Great News!

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

I know I said I’d be taking a break from blogging for the remainder of April, but this is news I absolutely had to share . . .

As many of you know, I’ve been struggling financially for the past several years, as the publishing paradigm has changed and freelance work has thinned out to almost nothing. Even though I’ve been blessed to have a part-time job since September, because the freelance work was nonexistent, I knew I needed something full-time. Plus, I went back to college—and graduate school—so that I could have a career, not just a “job.”

A few weeks ago, I heard from a friend that an assistant editor position was opening in the children’s/gift-book division at one of the local Christian publishers. She would put in a good word for me if I planned to apply. I did, and I went in for an interview the next week. I didn’t walk away with an overly positive feeling about (a) the job or (b) my chances, but, still, it was an opportunity for full-time work, in a field in which I have experience and which provides a career path for me.

Last week, while still waiting to hear back about the publishing job, I went to the grocery store Wednesday afternoon after work. I didn’t realize until it was stuck in my head on the way home that I’d heard an ’80s song, one I’m familiar with but don’t really know the words to, at the store. Two words from the chorus kept ringing through my head: “Hold on.” I came home to blog about it—that it would be my new mantra—but when I looked the song up, the actual words to the chorus are “Our love holds on, holds on.” (“Oh, Sherry” by Steve Perry.) So I laughed it off and didn’t think much more about it (except that “hold on, hold on” was still running through my head, even though I now knew those weren’t the right words or even the meaning of the song).

Around 7 p.m., I checked my e-mail after not checking for a while, and there was a message from Bethel University (McKenzie, TN) responding to an application I e-mailed in more than a month ago for an Academic Advisor position in Nashville. If I was still interested, they’d like to set up an interview. I e-mailed her back and told her I was available any afternoon this week after 3 p.m. Then, after I clicked SEND, I thought, Oh, no! I have a doctor’s appointment on Monday afternoon. Hopefully they’ll want to meet another day.

Thursday morning, I had another e-mail from her, and, of course, she picked Monday as the day for the interview. So I sat there a minute. I could e-mail her back and ask for another day because of a previous commitment I’d forgotten about, or I could accept and get the ball rolling (and get off on the right foot with them) ASAP and try to reschedule my doctor’s appointment. I figured it would be better to try to reschedule with my doctor, so I e-mailed back and accepted the interview time.

As I was getting in the car an hour after accepting that interview time/date, my phone rings. Not a number that’s programmed in, which I usually won’t answer. But since I’d just sent someone a text message and had the phone in my hand anyway, I went ahead and answered. It’s the doctor’s office. My doctor is going to be out of the office the first week of April, so they need to reschedule my appointment for later in the month. (What timing, huh?)

Friday, I get an e-mail from the HR department at the publishing house saying thanks, but no thanks.

So the interview with Bethel was Monday afternoon (4/2). It went really well, I enjoyed the time spent with the two people who interviewed me, and I left even more excited about the job and the opportunity. I expected to wait another week or so, and hopefully to get a second interview.

So when I got a call (on my cell phone, but I was at work so couldn’t answer) yesterday morning from the lady I interviewed with wanting me to call her back as soon as possible, I started feeling even better about this job. Then, when I finally found a moment to call her back, I expected her to want me to come back to meet some other people in the office for another round of interviews.

No—she called to offer me the job with a start date of April 23. The salary is just under what I was making before I was laid off in 2008 (with opportunities for advancement), their insurance is great (health, vision, and dental), and even though they only give 5 personal days and 5 vacation days for the first five years of employment, the office shuts down for two weeks around Christmas, so I won’t have to use vacation time for that!

I put my two weeks’ notice in at the church yesterday so that I can have a week off (April 16-20) before I start the new job so I can focus on getting my book finished for my May 1 deadline.

Thank you all so much for all the encouragement and support!

1. Lourdes Montes permalink
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:20 pm

Congratulations!! Good to hear I have been out of work since 2008, so this gives me hope!!!

Lourdes

• Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:25 pm

That’s the year I was laid off, too. The first 18 months or so were great—because I signed two three-book contracts (so that meant advance checks) and freelance work was so plentiful, I actually had to turn jobs down. Since mid 2009, though, I went from turning jobs down to hitting up every editor I know for work. And while I’ve signed new contracts since then, the advance checks became money necessary to live on rather than the supplemental income they were before.

As I told a friend yesterday, I’ll feel rich, even though I’ll be making a little less than when I got laid off—because I’ll once again be able to pay my bills every month without having to worry about whether or not I’ll have money left over for groceries afterward!

2. Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:25 pm

Praise God! That’s awesome, Kaye. Not only does Jesus provide, but He provides the good stuff. Congratulations on your new job. :)

3. Rachel Wilder permalink
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:31 pm

I knew it was going to come soon! I just knew it. I’m so thrilled and happy for you.

4. Anne Payne permalink
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:33 pm

A huge Congratulations!!! I’ll be praying for continued focus in the writing arena. Gotta have my Kaye Dacus book fix, you know :)

5. Barbara Hoeffler permalink
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:33 pm

Congratulations! God had it all ready for you, you just needed to “hold on”. He is good! His timing is perfect! Thanks for sharing this post, it is encouraging. So happy for you.
    I have a comment for your previous post about challenges with your latest novel. As I am a struggling non-published unheard-of writer wrestling with my first attempt at a novel, I found it encouraging to know that a published author has struggles also. So often I think I should just give it up, because it’s not happening as smoothly as I had envisioned.
    Thank-you for the lesson, and my first instinct is to say, “Don’t worry, you’ll finish it, no problem.” but that is easier said than done. So, my prayers are that God’s Holy Spirit will clarify the plot for you, and open your eyes to His direction in your latest work.
    Bless you & Happy Easter!
    Barbara

6. booktalkandmore permalink
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 2:46 pm

I am so excited and happy for you! Talked to Lori today — next time we all get together a celebration is in order! :) Ruth

7. Sandy A permalink
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 3:55 pm

So excited for you Kaye!! Praying that your week off is very productive and you can put one more book under your belt.

P.S. Love Steve Perry’s voice!

8. Mary-Louise Johnson permalink
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:12 pm

Congratulations! So happy for you!

9. Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:34 pm

That’s wonderful news! Congratulations, Kaye!!

10. Pam K. permalink
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:43 pm

I’m very happy for you, Kaye! Thanks for sharing this wonderful news with us. I know how it is to wonder how the bills will be paid. God is really teaching me to trust him.

11. Sylvia M. permalink
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:48 pm

This is wonderful, Kaye. :) I’ve been praying for your financial and writing situations. God has answered that prayer. Maybe now that the financial pressure is off your writiing inspiration will come back.

12. Wednesday, April 4, 2012 4:51 pm

I’m so delighted for you, especially about the health insurance – what a difference that will make for you.

13. Jennifer permalink
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:18 pm

Congratulations! I am so happy for you!!

14. Michelle permalink
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:46 pm

Wonderful news, Kaye!!!! I’m thrilled for you!!!

15. Wednesday, April 4, 2012 8:52 pm

Kaye–I’m sooo happy for you! And I’ll keep you in my prayers for great things to continue to come you way.
    In Him,
    Avery

16. ausjenny permalink
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:10 am

Congrats thats wonderful news.

I know what its like to be looking for work and making ends meet. I am currently looking for work also and hearing others get a job is always encouraging.

17. Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:48 am

Congratulations! I wish you all the best!

18. A foolish one permalink
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 9:13 am

Congratulations also! It is so good to hear good news and how God works things out. Will continue to pray for you as you take the new job. God bless.

19. Melinda Cooper permalink
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 12:36 pm

Really awesome Kaye! Congratulations and I love how God works so wonderfully in our lives sometimes!! :)

20. Abigail Richmond permalink
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 1:54 pm

Congratulations! I will remember the day you start well since that is the day of my birthday, I will be 17.

21. mamablogga permalink
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 2:36 pm

And your interview was on my birthday, so there’s another good omen ;) .

HOORAY! I’m so happy for you.

My father was laid off in 2008, too, and it took almost two years for him to find another job. When he was hired, he posted on Facebook about how good it was to feel wanted again.

Best of luck on your first day!

22. Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:19 pm

Congratulations, Kaye!!!

Don’t be surprised if the writing starts to take off, just when you no longer have the time to commit to it. Because all that stress may well have affected your creativity/motivation/focus. I know it happens to me when life is just a bit more overwhelming that I feel able to bear. Happy for you, and looking forward to all the great books that will pour out of you now that you have no time to write them! ;-)

23. Misty permalink
    Friday, April 6, 2012 10:34 am

Congratulations! It is amazing how God works things out in His own perfect timing.

24. Sunday, April 8, 2012 2:48 pm

Thanks, everyone! I’m trying to get over the feeling like this is too good to be true and allow myself to believe that things are finally looking up for me.

25. April in Florida permalink
    Monday, April 9, 2012 9:46 am

That’s wonderful news! May God bless you in your new job.

26. Monday, April 9, 2012 6:08 pm

Glad for your good news and thanks for sharing how God blessed you! You must be so relieved and grateful, I pray this new position works out great for you!

27. Tuesday, April 10, 2012 8:00 pm

I’m so happy things are working out for you! hang in there, I know it doesn’t solve everything, but you are moving forward! You can do it and your story is going to be great (your life story and the one you’re writing!).

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 2,486 other followers