Kara permalink
      Wednesday, August 8, 2012 6:11 am

ausjenny,
      If you do go to Gettysburg make sure you spend the extra money and hire a tour guide. They are worth every extra penny :) They know what they are talking about and they can practically make the battlefield come alive.

• ausjenny permalink
        Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:26 pm

Kara it will be part of a tour called historical trails and includes a guide which is really cool.

• Dora permalink
      Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:52 am

Gettysburg is a wonderful place. Also, I enjoyed Valley Forge, which is just outside Phillidelphia. If you are going to Pennsylvania and Gettysburg, you might want to go to Hershey and Lancaster County, as well. I have always enjoyed those places.

• ausjenny permalink
        Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:28 pm

dora the tour also goes to Valley forge and we go to Lancaster County but not Hershey (i dont like there chocolate so thats ok). We also see the liberty bell and Mount Vermon (sorry I know I spelt that wrong)

• Thursday, August 9, 2012 3:04 am

Oooh, Mt Vernon is a wonderful place. So peaceful. =)

• Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:15 am

I’ve been to Gettysburg multiple times and absolutely love it (though I prefer going in either the spring or fall during off-season when it’s not so crowded as it is in the summer months). The best tour I ever took of the battlefield was a two- or three-hour horseback tour. Even though I’d visited and done the full circuit driving tour around the battlefield several times before then, that was the time I had a feel for the scope of how large it truly is—when we’d only covered about 1/4 of the grounds by the time it was over.

• Wednesday, August 8, 2012 1:12 pm

If I ever get to go back I’ll have to do that. We did the driving tour. And as I stood there looking at the field where Pickett’s Charge took place, I turned to my dad and said “What on earth ever convinced him he could make it work?”

• ausjenny permalink
        Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:35 pm

I am hoping to go mid May so hopefully that will be a good time. i know we have a meal at night there. (of course I just need a little more work first)

3. Wednesday, August 8, 2012 6:11 am

Did anyone see Leo Manzano’s pre-game ritual before he ran the 1500m race at the Olympics? Soooo strange! Does anyone know what in the world he was doing? Here is a super short clip of what he did if you missed it.

4. Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:16 am

Monday, August 13, GRIMM comes back. I can’t wait!!!!

5. Daisy permalink
    Wednesday, August 8, 2012 10:43 am

Politically Correct Issues: Last week on TV I saw a meeting held at the National Press Club by the Coalition of African American Pastors that was held in Washington, DC. Since we are Christian writers and uphold Biblical principals and morality, I was most interested in their announcement. . . .This message has been cropped by the blog owner.

• Wednesday, August 8, 2012 11:18 am

Sorry–I’d prefer not to have discussion of religion/politics here. It’s too much of a hot-button issue and too many people have differing views, and I don’t want it to get heated.

• Daisy permalink
        Friday, August 10, 2012 2:23 pm

Correction is taken.

6. Wednesday, August 8, 2012 1:14 pm

I have two scenes left on my current novel! Then I’m going to try my hand at writing historical romance and SF at the same time. The HR is starting to call to me again.

• ausjenny permalink
      Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:39 pm

Rachel what is SF? (sorry non writer here) up to early to work it out.

• Wednesday, August 8, 2012 5:48 pm

Jenny, it’s short for Science Fiction. SFF is Science Fiction/Fantasy, which is usually lumped together in American bookstores. In the Christian market, it’s either called “Visionary” or “Speculative” fiction as an overall category, with sci-fi, fantasy, allegory, time-travel, etc. all being genres within the category.

• Wednesday, August 8, 2012 8:42 pm

Science fiction.

• Wednesday, August 8, 2012 9:38 pm

Thanks for the explanation I though maybe sci fi but wasn’t sure.

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,464 other followers